SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Mouse in fan blower motor!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-09, 07:21 PM
Jay87T
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mouse in fan blower motor!!!

So I decied to run to the bank, start up my car and I hear this loud knocking....I turn off the car fast just to make sure its not engine related, I start it up again with the hood up to make sure its not engine noise, its not. I get back into the cab and I keep hearing it untill I turned off the fan motor, sound finaly went away except at HI mode I could still hear it abit, but notice a funky smell in the vents sorta like fishy smell. Its 9pm and I get home, and this is really bugging me at this point, so I drop the glove box and pull out the cabin air filter, and its been eaten through! I pull it out and get my work light and sure enough I see mouse guts in there, dropped the blower fan motor, take apart the fin section, washed it good, got some spray 9 and spent 45 mins spraying everything in there disinfecting everything. Even after washing the fan fins it still has abit of a funky smell. I think I will have to take it apart again and try and clean it again, what do you guys recommend? and how can I stop this from happening again?
Old 05-01-09, 08:56 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

get a good cat and keep it in your garage. a snake will also work.
Old 05-01-09, 09:13 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jason702
A good cat isn't good enough. Cats in this country are so fat & lazy to chase or eat any mouse. You gotta train the cat to be hungry and know how to eat mouse.

I heard of similar story that a mouse died in the engine bay and made a stinky smell. The car's owner took the car to several mechanics without knowing what it is or finding it. Only the last mechanic found it. LOL.
Old 05-01-09, 09:58 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by jason702
The snake getting into the engine bay would be bad too Haven't you seen pictures of that before ?
Old 05-02-09, 09:04 AM
PHXSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had one snake in my garage, a 3' rattler.
I rather have the mouse!
Old 05-02-09, 09:14 AM
norman52
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

No Cats in the Garage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Tire was thumping
I thought it was flat
When I looked at the tire
I noticed the cat
Old 05-02-09, 09:20 AM
Easy2speed
Driver

Keep your re-circ on. It won't happen again.
Old 05-02-09, 03:31 PM
Yes

this reminds me of when i was a kid. we had mice in our garage. we had a cat that we'd taken in as a stray about 6 years earlier. so i said, "let's put sam out there." my mom didn't think she'd catch anything. figured she was too domesticated by then. i checked on her an hour later. she was standing by the door with a pile of 5 dead mice. she'd put them there like a little present to her owners. was pretty cool.
Old 05-02-09, 07:34 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

That cat didn't lose its instinct from the smell of cat food. Those 5 mice would have been in its stomach.
Old 05-03-09, 05:39 AM
Jay87T
Driver School Candidate

yeah I do have a cat, but its a house cat and way overweight, If I put a mouse infront of her, she could care less. I leave my car outside and I do live in the country, I think the mouse got into the vents somehow through the holes beside the windshield wiper arm, just below it. Im going to have to find some way to make that gap smaller.
Old 05-03-09, 05:56 AM
Mr.NA_T
Lexus Test Driver

wow...
that is nasty...
Jus clean it real good
Old 05-03-09, 12:17 PM
Yes

my guess is it had to crawl up one of the wheels. unless it flew. in which case that's mighty mouse you just killed. which would be sad. but assuming it's a normal, flightless mouse, you might try leaving rat/mouse bait stations near each wheel. the mice will smell the "food" and eat it. pretty soon, no more mice.
Old 05-04-09, 07:29 PM
farkas
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL, I bet that little sucker was almost keeping up until you hit that high speed!
Old 05-04-09, 10:09 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by farkas
LOL, I bet that little sucker was almost keeping up until you hit that high speed!
A hamster can keep up with the fan roller, but not a mouse. It needs some practice to do so. LOL.

Watch out for closing any engine bay holes. They're needed to vent the heat out and to bring the cool air in. There's 1 thing that I know is the mouse isn't afraid of engine oil. Try to get some mice repellent such coyote's pee water. I'm sure that'll scare the hell out of the mice.
Old 05-10-09, 09:58 PM
Phatzuk109
Driver School Candidate

I had a mouse get into the condensor and die. Smelled absoutley horrible...had to drive to the dealer with the top down in Dec!!! Service tech had to pull the dash out along with a bunch of extra stuff. They had the car for almost four days and it ended up costing about $1300 when it was all said and done. I have USAA for my auto insurance and thankfully they picked up the entire bill under my comprehensive (what a great company!). The smell will linger for a couple of weeks but it will eventually go away. I'm amazed this happened to another SC driver, but according to my insurer this in not that unusual. Hope it never happens to me again that's for sure!

Quick Reply: Mouse in fan blower motor!!!