SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Surprising things you learned about the SC long after buying it

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-14, 02:01 PM
SC4ME
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by depone
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

just spent over $700 to repair a door dent put in by some inconsiderate ***. I really think in some cases it's done by an envious dimwit. One time, while exiting a grocery store I saw a woman empty her cart and then push it hard toward three empty parking places across the aisle and send it crashing into the side of my car. When I confronted her she said "it's only a car. what are you going to do about it?"

Being the commanding officer of a sheriffs department I took her by the shoulder, turned her around, cuffed her and called for a cruiser to transport her to the county jail. All that frozen food! Too bad lady.

She got 100 hours of community service and had to pay full restitution for the damages. For some reason I felt much better.
this made my day
Old 05-08-14, 05:38 PM
SC43052
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by depone
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

just spent over $700 to repair a door dent put in by some inconsiderate ***. I really think in some cases it's done by an envious dimwit. One time, while exiting a grocery store I saw a woman empty her cart and then push it hard toward three empty parking places across the aisle and send it crashing into the side of my car. When I confronted her she said "it's only a car. what are you going to do about it?"

Being the commanding officer of a sheriffs department I took her by the shoulder, turned her around, cuffed her and called for a cruiser to transport her to the county jail. All that frozen food! Too bad lady.

She got 100 hours of community service and had to pay full restitution for the damages. For some reason I felt much better.
You are truly to be commended for your professionalism, respect for the rule of law and ultimate personal control in keeping your weapon holstered.

It must have been extremely tempting to drop the hammer.

(Just kidding)
Old 05-12-14, 06:45 AM
depone
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SC43052
You are truly to be commended for your professionalism, respect for the rule of law and ultimate personal control in keeping your weapon holstered.

It must have been extremely tempting to drop the hammer.

(Just kidding)

Maybe YOU were kidding. I was seriously considering retroactive birth control.
Old 06-08-14, 10:23 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

So, I'm slowly making my way through this thread to get some more "SC430 Life Hacks." Three things that I will add in that those of us with the LuxLink, I've found three things in particular.

One, if you use the auto roof via the key and make it to the car before the windows go up, you can enter the car (since the doors are unlocked while the roof is in motion) and hit the power lock button inside the car to avoid having the windows roll up. I can also start the car while the roof is in motion and press 1 on the wall to memory seat position while the roof cycles. In most of the LuxLink literature, it specifies that you must use the key in the driver's side door to stop the cycle. I found this method is faster and have less of a chance of the motor being burned out with repeated "up-down" of the window.

Secondly, if you are exiting the vehicle you can open the door, hold the key lock for 3 seconds to start the roof cycle and manually lock the driver and passenger doors and exit the vehicle rather than waiting around for the cycle to complete and arm the system with fob lock key. Of course, this doesn't arm the security but the doors are locked. I usually use this method for quick grocery/shopping stops in the daylight hours.

Lastly, as I read in one post that triple tapping the window button will drop the quarter windows in those of us with the LuxLink This method didn't work for me. Too bad.

Last edited by ShawnOk; 06-08-14 at 10:27 AM.
Old 06-08-14, 10:44 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
Lastly, as I read in one post that triple tapping the window button will drop the quarter windows in those of us with the LuxLink This method didn't work for me. Too bad.
This feature was an OPTIONAL feature for the LuxLink. If you ordered the LuxLink with this option, you got a separate module (an off-the-shelf window roll-up/roll-down module) that connected to one of the normally-unused wires of the LuxLink. When you triple-press the window down button, it activated the roll-up/roll-down module and, voila...the rear windows move!

I have this option. I don't use it a lot but, it's occasionally really handy to be able to do.
Old 06-08-14, 11:34 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Habious
This feature was an OPTIONAL feature for the LuxLink. If you ordered the LuxLink with this option, you got a separate module (an off-the-shelf window roll-up/roll-down module) that connected to one of the normally-unused wires of the LuxLink. When you triple-press the window down button, it activated the roll-up/roll-down module and, voila...the rear windows move!

I have this option. I don't use it a lot but, it's occasionally really handy to be able to do.
Yeah I heard about the quarter window mod but I was truly hoping the earlier versions of Luxlink had it built in. I have a version 2, so I guess I had high hopes.
Old 06-08-14, 04:21 PM
Solman
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnOk

One, if you use the auto roof via the key and make it to the car before the windows go up, you can enter the car (since the doors are unlocked while the roof is in motion) and hit the power lock button inside the car to avoid having the windows roll up. I can also start the car while the roof is in motion and press 1 on the wall to memory seat position while the roof cycles. In most of the LuxLink literature, it specifies that you must use the key in the driver's side door to stop the cycle. I found this method is faster and have less of a chance of the motor being burned out with repeated "up-down" of the window.

Secondly, if you are exiting the vehicle you can open the door, hold the key lock for 3 seconds to start the roof cycle and manually lock the driver and passenger doors and exit the vehicle rather than waiting around for the cycle to complete and arm the system with fob lock key. Of course, this doesn't arm the security but the doors are locked. I usually use this method for quick grocery/shopping stops in the daylight hours.

I'm not sure what you're trying to do with number one. Your roof and windows are down and you want the roof but not the windows up? If thats your objective, I would just let luxlink finish its job and then put the windows down.

If you are exiting your car after having hit the dash button 2x, then I always use the power door lock switch on the door-it does set security as well. It will also save your remote batteries.

In both versions of Luxlink, the rear quarter mod was always an add-on feature and most Luxlinks were sold without that mod.

John
Old 06-08-14, 06:58 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Soloman, I have a version 2 which doesn't not have the double-tap feature. Mine only has the key fob remote start and top function. Therefore with every roof drop, the final movement is the windows in the up position. If I want to drive right away, why would i want the windows up? Therefore I can stop the cycle before they go up by getting in as the doors are unlocked, starting the car, hitting the power lock and memory seat buttons at the proper moment, and drive away without having to roll with windows back down again. On exiting the car, I can use the remote key again to put the top up remotely and this time allow the windows to roll all the way up to finish the cycle. But the final movement on the top up procedure is an unlock door, so you have to stand around like a dufus to allow the LuxLink to finish it's cycle to hit "lock" on the fob... OR as I was indicating, manually lock the door and walk away once the cycle starts. This way you're not standing around and the door is 100% locked when you walk away.

Last edited by ShawnOk; 06-08-14 at 07:04 PM.
Old 06-11-14, 01:01 PM
Moonstruck
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I can't believe that a car as cool and totally optioned as the SC430 does not have a digital compass.
Old 06-11-14, 01:21 PM
bb430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The compass is in your NAV system.
Old 06-11-14, 01:34 PM
Moonstruck
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thank's I have not mastered the nav system. Next on my list.
Old 08-19-14, 05:15 PM
rlp1949
Pit Crew

The link in Post 152 no longer works. I am curious about the override. Is there another explanation somewhere else?
Old 08-20-14, 07:56 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by rlp1949
The link in Post 152 no longer works. I am curious about the override. Is there another explanation somewhere else?
What is your NAV generation?
Old 09-01-14, 03:24 PM
rlp1949
Pit Crew

I will find out by the end of the week. My car is still in transit here from the East Coast.
Old 11-21-14, 05:28 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

The Nav can find locations based on longitude/latitude. This is particularly useful for destinations that do not have street numbers -- i.e. inside a state park.

Since I am not too bright, I could never get the Nav to accept the Google longitude/latitude. Turns out, Google uses decimal whereas the car wants degrees and minutes. Found a website here that will do the conversion. Problem solved.

Quick Reply: Surprising things you learned about the SC long after buying it