SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Post the most recent pic of your SC (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-14, 02:46 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Was detailing my car today and found a dent in my new rim!!! I nearly had an aneurysm on the spot!!! THIS IS MY NIGHTMARE!!! How can a ding like that even happen???
Attached Thumbnails Post the most recent pic of your SC (merged threads)-img_20140618_155131_238.jpg   Post the most recent pic of your SC (merged threads)-img_20140618_155136_700.jpg   Post the most recent pic of your SC (merged threads)-img_20140618_155149_773.jpg  
Old 06-18-14, 03:02 PM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I can't see you doing that one. had to come from the factory. call the company you get them from.
Old 06-18-14, 04:01 PM
Lexeffect
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OMG! ShawnOK I about had an aneurysm as well after viewing your photos and it isn't even MY CAR! It looks like it was done with malicious intent!
Old 06-18-14, 08:01 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lexeffect
OMG! ShawnOK I about had an aneurysm as well after viewing your photos and it isn't even MY CAR! It looks like it was done with malicious intent!
Do you really think this is malicious? I don't see any other way this could occur other than with intent, maybe a ball pin hammer? I'm so upset and angry. I have one enemy in the area (who I punched in the mouth for racist comments). Luckily, I have 24hr video surveillance on my car from my bedroom window so I'm going to review the video for the last 4 days. There's a chance it could have happened at another location as my enemy and I work in the same hospital (cruel fate). I know my car well enough that I detail it every few days and at least wipe down the rims and didn't see this damage this past weekend. I'm so angry/upset/distraught. I just don't see how this could have happened in any other "natural" situation or manufacturer defect. I've contact MRR wheels but no response yet.

Last edited by ShawnOk; 06-18-14 at 08:31 PM.
Old 06-19-14, 08:37 AM
Lexeffect
Driver

I do feel that this damage was done on purpose ShawnOK. The only other way I see this happening other than outright vandalism, is if when airing up your tires at a service shop the air chuck was inadvertently dropped onto the dish of your wheel by the service tech and the individual didn't own up to it. However, I don't see you having anyone but yourself air up your tires, and I'm positive you didn't do it so...... I would be SO angry! HULK SMASH!

Last edited by Lexeffect; 06-19-14 at 08:40 AM.
Old 06-19-14, 01:42 PM
Prasha
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I feel something fell near and bounced off to your wheel, must be sharp and heavy for that momentum parked or driving..... a wheel nut(similar object) flying in to U driving at 45+ miles speed can do that.
Old 06-19-14, 02:31 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

So if the damage wasn't the work of the malicious individual i have in mind, the only other possibility is while I was at Lexus yesterday morning for the Trans Pressure mod. Maybe they just did a courtesy check for tire pressure and dropped the chuck. How can I bring this up to my service consultant without sounding accusatory? I'm still reviewing my camera footage though. I'm just so disappointed. I don't even want to drive now. Had my new rims for less than two weeks and this b.s. :-(
Old 06-19-14, 03:28 PM
DarthSid
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ShawnOk, look at your paperwork from the dealer...... It’s laid out in detail what they performed on your vehicle. Are your wheels staggered? If no, did they rotate your tires, check brake pads, etc. The damage to the outer lip on your rim appears to have been caused by a blunt object. If you suspect this may have occurred at the dealership, it can’t hurt to ask. I have experienced issues with service performed by the dealership in the past where the tech intentionally failed to fess up. I was able to get to the bottom of the issue, but I behaved professionally. You must do the same to persuade an honest response. Okay, lets move forward, we all know you are upset, heck, I would be furious! Start focusing on a solution to have your rim repaired and put this behind you. Enjoy life and your car.
Old 06-19-14, 03:38 PM
Lexeffect
Driver

I must echo the comments made by DarthSid... He makes a good claim. It saddens me that you no longer wish to drive the automobile. I would also explain to the service rep that you keep your car in excellent condition and you certainly didn't have the damage before the visit. Judging from the condition of your SC430, he may be inclined to agree with you and lean toward working something out or a credit etc. I know the feeling. I would rather have my front quarter panel dented in 3 inches instead of a few well placed door dings. At least then I could scrap the quarter panel and replace it with a new one and the problem would be gone instead of having to live with certain dings etc. Keep us informed and let us know your progress if any. Good luck to you concerning this.
Old 06-19-14, 11:06 PM
Anion
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

its ok shawn...i found a dent in my rim too yesterday

Old 06-20-14, 08:07 AM
Lexeffect
Driver

Anion-- Now THAT... THAT is malicious intent! Lol. Would you mind explaining to the rest of the class what happened exactly? Thank you. We'll wait quietly...
Old 06-20-14, 08:32 AM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Wow....that sucks big time.

I have to agree that it looks like a rock or other debris kicking up and hitting the lip. One issue with the one piece look a like rims is that the lips are actually a thin stainless steel jackets that can dent and damage easily.
Old 06-20-14, 03:50 PM
Anion
Pole Position

its tough to explain what happened....i was in the corner turning...i was going about 20mph....my foot was ont he gas about half way...i had a pretty good pick up speed as i was going...

for some oddball reason i had my vsa off...

well anyways....

the rear started sliding a bit...so i was just kinda meh...slight slide wouldnt hurt it...but i felt as if the gas pedal was stuck....i know our gas pedal is electronic not cable...but i panicked...within the panick im sure i even gun the gas down even more...the tail whipped twice ..maybe 3times i cant recall it happened so fast...i was counter steering...and letting my foot off the gas...by the time i realize i need to hit the brakes....my car was near in the ditch....but hitting the brakes saved the car actually...

the rim on the other hand didnt...it hit the cemented pipe and went BOOM...
Old 06-20-14, 07:18 PM
Prasha
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Anion
the rim on the other hand didnt...it hit the cemented pipe and went BOOM...
Is your rim repairable? cost estimate? re chrome?
Old 06-21-14, 05:51 AM
Anion
Pole Position

The Lip is polished...

i Got Quoted from works in Japan...for them to remove the face...and a brand new Polised Barrel ...will run me 500 shipped...

im still trying to look for local shops to fix it....i brought it to one guy who i always bring it to..he said he will try but the inner barrel is damage also...not just the lip...so it will be tough to balance it out...

but im going to bring it to a bigger shop in houston,texas in a few days and see what they will think...

Quick Reply: Post the most recent pic of your SC (merged threads)