Best way to sell my wife's SC430??

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-09, 11:30 PM
billminji
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 604_Coast
What color interior?
Black, except for the wood trim, of course!
Old 07-21-09, 10:56 PM
billminji
Driver School Candidate

I finally got around to posting it here and on Craigslist. There were a couple of votes for Auto Trader, but the thinking is that it is dealer dominated. I am considering cars.com from past experiences, as well as the recommendation of a friend who is the used car sales manager at the local Chevy dealership. Any more thoughts on ebay?

Thanks for the input. If any of you guys want it, take $1.5K off the asking price of $21,900.
Old 07-23-09, 11:28 AM
coach1
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

E-bay is a good gauge for price comparisons as well as a good selling market. I found my SC at a local dealer and had a face to face negotiation....armed with real value data. I'll add, mileage on these cars brings as much value as year. example: 2003 w/less miles than a 2004 will bring more money.
Old 07-30-09, 11:16 PM
billminji
Driver School Candidate

Default Car is sold!

Just an update for all of you who responded to my post. I put it on Craigslist on 7-21, asking $21,900 as well as here on Club Lexus soon thereafter. I received a few calls and a $17K offer which I declined. No one actually looked at the car. I listed it on cars.com on 7-25 early am, with a request to call between noon and 10pm. No calls on the 25th, but on the 26th(sunday) got a call at 11:45am from a guy who really wanted to see it. He lived 2 hours away, and he arrived at 2pm. Before he arrived I received a couple of calls from as far away as Colorado. The guy looked at it, he had done his homework and read the Carfax which was in the ad, and asked to drive it around the block. We did so, and he said that was enough. I insisted he drive it on the 55mph road nearby, so he did.
He said he wanted it. He had all the figures from the blue books. He offered $20k, which he said was the most he could go. He said he had been looking for a year, and this was exactly as I described, with perfect maintenance. After consulting with my wife(well, it is HER car...), we accepted his offer. He immediately wrote a check for a substantial deposit, which cleared the next day(we both use the same bank). The deal closed today when he brought the balance in cash.

I think both of us got a fair deal. I sold the car for cash, soon after it was listed, and he got a very clean car.

Thanks to you all for your suggestions.

Bill
Old 07-31-09, 03:47 AM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Good luck in Hawaii!
Old 07-31-09, 03:57 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by billminji
Just an update for all of you who responded to my post. I put it on Craigslist on 7-21, asking $21,900 as well as here on Club Lexus soon thereafter. I received a few calls and a $17K offer which I declined. No one actually looked at the car. I listed it on cars.com on 7-25 early am, with a request to call between noon and 10pm. No calls on the 25th, but on the 26th(sunday) got a call at 11:45am from a guy who really wanted to see it. He lived 2 hours away, and he arrived at 2pm. Before he arrived I received a couple of calls from as far away as Colorado. The guy looked at it, he had done his homework and read the Carfax which was in the ad, and asked to drive it around the block. We did so, and he said that was enough. I insisted he drive it on the 55mph road nearby, so he did.
He said he wanted it. He had all the figures from the blue books. He offered $20k, which he said was the most he could go. He said he had been looking for a year, and this was exactly as I described, with perfect maintenance. After consulting with my wife(well, it is HER car...), we accepted his offer. He immediately wrote a check for a substantial deposit, which cleared the next day(we both use the same bank). The deal closed today when he brought the balance in cash.

I think both of us got a fair deal. I sold the car for cash, soon after it was listed, and he got a very clean car.

Bill
Both buyer and seller got a good deal, a great transaction all around! Enjoy Hawaii, I know you'll miss the car but it gave you great enjoyment and service.
Old 08-02-09, 06:38 AM
Jackalope
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

She is 37, cute, but no can do on the pic!
Hey, you wanted the BEST way. Sex sells!

Maybe it would give you an excuse to go hang out with a couple of Hooters Girls? Guaranteed, put your car in place of the blue one and put it on e-bay. Guys will look at your ad!

Last edited by Jackalope; 08-02-09 at 04:54 PM.
Old 08-02-09, 04:59 PM
Jackalope
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tromly
You should be a joke writer for Jay Leno !
How do you know I'm not?

Old 08-02-09, 06:48 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackalope
How do you know I'm not?

because it's hard to work for someone who's retired
Old 08-02-09, 07:36 PM
Jackalope
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jason702
because it's hard to work for someone who's retired
He's not retired. He's going prime time.
Old 08-03-09, 12:06 AM
bizdev_guy
Driver School Candidate

Bill
Bill, congrats on the sale. I'm also in the process of trying to sell my SC (2003 with 20k miles) and have seen renewed interest in my vehicle in the last couple of weeks. It appears that there are very few available SC430s out there now as compared to earlier this summer. As a result, the value of the car has jumped up by a couple of grand as well. Hopefully, I find a buyer soon.
Old 08-05-09, 11:22 AM
m3nv
Pole Position

Id try craigslist first, after all it is free. Ive actually bought and sold of a few of my cars off craigslist, and ive had a better response then on autotrader. Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-06-09, 12:49 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

In order of my successes,
Craigslist,
Ebay,
Autotrader. Just no action.
Old 08-07-09, 06:43 PM
Jackalope
Pole Position

Think we can get a picture of HIS wife in a bikini in her new car?