SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Ecru leather touch up

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-11, 09:56 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
Hmmm.... wonder if the have a primer or if a great cleaning is necessary to make sure there is good adhesion.
Now that this thread is back from the archives...

The key is the prep based on going through the thread. Clean the base leather with alcohol 2x.

I am very interested to get a few cans of this Ecru leather paint.

Little gems you discover trolling.
Old 01-04-11, 04:14 PM
TEXAS83
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still have that flaking issue, but I guess I never really cleaned it that well before painting. So what do I do now? Buy rubbing alcohol or something else? I get flaking on the armrest and handrest 2 weeks after painting. I'm getting to the point where I'm thinking about getting the leather reupholstered or just buying a new armrest. Please shed some guidance, thank you!
Old 01-04-11, 11:53 PM
TooCoolSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TEXAS83
I'm getting to the point where I'm thinking about getting the leather reupholstered or just buying a new armrest. Please shed some guidance, thank you!
I wouldn't do that. I don't think the flaking issue is that common....at least, I had never heard of it happening before. I used the paint several times (once without prepping at all) and I never had an issue like that.

I think before you get to the point of replacing leather or doing something equally expensive, you need to talk to Sewell about getting the leather "reconditioned," or whatever they call it. They do it frequently to the 1,000's of used cars that pass through there, and they should be able to take care of the problem or refer you to someone who can. You'll be surprised what the guys who do it for a living can do. They can truly make it look like a brand new interior.

The only thing about the procedure is that you have to be very careful about how you clean the leather, and what you use to clean it with. Paint is not real leather, so you can't treat/clean it like real leather. Some products will take the paint right off like it's paint thinner. I know.....I had it happen to me at a Lexus dealership after an interior detailing. Apparently, they didn't know my interior had been reconditioned and they used the usual leather cleaning products on my car. Didn't turn out too well.......
Old 01-05-11, 08:09 PM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by TEXAS83
I still have that flaking issue, but I guess I never really cleaned it that well before painting. So what do I do now? Buy rubbing alcohol or something else? I get flaking on the armrest and handrest 2 weeks after painting. I'm getting to the point where I'm thinking about getting the leather reupholstered or just buying a new armrest. Please shed some guidance, thank you!
Take it to Sewell. Ask for or e-mail Sara Cockburn she's great! Tell her Derek Sent you. scockburn@SEWELL.com 214-353-2100

They do a fabulous job on Ecru reconditioning. You will not need to replace anything. Let her have them work their magic. It's worth every penny. You'll become addicted and want to get your seats, and middle console, etc touched up regularly. My 02's interior looked brand new when I sold it in 2009 after annual touch ups for the past three years. It's reasonable and worth it IMO.
Old 01-06-11, 09:33 AM
PLAYTYM
Lead Lap

I have a '02 with Saddle leather and it's in perfect condition and has never been reconditioned. My plan would be to continue to treat the leather with Lexol to keep it supple and clean. I do live in Vermont where our summers are very short and the car is stored half the year.

It is possible to keep your original leather like new…right?
Old 01-06-11, 10:15 AM
antigeek
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

"Braggart!", says the very jealous man in Texas whose saddle interior has seen better days. I'm certain I could have done a LOT more to take care of the driver's seat, but it's seen a lot, being my only car and lots of top-down days. I've considered posting some pics, but I fear excommunication -- and possible repossession by fellow Dallas CL members!

That's excellent news. I say keep it up! Diligence and top-notch care will definitely get the maximum life out of your seats. I also recommend consistent use of a towel or absorbent seat cover in the summer months, especially if you work out (or it gets as hot as it does here in TX).
Old 01-06-11, 12:19 PM
PLAYTYM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by antigeek
"Braggart!", says the very jealous man in Texas whose saddle interior has seen better days. I'm certain I could have done a LOT more to take care of the driver's seat, but it's seen a lot, being my only car and lots of top-down days. I've considered posting some pics, but I fear excommunication -- and possible repossession by fellow Dallas CL members!

