SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

The Spare Tire Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-02, 09:36 PM
gandro
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The Spare Tire Question

I recently test drove an SC430. Its a great car. But I did notice some excessive bump and pothole impact due to the runflat tires.
Many of you said, the ride quality significantly improves with standard type performance tires. However, my local dealer told me its near impossible to find an SC430 in California that comes without the runflats. Without runflats, common thought is to mount the spare tire in whats left of the cargo room in the trunk. My Dilemna, I want to mount standard (non run-flat) performance tires, but I also want to keep my trunk space. So I ask, what's the big deal if I drive around without a spare tire? In the 5 years I owned my Honda Accord, I never onced used it. All of the flats I had (around 8), I simply used a can of fix-a-flat and in a few days brought the tire in for repair or replacement. It seems as if there really isn't much of an advantage to run flat tires. If I am on a major road trip, I only have 100 miles on a flat "run flat" before I need to have it replaced. Either way, I have to call Lexus road-side assistance to get a new tire brought to me. With standard tires, I can usually get a way with a can of fix-a-flat, where runflats MUST be replaced. So to SC430 owners, have any of you "dared" to use standard performance tires and chosen NOT to carry a spare?
Old 03-24-02, 07:18 AM
TMitchell
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doesn't the M5 come with no spare? Just a some thing like a can of fix a flat. It doesn't have run flats.
Old 03-24-02, 08:26 AM
jcmartz
Driver School Candidate

At least one other car I've owned and driven (Diablo) didn't have a spare but included a can of fix-o-flat. In the case of the Lambo, it came in a nice, leather case that was part of the tool kit. The Diablo didn't have run flats (P-Zeros were the OEM tire) but did include a tire-pressure warning system like the SC430. I think it's a safe bet to not carry a spare under these conditions, especially if you also carry a cell phone and don't plan on off-roading your SC430

Joe M.
Attached Thumbnails The Spare Tire Question-side-shot-closed-small-.jpg  
Old 03-24-02, 08:35 AM
LexusSC430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You summed it all up in "performance tires" if you are looking for a smooth ride buy an LS430. No matter what tires you have on there if they are low profile performace tires you are going to feel bumps. The suspension has something to do with it, the SC's supspension is pretty tight (people who disagree with this go drive a camry or some other car) there is some body roll and if you are doing a slalom you realize this. Anyways, back to the tire thing. I have aftermarket tires and I actually have four spare tires Lexus provided me with and the sit nicely stacked in my garage. I am sure it will catch up with me eventually, but thats what cell phones are for. Now if you drive more than 12000 miles a year or take long road trips or even work in say NYC I think you may want to rethink it a little.

Finally, yes certain cars offer the fix-a-flat instead of a spare, I mean its not like the run flats can have 300 holes in them and you can still drive with them for the rest of the life of the tread. Also people ignore the fact that fix-a-flat doesnt put air in the tire, you would also need to bring a long a pump. The corvette is moving away from them because the performance sucks.
Old 03-24-02, 11:04 AM
RodF
Pole Position

Default Going without a spare

That is precisely what I plan to do after my runflats wear out. Replace them with non run-flat tires, and carry around a can. I don't remember ever changing a flat myself, always just called roadside service.

I bought a airpump that works off the cigarette lighter for $19.99, and will be picking up a can of fix-a-flat.

Works for me.
Old 03-25-02, 07:27 AM
joeyb
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I also plan on moving to away from the run-flats.

One thing to consider about Fix-a-flat is that it will ruin the pressure sensor. Like the Corvette, the pressure sensor is part of the valve stem. They cost $110 each. (Also, my understanding on changing tires is that you remove the stem nut, and let the stem and sensor fall into the tire. Then remove the tire. This will keep the sensor from being damaged.)

As an alternative, I plan on carying a plug kit.

Joey B.
Old 03-25-02, 10:15 AM
RodF
Pole Position

Default No sensors

Actually, in my case I've already removed the sensors when I changed the rims. That is part of the reason I am moving away from run-flats. I wouldn't know when I had a flat.
Old 03-27-02, 10:01 AM
DevilDog
Lead Lap

FYI:

Lexus did come out with a TSIB to add a spare tire and all hardware to the SC430. The TSIB give detailed parts and installation instructions. Parts and labor are around $900.

DD
Old 03-27-02, 12:17 PM
LexusSC430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Guys, guys, guys....just buy a Geo Metro and keep it in the trunk. If something happens you take it out and drive to get help, although youd probably get there faster on four punctured run flats. but think how cool it would be to have an escape car in your trunk.