SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Dealers Tire Recomendations

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-09, 11:17 AM
surteco
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Dealers Tire Recomendations

No one in this town will touch Run Flats (Greensboro NC). Contacted the dealer about the Michelin Pilot Sports Plus (switching to non runflats). He said they only have installed the Michelin Primacy. This tire is about $75 per tire higher than the Plus. Anyone have experience with the Primacy? Is it worth the extra? I am looking for good ride and handeling, however the SC is not a car that I am throwing around the curves in the mountains that much. More interested in improved ride and longer life. Thanks for help.
Old 05-26-09, 11:30 AM
robsvdp
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my BF Goodrich g-force super sport a/s tires. Less than half the price of the Michelins. Make sure you get the exact tire I mention above -- some have had issues with "sport" version (vs "Super Sport").
Old 05-26-09, 11:33 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i had the michelin hp primacy on my oem wheels for about 1,500 KM before i switched over to my new wheel package. from what i remember, the hp primacy was a fairly quiet tire, not bad at all for stock tires. not sure about life expectancy, you'll need to look it up and see how many miles you'll get out of it
Old 05-26-09, 12:12 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

The Yokohama YK520's have good ratings and a 60kmi warranty. They are quite reasonably priced at Discount Tire also. I saw one thread where someone had installed them but am not sure about how long he's had them or how well the tires perform in the different performance categories. (I'm still running the RF's so far.)
Old 05-26-09, 01:07 PM
PHXSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by robsvdp
I love my BF Goodrich g-force super sport a/s tires. Less than half the price of the Michelins. Make sure you get the exact tire I mention above -- some have had issues with "sport" version (vs "Super Sport").
I can 2nd this - this is what is on my car. The BFG's are actually made in Michelin factories.
Old 05-26-09, 05:29 PM
surteco
Driver

Thanks for the responses, found a reputable tire store that will do them. Still havent decided on the tire yet. Leaning toward Michelin pilot a/s plus. Think it is somewhat new. Only concern is noise.
Old 05-27-09, 05:07 AM
carbuff
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

I replaced the factory run flat tires with a set of four MICHELIN Pilot® Sport A/S 245/40ZR18 93Y Black Sidewall Model # (MSPN): 75552 tires.

The cost, $1,085.00.

Now, one year later I consider these to be the best tires I have ever had on any car I have owned. They have provided a comfortable and controlled ride over ever kind of terrain and in every weather condition I have driven.

They are worth the money I paid for them.
Old 05-27-09, 12:52 PM
surteco
Driver

Thanks Carbuff, are the tires the "Plus" version? I think the Plus just came out. Headed out your way on Friday. Needed a little heat with my golf.
Old 05-27-09, 01:00 PM
carbuff
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
Smile

I do not know anything about a "plus" version.

You are coming to the land of the sun at the right time. We just finished having fifteen straight days of 100F+ temperatures. This week, the temp has plummet down to the high 90's. Even the nights have gotten cold (85F).

Hot weather (110F+) is not expected for sometime in the future.

Ha, ha, ha!
Old 05-27-09, 01:43 PM
PHXSC
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by surteco
Thanks Carbuff, are the tires the "Plus" version? I think the Plus just came out. Headed out your way on Friday. Needed a little heat with my golf.
If you want a great test of golf, there's a little known track down in Maricopa called Southern Dunes.
As it's name implies, it's a links lay out, somewhat unusual for this neighborhood.
Originally designed by Fred Couples, it was private, and went public earlier this year. Definately one of the nicest tracks around here. Add about 10 strokes to what you normally shoot
Old 05-27-09, 07:56 PM
surteco
Driver

Thanks for the info on Southern Dunes. I thought it was private, I will check it out. I have played so many out there (Troon North, WeKoPa, Talking Stick, Boulders, Gold Canyon, Grey Hawk, Legacy, Eagle Mountain, Sun Canyon, Kierland, Phonecian, Camelback, Orange Tree, Phoenix CC, and others I can't remember. I love them all. So different from the golf we have here in NC. Hey, come to think about it, there is no such thing as a bad track. I get out there on business about 2 times each year, have some good friends who play so it is allways an adventure. If you ever get to central North Carolina, PM me and I will give you some info for this area. Regards
Old 05-28-09, 09:13 AM
PHXSC
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by surteco
Thanks for the info on Southern Dunes. I thought it was private, I will check it out. I have played so many out there (Troon North, WeKoPa, Talking Stick, Boulders, Gold Canyon, Grey Hawk, Legacy, Eagle Mountain, Sun Canyon, Kierland, Phonecian, Camelback, Orange Tree, Phoenix CC, and others I can't remember. I love them all. So different from the golf we have here in NC. Hey, come to think about it, there is no such thing as a bad track. I get out there on business about 2 times each year, have some good friends who play so it is allways an adventure. If you ever get to central North Carolina, PM me and I will give you some info for this area. Regards
Wow - you've been most of the best we have to offer. There's another track a little further south of Maricopa called "The Duke". It's near where John Wayne had a ranch, and hence the name. I'm pretty sure it's owned by the Troon group, and is always in excellent condition.
I'm actually from the Carolina's - EZU grad, '78, and lived about a decade in New Bern, before moving on. I know where yonder is, and how many folks are in y'all
Old 05-28-09, 09:44 AM
surteco
Driver

Depends on how many y'all bring with you when mom-an-em ask you over.

I forgot about that garden spot you have called Continental. Does make for a nice quick round after work.

Regards,
Surt