SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Whence SOLO-1?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-02, 08:59 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Whence SOLO-1?

Whatever the heck has happened to SOLO-1 (WJ Solomon)? Ain't heard a peep out of him for weeks ...months maybe?

I sure hope his penchant for driving over 120mph hasn't gotten him in trouble.
Old 04-25-02, 04:03 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

heh heh ... you just ain't gonna let him go on that one, are ya.
Old 04-25-02, 03:12 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ROFL.. Be nice Gene.. Last message I got from WJS he wasn't too happy about something and haven't seen our guy since..

Here is his last post:

03-11-02 09:33
Most FAQ Encountered While Driving My "De-Badged" SC 430

WJS if you see this dude drop a post so we know you are still around and kicking..

Ken
Old 05-01-02, 11:13 PM
WJSOLOMON
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool ONGOING QUEST FOR CHROME TAIL PIPE EXTENTIONS

OK, OK Gene, Time Out Dude - you Win! Apparentely, there are very few cars out there with Real Chrome on the Exhaust Tail Pipe Tips.

While some of the Automotive Mags reported that the new Mercury Maurauder Sedan was coming out with them, they are really the same old Stainless Steel Extensions that our SC's and everyone else seems to be staying with.

Following my High Speed Round Trip to the Sarasota area and back to Indy over the Christmas Holidays, I've been in pursuit of the New 2003 Mercury Marauder 4Dr Sedan. Somewhat like the SC, it'll be all Black, De-Badged, Mud Guards, Twin Cell Phone Antennas, Tinted Windows, and a Sun Roof (as soon as the OEM becomes available).

Of course, a Valantine-One and Phantom Radar Alert / Scrambler in the front 'shield, should give me more of a level playing field, with some of 'Indiana's Finest'.

302 HP. 318 Ft. Lbs. of Torque, it's the return of the Classic 'Muscle Cars' of the Sixties.

"Judgement Day" will come in early July, when Delivery has been promised. Only 15,000 to be produced in the first year Production Run. For an everyday "Business Car" , it should relieve the boredom of driving all of those many new Black Buick Park Avene Ultras.

I really love my SC though, and have driven it with the Top Stowed pretty much all through the Winter, on the nice days, of course.

Don't drive it much in the snow / rain though. Much Too Dangerous!

At High Speed, the Wind, Rain, and Snow tend to try and peel off a layer or two of all of those Many layers of ZAINO Products. Can't have that!

At 5,000 miles, I'm ready to put in another crankcase of Mobil One, and replace the Dedicated Dunlop Winter Sport II's with the OEM Run Flats for the warm weather months. No complaints yet on this Phenominal World-Class, Hard Top Convertible.

A Proud and Excited New Owner of the Ultimate Imported and Domestic Luxury / Performance Driving Machines, and an avid believer in the the 'Passionate Pursuit of Automotive Perfection'.

SOLO - 1

Old 05-02-02, 07:53 AM
LexusSC430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good to see you're alive. I guess the "Midas" touch didnt get the best of you afterall (and no I dont mean the muffler man) I must say though....the only Mercury you will ever see me driving would be 1, 2 or even 3 mercury engines attached to the back of a boat. But chances are Id go with the Yamahas anyway....well maybe the Volvo turbos......Good to see you back though.
Old 05-02-02, 08:16 AM
WJSOLOMON
Pole Position

Thumbs up MERCURY VS YAMAHA ENGINES

LSC - 'Thanks for the memories', and the soft chop about the "Midas Touch". Hey Dudes / Dudettes, my Gold Trim Package still turn's heads! Why, just the other day, as I slipped into First Place in front of the Red Light with the Top stowed, I overheard the Dentist next to me driving an Audi Convertible exclaim to his wife: "Holy S _ _ t, I haven't seen THAT much Gold since I quit filling teeth in my patients with it back in '53!"

And you guys thoughtt that no one would sit up and take notice!

As far as the Merc and Yahaha Engines, I agree with you. Mercury twice captured the Pikes Peak Race with Parnelli Jones at the Wheel with the Powerful Marauder Engines in a Coupe, and won a heck of a Lot of Races with it. It's one of the strongest Engines currently available on the Domestic Market, for total road domination.

But when it comes to 'High Noon' on the High Seas, my 2002 Yamaha LX 2000 Jet Boat, with it's 270 HP, Rules the Water!

Yamaha Engines, in a Salt Water Environment has so Many Years of successful experience, it's like the "SC" of the Seas.

"LEXUS", "MARAUDER". and "YAMAHA" - Born to Lead, Designed to Last!!

