Old 03-07-14, 08:04 PM
94ragtop
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SC 430 VSC jump

Originally Posted by whitels
Found the solution written by Speedemon from Lexus Owners Club
http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...4&#entry367124

The problem is solved by putting a jumper on 2 pins in the OBD-II connector under the dash. I think a lot of owners have this problem especially after being scanned for code. Some scanners are not built the same-- that seems to be the explanation. Anyhow, here it is, with a little bit of modification as it suits the SC430.

1. Turn off ignition.
2. Look for the OBD-II connector under the dash, it has a black plastic cover which can be pulled out.
3. Using a 4-inch wire, insert ends on two pins (holes) of the OBD-II connector. Which ones? The connector has two rows of holes with pins inside. The connector's shape is basically rectangle but there's a little wedge shape to it. Like this:

______
/---------\
/-----------\

(see picture below)

I will call the narrower side of the connector the top row, and the wider side to be the lower row. Jump the following pins:
a) on the top row, counting from the left, where the first pin is 1, insert on pin number 3
b) on the bottom row, counting from the left, insert on pin
number 5.

4. Turn ON the ignition, do not start.
5. VSC and Check Engine lights turn ON. That's normal.
6. Wait for the VSC light to rapidly flash.
7. Turn OFF ignition.
8. Pull jumper wire out, cover the OBD-II connector.
9. Turn ignition ON, don't start, wait about 15 seconds to make sure everything has initialized.
10. Start car. Test drive. You've just saved yourself couple of thousand dollars.

Speedemon's car is an LS430. This may therefore be applicable to GS430 and all the UZ-FE family of engines.
Just wanted to tell, you I used your # 2 to # 5 jump on my wifes SC430 and it worked GREAT...

Thank you for the info... even took it to a local Lexus shop I trust, they were not sure what the issue might be..without further exploration... didn't charge me anything for initial visit.

Your trick WAS GREAT... and easy. Thanks Jim
The following users liked this post:
QLex300 (12-28-21)
Old 03-08-14, 06:47 AM
chrisv78
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think that every Lexus owner goes through this headache. VSC On/Off with Check Engine is a general something's wrong error. Sometimes it is because a mechanic plugged in his code reader and accidentally threw a code. Many times a gasket or hose in the evap system is leaking. Best wthing to do (IMHO) is to get a code reader or make friends with a guy at Autozone, who will run codes free. The paper clip trick works many times to reset the codes, but when it comes back you can do some research yourself.
QLex300 (12-28-21)
Old 03-10-14, 03:28 AM
animalfarm
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks everyone. Fixed the issue with the mentioned jumper on my GS430 2001. Issues were caused by a not completely closed fuel gas cap.
QLex300 (12-28-21)
Old 03-14-14, 08:23 AM
Lawrence S
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VSC lights

There is definitely a corelation with the inspection hook up and the VSC lights

My SC430 did it initially after it was inspected at a Firestone store. At that time they did not have the computer hook up for the lexus. Since then they have gotten an updated computer reader and can go in to re-set the lights
Old 04-08-14, 12:28 PM
Curr
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought we had nipped this guy in the bud, but it's reared it's ugly head again on our 2003 SC430 with 96k miles.

For us it's throwing a P0420, and I had all 4 O2 sensors changed out at Toyota, and it stayed off for almost a week, but now it's back. CEL and VSC and VSC OFF. Sigh.

Hopefully it's just a small exhaust leak somewhere.
Old 04-09-14, 04:14 PM
ktdsc430
Driver School Candidate

Try buying a scan tool. I bought a scan tool on Ebay for under $20.00 and it works fine providing me with accurate codes for malfunctions.
Old 04-14-14, 05:37 AM
Curr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ktdsc430
Try buying a scan tool. I bought a scan tool on Ebay for under $20.00 and it works fine providing me with accurate codes for malfunctions.
I have reader / software for it, that's how I know what the code was

Anyway... small update.

Took the car to the local exhaust shop, and the was indeed 2 leaks just past each O2 sensor before the Y pipe, where the clamp for the heat shield goes around the pipe. He cut out the old Y pipe, fabbed a new one and welded it in.

