SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Surprising things you learned about the SC long after buying it

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-09, 05:51 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Learned today: a telephone call is considered a "RADIO OFF" event. I always assumed that the telephone call just took control of the SC speakers (switched input), but the SC actually turns the radio OFF for the durantion of the call, then turns it back on. Does this matter? No, but I thought it was kinda odd.
Old 02-25-09, 06:30 PM
sc430guy
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That VSC means vehicle stability control, and when I turn it off, the car is infinitely more fun to drive and i can burnout and fish tail and do fun **** to my hearts content
The following users liked this post:
JHNSTN (08-03-21)
Old 03-09-09, 06:07 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Here's something I learned today. While talking on the bluetooth telephone, you can switch back to the navigation screen by pressing MAP; this does not disconnect the call.

However, if you try to go back to the call screen by pressing TELE, you will disconnect the call.
The following users liked this post:
SC430Dad (11-18-22)
Old 03-09-09, 10:38 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

...something I just read !!!...in the glove box,there are 2 buttons....one for the top and one for the tires?...not sure what that button is for,but was made mentioned of,in a thread about a problem related to the top !!! ed
Old 03-10-09, 08:05 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by texsexlex
...something I just read !!!...in the glove box,there are 2 buttons....one for the top and one for the tires?...not sure what that button is for,but was made mentioned of,in a thread about a problem related to the top !!! ed

The "tire" button lets you switch between two sets of Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) sensors. You could buy a second set of wheels, complete with TPMS sensors, with a set of snow tires...and easily switch between them.

The "top" button is the valet switch...it locks out the top so that the valet can't go cruising around town with the top down in your car.
Old 03-14-09, 05:36 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by deadeyed
wow, didn't know that. I'll try it tomorrow. Thanks!
this feature is also on my two 2004 rx's, great for curbs and the grand kids toys in the driveway.
Old 03-14-09, 01:28 PM
TooCoolSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my 2002 SC 430 a week ago and just noticed something. I guess I never thought about it.

Being from Texas, almost every car you see on the road has the windows tinted to block out the heat. I've had my windows tinted in every car I've had for years.

But I just noticed a couple of days ago that the windows in my SC aren't tinted. I know I've seen some that are, but mine are not....which got me to wondering....

With the folding top, is there a good reason why many SC's are NOT tinted? Is it more tedious than tinting a regular car, or could it cause some problem I'm not aware of?

For those that have your windows tinted, do you have ALL of them tinted (except the windshield), or just the side windows? What about the little windows behind the side windows? Is there any information you have to share for someone that is considering getting the tinting done?

I just can't imagine living in Texas and not having tinted windows. The light Ecru interior of my car will help some, but I would still think tinting would be necessary.
Old 03-14-09, 04:04 PM
ntr987
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have all my windows tinted (except the windshield). I got the 35% tint and its not too dark and keeps the cars interior from overheating. The tint job was not more tedious than any other car. I saw they had the top half way down to easily tint the back windshield.

I notice range rovers in my area that have the front windshield tinted. Anyone done this? I would like to get a light tint for the front windshield.
Old 03-14-09, 04:18 PM
CBG
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TooCoolSC
I bought my 2002 SC 430 a week ago and just noticed something. I guess I never thought about it.

Being from Texas, almost every car you see on the road has the windows tinted to block out the heat. I've had my windows tinted in every car I've had for years.

But I just noticed a couple of days ago that the windows in my SC aren't tinted. I know I've seen some that are, but mine are not....which got me to wondering....

With the folding top, is there a good reason why many SC's are NOT tinted? Is it more tedious than tinting a regular car, or could it cause some problem I'm not aware of?

For those that have your windows tinted, do you have ALL of them tinted (except the windshield), or just the side windows? What about the little windows behind the side windows? Is there any information you have to share for someone that is considering getting the tinting done?

I just can't imagine living in Texas and not having tinted windows. The light Ecru interior of my car will help some, but I would still think tinting would be necessary.
I think the southern state are alot more liberal about tinting windows as it is needed more down south. I know here in Rhode Island if your windows are tinted too dark you will get pulled over, given a ticket and expected to take off your dark tint. Here you are allowed to have a certain % tint on your windows but it is almost not worth tinting your windows here in R.I. because of what is allowed by law.
Old 03-14-09, 05:42 PM
intdiamond
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ntr987
I have all my windows tinted (except the windshield). I got the 35% tint and its not too dark and keeps the cars interior from overheating. The tint job was not more tedious than any other car. I saw they had the top half way down to easily tint the back windshield.

I notice range rovers in my area that have the front windshield tinted. Anyone done this? I would like to get a light tint for the front windshield.
Check your state laws; in MI and IL it's illegal to tint your windshield at all.
Old 03-14-09, 05:45 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Habious
The "top" button is the valet switch...it locks out the top so that the valet can't go cruising around town with the top down in your car.
its main purpose is to lock the trunk so the valet can't go snooping or steal anything – assuming you give him your valet key and not your master key. but it'll stop him from cruising with the top down too
Old 03-14-09, 05:48 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by intdiamond
Check your state laws; in MI and IL it's illegal to tint your windshield at all.
in most states, it's legal to tint the top strip of the windshield. i'm almost positive it's illegal in every state to tint the entire thing. it's possible the front just looked tinted because the rest of the SUV was dark inside.
Old 03-15-09, 08:06 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by TooCoolSC

I was told by a tint guy that the rear quarter-windows are a real PITA to tint because they only time they're up is when the top is up. If you START to put the top down, one of the first thing that happens is the quarter windows disappear so, a grown adult has to squeeze into the back seat, with the top up, to tint those.

Now, if you have the quarter window mod and can raise these windows back up after the top goes down, that would make life MUCH easier for the tint guy.
Old 03-15-09, 12:05 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

....I'm in Tex also...tinting it was not a problem at all !!!..we tinted the rear first(with the top halfway back,for easy access)...then we tinted the sides and quarters(they aren't hard to get to,just let the fronts seats up...lol )...also in texas,the legal % on the sides are35%.I have 20% which is a little bit darker,but haven't had a problem with the law. Also cars with dark interior,make any shade tint appear darker,than it may be !!! The strip on the windshield is allowed 4 or 6in...usually on a windshield,there is a marking/label on one side or the other...near the top.Under the letters,there is a line....thats usually the legal mark,for tinting. ed
Old 03-16-09, 08:39 AM
Dottiebubb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Too Cool SC, PM me and I'll give you the guy who tinted my 2008!

BW

Quick Reply: Surprising things you learned about the SC long after buying it