SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Ecru leather touch up

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-14, 08:18 AM
DiggerJim
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kjcole
I'll report back but it sure looks well bonded to the substrate (which is how our leather is colored - it ain't dyed).
So who is right? 1Willy says it's dyed and others say it's painted. What's the real scoop? Or is this like "which is the best oil to use?" kind of question?
Old 12-27-14, 08:46 AM
kjcole
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

1) My seats and center console are holding up perfectly. Absolutely no flaking....none....and this is a daily driver. The color match is perfect

2) This indeed is painted leather (at least on my 2002 it is), not dyed, as I learned by looking at a cross-section of the leather when I restitched a seam. I'll note again that I prepped the seats meticulously using the SEM cleaner (smelled strongly of alcohol - and I used a brush to scrub, especially at the seams) and the prep (surface softener).

3) Then I just used good spray technique (a wet coat without overloading, long overlapping strokes). I painted the seams first, then filled in the panels. Take the seats out, or carefully, completely mask. Don't underestimate the overspray - those aerosol droplets travel! Also, have 1 more spray can than you think you'll need because as someone else mentioned the spray starts to drip when the can still has about 1/4 to 1/8 left in it.

4) Friends have noticed - can't believe when I tell them I painted the seats - looks OEM. I'm a perfectionist and would not recommend this for our Lexus' unless I was completely confident in the recommendation
Old 12-27-14, 05:17 PM
DiggerJim
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kjcole
Also, have 1 more spray can than you think you'll need because as someone else mentioned the spray starts to drip when the can still has about 1/4 to 1/8 left in it.
'So how much can you cover with 1 can? 1 seat, 2 seats, seat & door panel? I'm going to re-do the interior of mine in the spring when the weather warms up again.
Old 12-27-14, 09:16 PM
kuWuPt
Advanced

Received 91 Likes on 44 Posts

So I did this today and well it turned out great. This is the process I used though:
1 - Clean seats with Lexol diluted in warm water with a grey scotch pad (just to see if cleaning can take anything off)
2 - I sanded the seats with 320 grit sand paper, this seemed to not just smooth the leather out but also take off a layer of 'paint'? I say paint because sanding dust was the color of the seats.
3 - vacuumed dust off
4 - wipe down with 90% alcohol and grey scotch pad. This really made me think it is paint because it had the same effect of paint, it started removing or thinning the paint and the grey pad was turning white.
5 - wipe down with clean cloth
6 - quick wipe down with a clean microfiber and alcohol.
7 - Mask
8 - Spray the SEM 15003

Before:

After:

I obviously can't make a statement on longevity of it but if anything happens I'll update.
Old 12-30-14, 09:39 AM
kjcole
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

From Leather World Technologies, website:

Nearly all auto leather is a pigmented/top coat dye (emphasis added). The products listed on this page make this assumption. If you believe you have a different situation, consult Identifying Leather in our leather manual and contact us.
Old 12-30-14, 02:14 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

kuWuPt, nice job! An amazing transformation!
Old 07-13-17, 07:04 PM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

Thanks for this thread, I have a LS430 with some really faded armrests where the paint has lifted up. I've had the issue since I bought the car and never really knew how to address it. Just ordered a can of this off amazon for my ecru interior, can't wait to try it.
Old 07-14-17, 11:35 PM
Wolfhouse
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kuWuPt
So I did this today and well it turned out great. This is the process I used though:
1 - Clean seats with Lexol diluted in warm water with a grey scotch pad (just to see if cleaning can take anything off)
2 - I sanded the seats with 320 grit sand paper, this seemed to not just smooth the leather out but also take off a layer of 'paint'? I say paint because sanding dust was the color of the seats.
3 - vacuumed dust off
4 - wipe down with 90% alcohol and grey scotch pad. This really made me think it is paint because it had the same effect of paint, it started removing or thinning the paint and the grey pad was turning white.
5 - wipe down with clean cloth
6 - quick wipe down with a clean microfiber and alcohol.
7 - Mask
8 - Spray the SEM 15003

Before:

After:

I obviously can't make a statement on longevity of it but if anything happens I'll update.
Before I go spending the WHOPPING $15 on this, can anyone confirm the longevity of doing this? Does it wear/wipe away quickly or over time? Currently using leather touch-up, but it's not an exact match and this looks like it even fills in all the age cracks, which makes it look AMAZING.

Thank for any info on this!
Old 06-13-20, 07:50 PM
RedondoDon
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello....will this process work on the drivers door arm rest?

Don

U can respond via email: ondajob@mac.ccom
Old 06-14-20, 09:13 AM
CCC-TT
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Just got done fixing some terrible Ecru seats in my SC430.

Take a look.

Old 06-14-20, 09:18 AM
jwrichter
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Tried that paint trick on other cars, doesn't last. Buy a case of the paint.
Old 06-14-20, 09:53 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Looks much better Rob. Nice job.
The following users liked this post:
CCC-TT (06-14-20)
Old 06-14-20, 10:12 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jwrichter
Tried that paint trick on other cars, doesn't last. Buy a case of the paint.
This from Seat Doctor's website:

Leather dye should last at least two years with regular use after application before requiring further touch up. It often lasts much longer. Wear patterns and care determine how long the dye will last.
Old 06-14-20, 07:48 PM
CCC-TT
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Harold57
Looks much better Rob. Nice job.
Thanks Harold,

I’m not promoting any company but I’d bet at least a couple hundred $ that it’ll last a couple years. What can you ask for when your seats start out bad
Old 06-17-20, 06:45 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by CCC-TT
Just got done fixing some terrible Ecru seats in my SC430.

Take a look.

https://youtu.be/U7BFntfaTtI
well done Rob!
did the seat doctor product clean and dye the leather?
i need to do this to my wife’s 2007 SC430 with ECRU leather.

BTW, I am east of you, near Cocoa Beach

Quick Reply: Ecru leather touch up