SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Help me decide: 2002 to 2005 SC430 or 2003 to 2004 C5 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-09, 12:46 PM
mischief7
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jason702
the vette is a little redneck in my opinion. it's a step up from an '86 firebird. but in most people's minds, it's in the same family.
So a Lexus SC430 is just a step up from a Toyota Solara? Same family right? Lol, I dont think so, no comparison between the 4
Originally Posted by PHXSC
If you want a little more performance out of your Vette, simply stop by your local NAPA store, and buy a chip for it. Tons more options to choose from, readily available, with the Vette.
Vette's don't have "chips", but you can get a "mail order" tune for about $150 that I hear gives you about 20hp
Old 10-08-09, 01:15 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mischief7
So a Lexus SC430 is just a step up from a Toyota Solara? Same family right? Lol, I dont think so, no comparison between the 4
you do realize there's a horse trailer behind your car?
Old 10-08-09, 01:54 PM
mischief7
Rookie

you do realize there's a horse trailer behind your car?
lol, actually thats my neighbors motorcycle trailer that he hauls his $30k Harley Ultra Glide Ultra Classic in for vacations. Pretty nice too, laminate floor, wired for power, heat/air, 2 snap-on tool boxes
Old 10-08-09, 03:23 PM
Yes

Originally Posted by mischief7
lol, actually thats my neighbors motorcycle trailer that he hauls his $30k Harley Ultra Glide Ultra Classic in for vacations. Pretty nice too, laminate floor, wired for power, heat/air, 2 snap-on tool boxes
either way, it's a little ironic. the vette has a bit of a redneck redneck image. a little like horses and harleys. there's nothing wrong with that. it just is what it is.
Old 10-08-09, 03:24 PM
PHXSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Vette's don't have "chips", but you can get a "mail order" tune for about $150 that I hear gives you about 20hp[/QUOTE]

You missed, and made, my point all in 1 sentence
Old 10-08-09, 04:31 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

the vette is a little redneck in my opinion. it's a step up from an '86 firebird. but in most people's minds, it's in the same family.
+1 jason, not only redneck but put together by the UAW. I would pass on the Vette just for that reason. GM, (OBAMA) motors will never be in my driveway!!
Old 10-08-09, 06:56 PM
scorpio74
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

To each his own. Drive whatever makes you feel good.
The worst thing is to buy something now and regret it the next day.
So take your time and consider it.
Old 10-08-09, 09:32 PM
mdpuff
Driver

Well in my opinion after selling my 03 Vette 6spd convertable this summer I went out and bought another SC430 so now we have two SC's! Now the Vette was fun but I cringed every time I went over a bump and the front scaped, getting in and out being so low took some effort for my 50 + old butt. Having to get out of the car and putting the top down manually was a pain. I would rather drive the SC when my wife would allow me to. And the wow factor, Vett's are common but there aren't very many SC430's around where I live and people are constantly commenting on the SC, never seen a car like this and when you show them the way the top works they are amazed! So for me the SC is the hands down winner, style and luxury that the Corvette cannot match. ( if I want to go fast I just take my Supra Turbo out for a spin) it's faster and more comfy than the Vette. This is just my opinion, you can buy what ever makes you happy!
Old 10-08-09, 10:50 PM
Select
Driver

Originally Posted by mdpuff
Well in my opinion after selling my 03 Vette 6spd convertable this summer I went out and bought another SC430 so now we have two SC's! Now the Vette was fun but I cringed every time I went over a bump and the front scaped, getting in and out being so low took some effort for my 50 + old butt. Having to get out of the car and putting the top down manually was a pain. I would rather drive the SC when my wife would allow me to. And the wow factor, Vett's are common but there aren't very many SC430's around where I live and people are constantly commenting on the SC, never seen a car like this and when you show them the way the top works they are amazed! So for me the SC is the hands down winner, style and luxury that the Corvette cannot match. ( if I want to go fast I just take my Supra Turbo out for a spin) it's faster and more comfy than the Vette. This is just my opinion, you can buy what ever makes you happy!
You have a Turbo Supra?

Please post pics of it
Old 10-09-09, 10:38 AM
TooCoolSC
Lead Lap

It's all in the eye of the beholder. To me, vets are a dime a dozen. No telling how many I pass and I never even notice them. And if I do notice them, it's like "ho-hum".

I also will no longer support GM after what our government has done.
Old 10-09-09, 04:39 PM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was going to go on about your age and how much easier it is to get into & out of an SC, how one "might" be worth more when selling, which car maker is better than the other, but I'm not going to go there. Guess what? Whatever you choose it's not a life long choice. So down the road if you see that maybe the other choice would have been better, then you can go shopping again and maybe choose the other vehicle or maybe another one has caught your eye, and you can throw that one into the mix. It's not life or death, there is no wrong answers. Twenty to thirty years ago I never would have considered an SC (if the had been around), but now I have one, so go figure. It was the right answer to the present question. Next time the question could be different. Whatever makes you happy!!! Go for it!
Old 10-09-09, 06:41 PM
Yes

Originally Posted by tromly
GM, (OBAMA) motors will never be in my driveway!!
some interesting politics went into the collapse of our auto industry. i was just watching a documentary about it the other night. the cliff note version is this. under clinton, we pushed for higher fuel standards and hybrid technology. the irony is, this scared japan. they started developing hybrids because they feared that if they didn't, they wouldn't be able to compete. then bush came along and we stopped pursuing it. we went back to producing gas guzzling SUVs. so the japanese beat us to the punch. now we're the ones that can't compete. oops.
Old 10-09-09, 08:23 PM
mdpuff
Driver

Here's a shot of my toy, rebuilt engine, upgraded turbo & injectors, intercooler and hard pipes, greddy type R blow off valve. Approx 400 hp! It's loads of fun but I'm going to have to sell it as I hardly ever drive it anymore and running out of room to park everything!
Attached Thumbnails Help me decide:  2002 to 2005 SC430 or 2003 to 2004 C5 Corvette-p9120082-2.jpg  
Old 10-09-09, 09:08 PM
Select
Driver

Originally Posted by mdpuff
Here's a shot of my toy, rebuilt engine, upgraded turbo & injectors, intercooler and hard pipes, greddy type R blow off valve. Approx 400 hp! It's loads of fun but I'm going to have to sell it as I hardly ever drive it anymore and running out of room to park everything!
Still original 1JZ? That is nice, good job!
Old 10-09-09, 10:35 PM
mdpuff
Driver

No it's got the 7MGTE engine in it. It's an 87 5spd. Put alot of work into it and hate to let it go.

Quick Reply: Help me decide: 2002 to 2005 SC430 or 2003 to 2004 C5 Corvette