SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-09, 04:55 AM
surteco
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Tires

Replaced the runflats with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus, non runflats. Total Price $1052. My first impression was not good until I checked the air pressure and found they had been installed with 46 PSI. Lowered to 36 PSI and now I understand the advantage in getting rid of the runflats.

After thinking about my lifetime driving , I realized that I have driven close to 2 million miles in 45 years and have only had two flats that required changing on the road. One occoured in my first car with junk tires, the other resulted after hitting a large piece of steel in the road.

I will continue to carry my golf clubs in the trunk along with a Slime Smart Spare, plug kit and AAA card. I think I will get more use and enjoyment out of the golf clubs than adding a spare kit.

The tire has slightly more road noise which I suspect is due to the agressive tread pattern and a harder rubber compound.

I would guess that the summer Pilot Sport would be quieter but would not behave as good driving in rain and would not have the tread life.

Handeling is improved, much tighter in corners.

Overall I am pleased and would make the same decision again. Time will tell for the long term impressions.
Old 06-22-09, 07:42 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by surteco
I will continue to carry ... a Slime Smart Spare, plug kit and AAA card.
I've got non-run-flats. And that's what I did.
Old 06-22-09, 07:58 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

I've been driving the car for 6 years with the Michelin Pilot Sports without a spare tire without incident, but I never drive the car to remote areas out of town ...
Old 06-22-09, 04:04 PM
Scott R
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two things:

1) For those of you using the Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position, what tire pressure do you recommend?

2) For anyone looking to get one of those SmartSpair slime/compressor kits, Aldi's recently got them in for $18. I believe the special sale started about two weeks ago, but I stopped by an Aldi's today and they had several in stock. I picked up two (one for my wife's car). I've heard that using the slime is bad for the tire, so I'll have to mull that over, but I figure it's worth it just for the air compressor.
Old 06-22-09, 07:26 PM
golfxx
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the 960 AS, have had them for 5K miles and run 33 lbs. The ride is good, the handling is good and the noise is low. From what the tire manufactures (Bridgestone) told me the PSI should match the car manufacturers recommendations. The recommended PSI for the SC is on the door jamb and is listed at 33.
Old 06-23-09, 05:35 AM
surteco
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Slime, and Air Presure

Slime is water based and can be washed out when the tire is removed from the wheel. Also it does not damage the TPMS like other products. However even if it does, using it would be better than having to replace a run flat. I do not plan to put it in the tires unless I have a flat. I think some people put it in to prevent a flat.

The Mfg. says 33 PSI. the tire company only gives a maximum PSI on their tires. I have always put more than the mfg. suggested. Tires always wear out on the edge, not in the center. As well higher psi will give tighter handeling and better MPG
Old 06-29-09, 07:52 AM
igorxx
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Instead of tire kit

I got a tire plug kit and a portable air pump for my trunk. It works good. I have had a couple of times where my pressure indicators came on and I just put in a couple of pounds and went on. Have had 2 or three flats but the pressure indicators let me know it was going flat and had plent of time to get to a shop.