Second thoughts about buying a SC430

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-02, 04:43 PM
ronnie_guitar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

hey all,

I've had my Amethyst/Ecru SC430 a grand total of 3 days now, and I'm here to say that I am still a happy owner! ;-)

Seriously, to add to a few points on the thread:

Ride: my previous car was an MBZ E55 AMG. Before that I drove a BMW 540i. I would say that the ride I'm getting in my SC430 is every bit as comparable. In fact, compared to the AMG, which I reeeely loved, the SC430 probably has a smoother ride.

I can tell you this: the SC DEFINITELY has a smoother "transition" from a standing start and during acceleration. It steers better/more easily too. I think if one were previously used to "big sedan" rides (i.e. S500, 745i, etc.) than the ride is certainly less refined -- but at heart what we have in the SC430 is a roadster (albeit a cushy one ;-). My car also has the TRD rims (the latest all chrome variety) and I don't know whether that makes any difference or not (probably not).

Quality: Well, I can't say yet, except that I'd agree with other posters that a rattle here and there are things to live with or require the dealer to fix.

DropTop seems to have achieved legend status on the board for his troubles (good luck going forward dude!), but to me the key is how the dealer is handling it. If they are stepping up and dealing with each problem, that's key. If they are shirking responsibility, that sucks and they need to be called on it.

It certainly seems that DropTop merits a spankin' new SC. I'd seriously investigate the lemon laws in DropTop's region, and call Lexus directly if the dealer isnt forthright.

My dealer went as far as taking me through the warranty doc, and pointing out what my remedies, etc. were if I had more than a certain number of problems during a certain period of time, etc.

Loving the car: Well, I gotta gush here: IT ROCKS. Man, I find myself standing in the garge just looking at it. I leave work every day at lunch to drive it around. I'm just plain goofy over it!

And... I did compare against CLK 430/CLK 55, and my local MBZ dealer also had 2 new SL's. I checked the SL out and although it's awesome, why would I pay 125k for a car that lists for 90k and isnt SIGNIFICANTLY better (IMHO) than the SC?

OK, I've ranted enough... Glad to be here among the SC crowd, and looking forward to the combined wisdom going forward,

stay frosty...

rb

p.s. if anyone can provide some links to aftermarket providers of body treatments, etc. that would be nice.
Old 05-01-02, 06:57 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well I guess its my turn to chime in on this subject.. First off let me welcome ronnie_guitar to the SC430 Forum and thank him for his insight as a new SC430 owner.. Excellemt first post!

I've had mine for a little over 8 months now but about half of that time it was put down due to winter in my neck of the woods.. So far I haven't experienced bushing problems but like I said it hasn't been driven as much as some of my southern SC430 owners.. I figure after I lower the SC with the TEIN FLEX coilovers that it will give these bushings a good beating.. Luckily I have a really good Lexus dealer and even thou I am doing an aftermarket suspension they have advised me if I do have any issues with clunking and such they will be happy to replace my bushings..

As for second thoughts I have none and would buy this car in a heartbeat again.. Like ronnie mentioned and others if you are coming from a plush riding car (ie LS430, S-Class, ect ect) then you might be hyper sensitive to a stiffer riding SC430 due to the runflats and it primarily is a convertible.. I'm coming from a GS400 to this car so i'd say by a factor of 1.5 it is stiffer in ride but this is what I expect from a sport coupe/convertible..

My only complaint so far is the rattle from the wood on the passenger door when I run tracks with low bass (Damn R&B music.. LOL) and it took a couple times going to the dealer but they resolved it and I haven't heard a peep or squeek since.. Another thing to look out for if you live in a colder climate you will find when the interior is cool in the morning you will get a few weird noises but once it warms up it is quiet as a mouse..

Anyways that is my 2 cents on this subject..

As for aftermarket parts for the SC430 please contact Steve Ganz (Carson Toyota) or SUPRATRD as he is known here on Club Lexus and he will be happy to tell you all the things he can source for the SC430.. His email is gonzo4u@earthlink.net

As for links to aftermarket companies please stay tuned to an aftermarket listing that will be posted up on Club Lexus in the near future but if you need help in the interm just PM myself with your query or genearch and we would be happy to direct you to a good supplier.. Hope that helps!

Ken
Old 05-01-02, 07:38 PM
DropTop430
Driver

"DropTop seems to have achieved legend status on the board for his troubles"

Funny Stuff. I sure wasn't aiming for it. :-)

I will say that my dealer has been very good and we have a good relationship, they make a toal effort to fix everything.

I do think that my problems call for them giving me a new car. Seeing as how its 15 months old and has 14 000km on it I can't see that happening, plus I wouldn't give it to them.

I think the bugs are behind me and its happy motoring from here on in...

I would have no SECOND thought about buying another SC430..

As an aside, the replacment cost for the wood panel that covers the stereo is $1099.00 Canadian Dollars. They put a new one my car a little while back, Yikes..
Someone else mentioned that a part for the trunk/hard top was around $4000 (U.S $$$) Those are some mighty expensive parts...
Old 05-01-02, 08:10 PM
JohnsRX
Lead Lap

Default Re: Second thoughts about buying a SC430

Again this is a forum, and nobody comes here if there werent a problem. My guess is that about 5% of the SC430 owners actually know about this site, so dont worry.
My only problem is that i lower and raise the top 10 times a day when im in the SC!!=) Which if they didnt design a quality top would definitely break in 2 years.