Drove about 30 miles so far, and no lights.... I'm crossing my fingers and am hopeful they won't return.

Wish us luck!

Also put some new American Racing rims on her ride.
Excuse the drooling mobile security system in the back.

VSC / VSC OFF Lights-fmfqjd5.jpg
The following 2 users liked this post by Curr:
QLex300 (12-28-21), Trick1978 (12-13-23)
Old 04-27-14, 10:52 AM
Twisted99
Driver School Candidate

Just found this thread today. Wife's 03 has had the "CEL" " VSC" "VSC OFF" lights on for weeks. I pulled / cleared codes 3 or 4 times and they kept coming back. After reading this thread I figured I would clear the codes (p0442 and p0456) first. I plug in the scan tool and there is no VSC / VSC OFF light! All I did was read the codes, I did NOT clear them. So I cleared the codes and drove the car. Speeds from steady 20-30 to sprints to 80. No CEL or other lights. WTF!

I guess all we have to do is read this thread and things fix themselves.
QLex300 (12-28-21)
Old 04-27-14, 05:01 PM
Born2x
Rookie

Great information whitels. Thanks for doing the research and sharing the DYI.

Best Regards,
Dan
QLex300 (12-28-21)
Old 04-28-14, 05:08 AM
Curr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Curr
I have reader / software for it, that's how I know what the code was

Anyway... small update.

Took the car to the local exhaust shop, and the was indeed 2 leaks just past each O2 sensor before the Y pipe, where the clamp for the heat shield goes around the pipe. He cut out the old Y pipe, fabbed a new one and welded it in.

Drove about 30 miles so far, and no lights.... I'm crossing my fingers and am hopeful they won't return.

Wish us luck!

Also put some new American Racing rims on her ride.
Excuse the drooling mobile security system in the back.

Just a small update, car still running great, no lights back on. I talked to a Lexus SA and he said those spots after the O2 sensors where the heat shields clamp on is a notorious rust spot, so make sure you have those checked if you're getting these lights.
Trick1978 (12-13-23)
Old 05-11-14, 11:18 AM
Twisted99
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Twisted99
Just found this thread today. Wife's 03 has had the "CEL" " VSC" "VSC OFF" lights on for weeks. I pulled / cleared codes 3 or 4 times and they kept coming back. After reading this thread I figured I would clear the codes (p0442 and p0456) first. I plug in the scan tool and there is no VSC / VSC OFF light! All I did was read the codes, I did NOT clear them. So I cleared the codes and drove the car. Speeds from steady 20-30 to sprints to 80. No CEL or other lights. WTF!

I guess all we have to do is read this thread and things fix themselves.
Lights came back on yesterday.
Old 09-11-14, 07:24 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Happened to me, after an emission test...wt...I guess I need to reset using the jumper thingy.
Old 09-12-14, 04:48 PM
mandyfig

Update, cleared the lights using the jumper 3 and 5! Works. Now waiting for the rain to stop so I can do a road test to see if the lights will come back. I will also get my OBDII tester and check on the codes. Thanks to the guy who found this neat trick.
Old 09-19-14, 09:32 AM
wclinton22
Driver School Candidate

Default Please help code p0442 and p0456 after enine light fix

I'm new to this site but need help. I had a check engine light go on with the code p0442 and p0456. I bought a new gas cap, thanks to this site, and the check engine light went off. Now I reset the codes and since then the reader says no codes but the vsc off and vsc light are still on. I took it to the mechanic and he charged me $25 to reset the system with his "super duper checker thingy." Anyhow he says "your not racing right so don't worry." Then he has the audacity to say "don't worry as it only applies if your rolling over." OK so you get my drift. I did try to push the vsc off button but it wouldn't go off. If no codes are reading and the lights are still on, which came on when the check engine light came on that HAS BEEN FIXED with a new gas cap, what is the problem and can it be fixed? I don't want to get banged out and hopefully you guys can help.

Last edited by wclinton22; 09-19-14 at 10:18 AM.
Old 09-19-14, 04:51 PM
mandyfig

Create your jumper and your VCS and VSC Off lights will go away. Despair not. Go read this thread.

Quick Reply: VSC / VSC OFF Lights