SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

TPMS Sensors

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-09, 05:54 PM
cdog
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS Sensors

Just purchased a new set of 20's (Asanti's) for my 2002. Would like to have sensors installed. Can anyone tell me if I can use my old ones and put in new?

If I have to buy new where is a good place to buy?

I have to make a decision quick as the wheels come in on Friday.

Thanks
Old 04-12-09, 06:56 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by cdog
Just purchased a new set of 20's (Asanti's) for my 2002. Would like to have sensors installed. Can anyone tell me if I can use my old ones and put in new?

If I have to buy new where is a good place to buy?

I have to make a decision quick as the wheels come in on Friday.

Thanks
Your original TPMS have a lithuim battery in each and they are not really a replaceble option. I believe that there life span is about 7 years. I have a 2005 sc 430 I put on Donz 20 " staggered 20 x 10 in rear and 20 x 8 in front.
I used my oem sensors and just switched them . They are still working fine.
I sometimes see a set offered on ebay for around 200.00 range. Sewell Lexus is a sponsor i would check them out. They give club lexus a discount. Good luck on your 20" very cool rims .

Buddy
Old 04-13-09, 11:20 AM
PHXSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can use the original sensors. I would recommend buying a seal kit from your Lexus dealer for each sensor. They're like $6 ea., and replaces the o-rings and cap.
Old 04-14-09, 06:24 PM
dbcolli
Rookie

I asked the question about theTPMS having a battery to the parts counter at the local Lexus dealership as I had read in an earlier post about the TPMS battery. He kinda laughed and said they do not have a battery. Anyone else know for sure ?
Mine are close seven years old now.

Last edited by dbcolli; 04-14-09 at 06:28 PM.
Old 04-14-09, 07:53 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dbcolli
I asked the question about theTPMS having a battery to the parts counter at the local Lexus dealership as I had read in an earlier post about the TPMS battery. He kinda laughed and said they do not have a battery. Anyone else know for sure ?
Mine are close seven years old now.
you should have asked him how they transmit an electronic signal without a source of electricity. they have a battery.
Old 04-15-09, 05:36 AM
dbcolli
Rookie

My first thought was a self winding watch.!! If this is not the case a lot of 2002 sc's are going to have 4 tires removed and new TPMs installed and programed. I find this a little hard to believe and I can only imagine how much that would cost!!
Old 04-15-09, 08:09 AM
Yes

the battery died in one of mine before i replaced my wheels and disabled the TPS system. but yes, lexus makes a lot of money off them.
Old 04-15-09, 01:29 PM
rcpeters
Driver

Question Any Indication of dead TPMS sensor battery?

So, if a TPMS sensor battery goes dead, does the low pressure indicator light go on?

Old 04-15-09, 01:59 PM
Yes

yes .
Old 04-15-09, 03:42 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Tpms

Originally Posted by jason702
yes .
It amazes me how little some Lexus dealership part counter clerks know so little about some very obvious things.

When ever I need a relatively inexpensive part [ Yeh Like that exists ] If I go to the parts counter I have to give them my VIN . The car has changed so little since its inception why would there be so many questions as to year color etc. TPMS sensors are all the same just different colors . I needed a trunk plastic nut that belongs on my tool tray to hold it down. They insisted I give them the VIN . The TPMS defiinetly have a lithuim battery in them. It cant be replaced you have to buy a new sensor and you have to replace it with the same color dot one you took out.

Buddy

Love the car Just hate the steelership. Never have any better luck at toyota
parts counters either.
Old 04-16-09, 07:51 AM
norman52
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

It is possible to change the battery but it is not easy for the unskilled. A dremel tool or sharp picks to get through the cover are required

Attached Thumbnails TPMS Sensors-51113tps01.jpg  
Old 04-16-09, 08:23 AM
mhoepfin
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The batteries only last 4 or 5 years and need to be replaced. Just had this done on my VW Phaeton (luckily under CPO). Otherwise it would have been about $1000.

I am just going to do the mod to unplug the warning light on the SC430.
Old 04-16-09, 10:20 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I've replaced 3 of the 4 of mine so far. They've failed one-at-a-time.

When the sensor fails, you'll get the TPMS light on the dash but, it won't "bonk" at you incessently, like it does when you have a flat.

If one or more sensor is reading "low", you'll also get just the light. Once it goes from "low pressure" to "a flat", you'll start getting the "bonk" every few minutes. Really annoying...especially after you've installed the spare and the flat tire is in the trunk. It still bonks at you to let you know that the tire you've changed out and put in the trunk...is still flat.

I don't know if you're planning to but, if you're going to keep the old tires/wheels as winter tires, I'd suggest you keep the sensors in those and buy a new set for the new wheels. The SC430 is setup to handle 2 sets of TPMS sensors (there's a switch in the glove box to toggle between the two sets of sensors).
The following users liked this post:
rc0107 (06-20-20)
Old 04-16-09, 10:49 AM
flyguyskt
Driver School Candidate

i chose to look at the tiny little light on the das and save the 400$...that buys a pretty nice good ole fashioned tire tester and lots of free air.
Old 04-16-09, 11:11 AM
Yes

Originally Posted by flyguyskt
i chose to look at the tiny little light on the das and save the 400$...that buys a pretty nice good ole fashioned tire tester and lots of free air.
if you're going to go that rout, it's very easy to unplug the system and not have to look at the light. you might get the ring later on too, which is extremely annoying. here are the directions from the stickied thread:

- put shifter on N, screw off shifter
- open up center console
- pull the whole heated seat module straight up, it will come up. disconnect
- you will be able to pull up the "back" part of the shift plate area (close to center console)
- once it's up, the only point holding it are two clips right below the radio
- pull the shift plate towards the back of the car and a bit angle up. jiggle a bit and it will come off
- once it's out, you will see the TPS unit right below the radio
- unplug BOTH plugs, one small on the right and one bigger one on the left
- put everything back and enjoy

Quick Reply: TPMS Sensors