SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

K&N Air filter

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-09, 05:09 AM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by jason702
maybe someone else can chime in here. but from what i've read, the performance isn't improved. some people say they think it feels faster. but all the dynos i've seen have shown no improvement for filters or intakes. but they do say it sounds better. so it's not a complete loss.
I found an improvement in gas mileage. Performance felt the same
Old 08-15-09, 09:33 PM
Jace_91
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i can attest to that as well, since installing the airfilter ive gone from 20mpgs to 20.5. hey every bit counts
Old 09-02-09, 03:32 AM
2000 ls400
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default take it out

i have talked to 3 toyota and lexus mechanics, including my own lexus mechanic in los angeles, and they have all said the same thing. the k&n leaks oil onto the mass air flow sensor which causes it to fail. they said the best air filter is the oem one from lexus. i am all about upgrading all my cars and making them better than factory, this is just what i have heard. my personal mechanic does not work at lexus and has nothing to gain with his recommendation. hope this helps.
Old 09-02-09, 03:57 AM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000 ls400
i have talked to 3 toyota and lexus mechanics, including my own lexus mechanic in los angeles, and they have all said the same thing. the k&n leaks oil onto the mass air flow sensor which causes it to fail. they said the best air filter is the oem one from lexus. i am all about upgrading all my cars and making them better than factory, this is just what i have heard. my personal mechanic does not work at lexus and has nothing to gain with his recommendation. hope this helps.
Interesting.

I have an 07 IS250, 02 ES300, and just got out of an SC430. I put K&N filters in them over a year ago and have had absolutely no problems and all 3 cars had a jump on gas mileage.

I also passed the info along to a Customer Satisfaction Rep at Lexus Hdqrtrs and he did not relate any negatives to using the filters. I have spoken w/ this rep several times and I think he would have gotten back to me if there was an issue
Old 09-02-09, 05:18 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

I bought a K&N filter for my Subaru and the box and the place I bought it said nothing about oiling the thing. How important is that? I just bought a CPO SC430 so the filter is a new Toyota brand so I don't need a new filter for that yet. I was going to get a K&N for the SC when it needs it, but I don't want to have to be re-oiling filters.
Old 09-02-09, 09:41 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

While it is true that KNN filters can/will seep oil on the MAS, it WILL NOT DESTROY IT! All one needs to do is to simply clean the sensor out with some MAF sensor cleaner sold at your local auto parts store which is very similar to carb cleaner if not the same just repackaged.

The largest advantage of having a KNN is the replacement cost is zero as they are built well. The disadvantage would be the cleaning/oiling the filter and cleaning the MAS every once in a while. I cleaned out my MAS every 6 months or so. Takes about 10 seconds to clean it, but 10 minutes for the R&R. One issue I ran into a while back was a buddies GS400 was stuck waaaaay out in the middle of LA. After a fuel pump replacement, filter, etc and a $200 tow bill the problem was simply a small piece of debris the size of a Blackberry key stuck on the wire inside his MAS. The oil probably allowed this to occur. Because the debris was there the car did not sense any intake air and would not start. Cleaned it out in seconds and vroom, started right up.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 09-02-09 at 10:10 PM.