Originally posted by compgal
I first saw the SC430 about two years ago at a LEXUS Test Track Event. My immediate reaction was to buy one as soon as they became available........:
Old 05-03-02, 05:50 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

"Harsh ride" is not the phrase I would use for what I experience in my SC in that the phrase assumes the ride is *always* harsh. It's not. In fact, my SC rides quite smoothly.

What I object to is the jolting reaction when driving over road imperfections. Some concrete expansion joints almost feel like speed bumps. Minor potholes cause extraordinary jolts and clunks which I'm afraid will eventually result in interior squeaks, rattles, etc.

While I don't expect the car to ride like a soft and mushy '49 Chrysler, I also don't expect such jarring jolts when driving over minor road imperfections. When I go for my next service, I will ask for bushing replacements to determine (for myself, anyway) whether it's the run-flats or the bushings causing this behavior.
Old 05-03-02, 08:27 AM
joeyb
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

1nicesc430, knicksfan,droptop,

When they change the bushings, insist that they do a 4 wheel alignment. This was just done on my car, and the change was significant.
Old 05-03-02, 02:32 PM
DropTop430
Driver

Very Interesting......I never thought of that...Did your dealer suggest it or did you ask for it?

What differences have you noticed with this your 3rd (?) set of bushings? If I am not mistaken. Did the alignment provide improvments in ride quality or the way the car tracks on the road?

Thanks again for your informative post.....
Old 05-05-02, 06:36 AM
brads
Driver School Candidate

Unfortunately you're playing a numbers game. There is no way to fix all these little issues in the first few cars because of that very thing (FEW), the car has to be out in mass to have all the problems show overall and then we can hope to see a fix... Lexus just can't find every little tiny bug in a car before it's even released!.. If that was the case there would never be any cool cars out there, it takes people in mass to feedback to lexus and weed out all the bugs...
Old 05-05-02, 09:45 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, Brads ... you are correct.

That's the reason I never upgrade a Microsoft OS until it's been out for at least six months. But, ya know, it was a lot easier waiting for an OS than it was to wait for my SC
Old 05-06-02, 06:46 PM
Toog4me
Lexus Champion

Not every car is perfect, and while the SC430 maybe close to perfection, it is in no way perfect, so there are going to be some problems...
Old 05-19-02, 08:42 PM
MagusFuria
Pole Position

I'd jus like to say hi to the lexus community, my blue with ecru sc430 is currently sitting in the dealership waiting for the check to clear as for what ive heard about the new lexus literally falling apart im shocked, because im the 6th member of my family that owns(will own) a lexus and they have all been remarkably well built cars. im not saying that i dont believe that it happened to droptop430, because its been known that even the top car companies will have a poorly built car at least once. for instance, my cousins bestfriend special ordered a 330ci bmw convertable from germany because he wanted a certain blue or something, and couldnt get a hold of one in the USA. after 6 months of waiting he got it and immediatly the paint began cracking and peeling, and it was discovered that his dealership finnally jus got a silver one and painted over it. now that dealership is getting sued. this is a different situation i admit, but there both nice cars with big problems . anyway, i hope none of you mind me posting when i dont actually have my car yet, but in a few days i will be a proud lexus owner

Last edited by MagusFuria; 05-19-02 at 09:06 PM.
Old 05-29-02, 02:55 AM
vicky!!!
Driver School Candidate

Talking Just a girl's opinion

I couldn't agree with you more, Ceboyd. My SC glides along the road compared to the MB SL I just traded in. I wonder if those complaining about the ride are people buying an SC430 after driving a luxury sedan? I have owned bmw's and Jaguar's and MB's to name a few AND the ride is just perfect for me in my new SC! (Hey that could be lyrics to a song.......I want royalties if anyone uses it).

What else would you consider buying if not an SC? I can't think of any other car that I would want. The new MB SL is very good looking.....but the ride isn't as smooth.

Thanks boys for your time.
Vicky
Old 05-29-02, 09:07 AM
LexPro
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have no regrets with buying my SC430. I have thought about selling it here at our dealership and getting an 2003 when they come out just to have the latest edition. However when I leased my car the residuals and the rates were so much better. The thing about that is for more lease payment I probably will not, due to the increase in money factor and the drop in residuals. The only thing that has bothered me on the car were the door panel armrest material getting smooshed in by driving the car with my leg against the door. I do look forward to getting a real exotic car when my lease is up.
Old 06-02-02, 07:11 PM
Toog4me
Lexus Champion

The only bad thing about the SCs price is that the resale is less than the MB... in two years when you try/want/think of selling your car, the price will be low, as with the MB, it holds its price for a long long time.
Old 06-03-02, 07:49 PM
Toog4me
Lexus Champion

I know that i can buy a 3 year old Mercedes sl500 and pay closer to sticker than on the lex... a 1992 lex sc costs a lot less than a 1990 300SL... and if you try and much up the percent, the SC looses more of its value.

Quick Reply: Second thoughts about buying a SC430