SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Any complications with switching wheels/tires from one SC to another?

Old 06-11-09, 11:29 PM
TooCoolSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any complications with switching wheels/tires from one SC to another?

I have a chance to get the SC430 of my dreams but I'm having trouble rationalizing that it's the right thing to do. I recently bought an '02 SC430 and it's beautiful (black with ecru). But I recently found an SC430 model that has always been my favorite and it's a fantastic price.

I recently bought some brand new wheels for my car and I don't want to be out the money I spent on them when I trade the car in. When I communicated this to the guy at the dealership, he said, "No problem, we can just put your wheels/tires on the newer car and put the other wheels on the car you're trading in." I was surprised he was so accommodating.

If I did that, how much of a problem would it present? Would it mess up the TPM system or anything else? I know there's some kind of a process of properly registering the tires or sensors and I don't know what all to the car, but would this be an easy thing to do if I switched out them out? Would any big costs be involved?
Old 06-12-09, 05:02 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TooCoolSC
I have a chance to get the SC430 of my dreams but I'm having trouble rationalizing that it's the right thing to do. I recently bought an '02 SC430 and it's beautiful (black with ecru). But I recently found an SC430 model that has always been my favorite and it's a fantastic price.

I recently bought some brand new wheels for my car and I don't want to be out the money I spent on them when I trade the car in. When I communicated this to the guy at the dealership, he said, "No problem, we can just put your wheels/tires on the newer car and put the other wheels on the car you're trading in." I was surprised he was so accommodating.

If I did that, how much of a problem would it present? Would it mess up the TPM system or anything else? I know there's some kind of a process of properly registering the tires or sensors and I don't know what all to the car, but would this be an easy thing to do if I switched out them out? Would any big costs be involved?
Are you switching out run flats for run flats? If so no problem if a Lexus dealership is doing the work, it's going to cost you though, did the guy say how much? If it's not a Lexus dealer than you might run into problems with the TPM system, BE ALERT!! Good Luck
Old 06-12-09, 08:34 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 408 Likes on 358 Posts

Yes, the TPM receiver in the car will have to be retrained. Right now there are only a handful of independent (non-dealer mechanics) that have the capability of retraining the receiver to accept new TPMs. The dealer can do it but they tend to charge handsomely. I'd check both Toyota and Lexus dealers. I've heard that Costco may be able to do it also, but I haven't confirmed that yet.
Old 06-12-09, 10:08 AM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

if you're buying a car from lexus, i'm sure they will do it for free as a condition of the sale. if it's from a non-lexus dealer, they would almost certainly cover the cost of resetting the TPS sensors if you negotiate it. when i bought my car, after all of the negotiating was done and i got the price i wanted i said, "oh one last thing. i want tinted windows. throw that in and you have a deal." they weren't too happy about it, but they paid for it to close the deal.
Old 06-12-09, 10:17 AM
TooCoolSC
Lead Lap

Yeah, the thing that makes it complicated is that it's NOT a Lexus dealer and they have probably not thought about resetting TPM sensors, etc. No run flats are involved; both cars have regular tires. In fact, the car I'm wanting to buy has brand new tires on it. I kind of wish I could take advantage of that.

I assume if I bought the car with the understanding of switching the wheels/tires out, they would likely have it done at a Lexus dealership a few miles away. So I guess they would do everything the way it should be done with regard to registering everything. I don't know who would pay for that, however.
Old 06-12-09, 11:06 AM
PHXSC
Lead Lap

If the tire sizes are the same for both sets of wheels, why not put the new tires on the wheels you like, and while the tires are off, swap out the TPMS sensors? You should probaly get the seal kits, too, about $6 ea., and change them while you're at it. That would avoid having to relearn the sensors.
Then any tire dealer could do the swap, although you'd have to have both cars on lifts at the same time.
Old 06-12-09, 02:08 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TooCoolSC
Yeah, the thing that makes it complicated is that it's NOT a Lexus dealer and they have probably not thought about resetting TPM sensors, etc. No run flats are involved; both cars have regular tires. In fact, the car I'm wanting to buy has brand new tires on it. I kind of wish I could take advantage of that.

I assume if I bought the car with the understanding of switching the wheels/tires out, they would likely have it done at a Lexus dealership a few miles away. So I guess they would do everything the way it should be done with regard to registering everything. I don't know who would pay for that, however.
it's pretty easy. if you decide to buy it, do all of the negotiating. get the price you want. then tell them you want the new tires put on your wheels. and you want them to pay to have your sensors reset. even with your best price, they'll have a couple thousand dollars in profit. so they'll cover whatever lexus charges. in this economy, they can't afford to say no.