SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC 430 Transmission Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-09, 11:43 PM
cssc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy SC 430 Transmission Problems

I have a 2002 SC 430 with 68,000 miles on it. Is anyone having problems with the transmission? Today, I could not go forward in any gear...could go in reverse. I turned off the ignition and re-started the engine, then the car worked fine.

Tonight I went out and the car was fine. However, later had the same problem.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks.
Old 03-01-09, 08:14 AM
joeyb
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've never encountered anything like this?
Old 03-01-09, 08:15 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

First things first, check your transmission fluid level yet? These transmissions are very sensitive to fluid level.
Old 03-01-09, 09:29 AM
cssc
Driver School Candidate

Yes, I have...and the transmission fluid level is fine and it looks OK.
Old 03-01-09, 09:45 AM
aquanuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Doubt its the tranny, I had this was just a weak battery that caused it for me. Maybe an electrical hicup.

Turning ignition off/on fixed it for me as well.
Old 03-02-09, 07:28 PM
cssc
Driver School Candidate

Default Need a new trans

Thanks for the responses.

I just got back from the Lexus service department. They could not duplicate the problem, however, they said the fluid had a "slight odor". They said if the problem reoccurs, I will need a new transmission.
Old 03-02-09, 09:43 PM
Rahstyles
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use Purple Royal ATF...

And your problem will go
Old 03-03-09, 02:31 PM
Chilkoot
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't be surprised if it was your battery either. Low voltage can cause some really wonky things to happen.

From the way you describe it your car acted like it was in neutral. If it were really doing damage to itself in the usual nuked-transmission manner I would expect some grinding, slippage or other indication that it was at least trying to engage. I'm not entirely familiar with transmission operation, but don't they use electric solenoids to direct fluids? Possible that your transmission is not getting enough electrical juice to flip the solenoids for drive, but is getting enough to put it in reverse? Perhaps it could be a faulty wire and/or connection between the battery and transmission.
Old 03-03-09, 04:20 PM
bopc1996
Driver School Candidate

I just took my 2002 sc430 with 40,000 miles to the dealer as in the last 3 weeks twice I had to do the manual overhide thing to get it out of park. Lexus inspected it and said nothing was wrong with it. Luckily my warranty does not run out for another 18 months.
Old 03-03-09, 04:26 PM
Rippaflow
Lead Lap

I've seen this happen to people on the GS forums...It's been the battery as the cause.
Old 03-03-09, 05:15 PM
guitarmike
Rookie

I have seen low battery voltage cause this also. However, it could help to know how long the vehicle had been sitting between when this happened and when you last drove the vehicle. I have seen cars sit at our dealership for over 5 days and have the torque converter loose some fluid pressure and require a 5-10 second period of run time to regain that pressure before it would go into gear. This is for the most part a normal condition. Also extreme cold weather can do this is as well. I'm not sure what the weather is like where you are, but we are freezing our rear ends off here in NC!!
Old 03-04-09, 09:52 AM
cssc
Driver School Candidate

Hi Guitarmike,

I use the car every day. It probably was about 4 hours since I last drove it when the problem occurred.

It can't be the temperature...it's about 70 degrees here.

I will check out the battery.

Thanks for your input.
Old 03-08-09, 10:58 PM
cssc
Driver School Candidate

As of today, 3/8/09, I have not had a problem with my transmission. I was ready to buy a new battery based on the feedback I received. I cleaned my battery terminal connection (which had a small amount of deposits) today. It will be interesting if the transmission problem reoccurs.

The other problem I have is that the service statement said I have a broken trans/engine mount.
Old 03-17-09, 06:30 PM
DirtySC430
Driver School Candidate

Default sc430 Transmission Problems

Interesting thread, guys... I just stumbled upon it while researching my transmission problems.

I have an 02 SC430 with (yikes!) 123,000 miles on it. Last October my
transmission began hesitating when shifting into drive... Reverse was ok. I could throttle through it without too much of a jerk when it finally engaged, and I didn't feel or hear anything worthy of concern. It only happened from
a cold start, too, so I assumed it was a circulatory (pump) problem.

I took it to the dealer in December and they thought a clogged filter was the culprit, so they replaced it and the hesitation was gone.

For about a week. Then it returned, and has been the same for the past three months. Back to the dealer, who is now telling me that my tranny is going because it is losing pressure. It's $5050 installed, so I told him I'd wait a couple of months, particularly since it has been little more than an annoyance, and certainly doesn't seem to be getting any worse.

He did say that my battery is going, so I had that replaced, and I pick the car up tomorrow morning. Never thought about the relationship between the battery and the tranny until reading this thread, but if by some miracle that cures it, I'll certainly let you know.

-Chris
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Old 03-19-09, 03:44 AM
jgreezy
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm having that same problem only in my situation I bought a rebuildable salvaged sc430 and im nearing completion and went to move it for the first time and would not go into drive but went into reverse. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply: SC 430 Transmission Problems