That's excellent news. I say keep it up! Diligence and top-notch care will definitely get the maximum life out of your seats. I also recommend consistent use of a towel or absorbent seat cover in the summer months, especially if you work out (or it gets as hot as it does here in TX).
I should probably also add that I'm only 150lbs. The hottest of hot days in Vermont "might" reach over 100, but so rare I can't remember the last time that even happened...lol!
In all honesty...we have maybe two solid weeks of sun and hot weather...the rest is top up due to rain, or top down and heat cranked due to low temps. I definitely use the heated seats…a lot!
Old 01-06-11, 02:07 PM
mandyfig

Originally Posted by scdroptop
Take it to Sewell. Ask for or e-mail Sara Cockburn she's great! Tell her Derek Sent you. scockburn@SEWELL.com 214-353-2100

They do a fabulous job on Ecru reconditioning. You will not need to replace anything. Let her have them work their magic. It's worth every penny. You'll become addicted and want to get your seats, and middle console, etc touched up regularly. My 02's interior looked brand new when I sold it in 2009 after annual touch ups for the past three years. It's reasonable and worth it IMO.
BTW, how much is a recon of the leather, just for giggles?
Old 01-06-11, 02:50 PM
TooCoolSC
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PLAYTYM
It is possible to keep your original leather like new…right?
You can keep the leather itself it in good condition but nothing is going to stop it from getting worn and scratched up from getting in and out of your car thousands of times. (I think belts do the greatest damage.)

The lower left panel of the driver's seat is usually the place that starts to show wear. The only way to stop it is to not get in and out of your car. You'll want to remedy any weak spots when you notice them or they can eventually progress to a hole or tear in the leather. Reconditioning can pretty much solve the problem from getting too bad, and the professionals have other little miracles they can do to strengthen the weakest spots.
Old 01-06-11, 05:05 PM
mandyfig

Can not believe the stuff they to refurbish the looks of a car. Hey, more power to them.
Old 01-06-11, 07:00 PM
Jace_91
Pole Position

still no update on someones experience with repainting saddle?
Old 01-06-11, 10:48 PM
TooCoolSC
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jace_91
still no update on someones experience with repainting saddle?
I don't recall seeing that anyone has tried it with the saddle. I don't think anyone ever really verified that there was an exact match.
Old 01-07-11, 08:14 AM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I am not sure if I posted on this, but in casee anyone else had this problem. The leather in my seat actually split! It was in the passenger seat, in one of the natural folds of the leather, and it split like a razor cut about 5 inches. I went to walmart and bought a leather repair kit. They give you a backing which you push through the cut, under the damage, and then you mix a resin with color and spread it across the rip. You then take a piece of cardboard, that has a print with the texture of leather, and Iron it flat. I could not get even close to the color of my seat, but afterwards I sprayed the Ecru paint color and the rip is 95% gone. I did it about six months ago and it is holding up very well. I also have no issue with flaking. A couple weeks ago my son go sick inside LB, and after a painful cleaining I used Mcguires leather treatment, both the cleaner and conditioner. All looks and feels pretty good.
Old 01-07-11, 06:05 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

i think my leather was reconditioned when i bought my car. when i used maguires spray on leather cleaner.. it took the paint off. now i see the cracks in my center console where our elbows usually lean on. any suggestions on what to do? i'm thinking about just getting a new one center console
Old 01-10-11, 07:44 AM
sc430_337
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mIStaboi
i think my leather was reconditioned when i bought my car. when i used maguires spray on leather cleaner.. it took the paint off. now i see the cracks in my center console where our elbows usually lean on. any suggestions on what to do? i'm thinking about just getting a new one center console
Honestly I would try reconditioning it first. I would lightly sand, wipe down with alcohol twice, and paint. You can get the paint for under $20. I've used the paint to redo a navigator that we've had about 5 years. I've had to do the drivers seat twice because the seat vs. wifes height causes her to slide her butt across the seat and jeans really do a number on it (it was the same with the original finish). Never get any flaking or peeling though.

Quick Reply: Ecru leather touch up