Last edited by WJSOLOMON; 05-02-02 at 08:24 AM.
Old 05-02-02, 09:59 AM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Default LOL

Solo - 1

What do you do for a living? Does it have anything to do with writing? You sound like a fun person to be around!

I love reading your stories!!

...keep 'em coming!!!
Old 05-02-02, 11:19 AM
LexusSC430
Lead Lap

Cmon Solo....the 270hp variety Jetboat. Why didnt you get the 310hp model.....I guess that is just my youth talking. I have a 00' Yamaha GPR 155hp with some goodies attached to it...does about 70 maybe 71-72. Now if only I could afford a nice 41' Scaraab with 3 of those engines mounted on the rear....and a gas station, it holds something like 250 gallons of fuel, and you thought your car got crappy mpg.....lol Imagine filling the tanks and maxing out you credit card, hahahah.
Old 05-02-02, 03:37 PM
WJSOLOMON
Pole Position

Cool 270 vs 310 HP YAMAHA JET BOATS

LSC - I had decided to place an Order with my Bradenton, Florida YAMAHA Jet Boat Dealer for the exact Model that you suggested, a 2002 XR 1800 Closed Bow with 310 HP............until the Dealer "Suggested" that they may not produde it after 2001.

The YAMAHA OWNER'S Web Site coughed up the real answer - Production would be halted at the end of the 2001 Model Year for the 310 HP XR 1800, because of potential Class Action Suits over a Design Flaw that caused one or both Engines to unexpedtedly stall out during WOT maneuvers, caused be the old "Vapor Lock" problems in older model cars. Seems like the Catalitic Converters gave off such an excessive amount of Heat in the closed Engine Compartments, that resulted in the vaporization of the Fuel in the Fuelines of one or both Engines, causing the Sport Boat to suddenly stop dead in the Water, with no advance warning. Then you would be unable to restart the Engine(s), until the Fuel liquified again.

YAMAHA refused to acknowledge to their Dealers , or XR 1800 Owners, that the problem of Vapor Lock ever existed, so no work could be expected to be covered under Warranty, for this "Mysterious" problem.

When enough Yamaha Jet Boat Owners, who also practice Law, initiated actions for a Class Action Suit, YAMAHA immediately took this Model out of production, and "quietly" advised their Dealers to Insulate the Fuel Lines from the Catalitic Converters, at the Factory's expense.

Perhaps in "Hind Sight" (No Pun Intended), the Middle & Upper Management at Yamaha are REALLY Bishops and Cardinals, in their other "Day Jobs".

Thus, the most powerful Model left to buy was the 2002 LX 2000, to which I have Up-Graded both Impellers to SOLAS Models, and given the Hull 17 Zillion Coats (+ / -) of ZAINIO Finsh Enhancers, which some think has increased the Top End closer to 100 MPH, compared to the Stock OEM Model. ("Could Happen!")

SOLAS LX-1

:eek:

Last edited by WJSOLOMON; 05-03-02 at 11:40 AM.
Old 05-02-02, 03:44 PM
WJSOLOMON
Pole Position

Default Re: LOL

Originally posted by ceboyd:

"Solo - 1 - What do you do for a living? Does it have anything to do with writing? You sound like a fun person to be around!"

CB - Can't say just now.............in the Protective Witness Program at the moment, and while they throw all of these Big Bucks my way, don't want me to say much.

Hey Dudes / Dudettes, it's Three Squares a Day, Roof over my head (that changes every other day), and all the "Big Boy Toys" that one would ever dream of!

I'd like to complain, but if it's someone elses's Tax Dollars that are paying for this Life Style, whom am I to say anything that could, like, get me into trouble, and jeopradize my position?

Stay Tuned.

SOLO-1

Last edited by WJSOLOMON; 05-02-02 at 03:46 PM.
Old 05-02-02, 07:16 PM
LexusSC430
Lead Lap

Solo,

Very interesting. My model was the first to have the "cat" on it, I had it removed but due to some idiot shop that installed it improperly the craft got damaged. If you only knew how many times the craft would get too hot after having seaweed in the intake grate you would laugh....you would have to wait 30 minutes before you were able to drive it again. I have the cat removed and you can literally touch the pipe with your lips it is so cool. While my friends craft, heat can be felt from the engine through the side of the craft. Damn, green peace people....the cat has really done a number on restricting the performance and safety. I guess that is why 2 stroke engines are being replaced by 4 stroke ones. Yamaha, has a new 4 stroke waverunner out now. If I were you id get a back half exhaust for your boat, probably $500 each, but runs a lot better and without their silly recommended oil. WWW.RIVAYAMAHA.COM has a pretty interesting site....check it out.

100 miles per hour huh??? hmmm......