SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

ready to replace run flat tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-09, 06:47 PM
dcgamer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ready to replace run flat tires

I have an 02 sc430, purchased this past Fall and I recently took it in to Lexus of Cerritos for the first scheduled maintenance which included some inspection of the vehicle, just put in like 3k miles since purchasing it and they mention the front tires have 1% tread and the rear 0% tread left....I ended up almost loosing control of the car few days ago on a rainy day but luckily the skid control kicked in..so the vehicle has finished tires and is badly unaligned...need some suggestions as to any non-RFTs tires that have suited well other sc430 owners here...any suggestions looking for 18's and will most likely be going to Sears auto service for that. thanks in advance
Old 02-11-09, 09:23 PM
s2000
Driver School Candidate

i have goodyear eagle F1 DSG on all my sports cars. superb handling in wet and dry and last a long time for high performance tires. remains quiet until near its end of life. there are better tires for a lot more money, but hard to get more bang for the buck. check it out at tirerack.com.
Old 02-12-09, 03:23 AM
CBG
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dcgamer
I have an 02 sc430, purchased this past Fall and I recently took it in to Lexus of Cerritos for the first scheduled maintenance which included some inspection of the vehicle, just put in like 3k miles since purchasing it and they mention the front tires have 1% tread and the rear 0% tread left....I ended up almost loosing control of the car few days ago on a rainy day but luckily the skid control kicked in..so the vehicle has finished tires and is badly unaligned...need some suggestions as to any non-RFTs tires that have suited well other sc430 owners here...any suggestions looking for 18's and will most likely be going to Sears auto service for that. thanks in advance
I have replaced my runflats with Bridgestone Potenza RE960 A/S Pole Postion tires 245/40ZR18. A real good all season tire. The Sears store near me would not touch any runflat tires and also some independent tire shops wouldn't touch my runflats. You should call around and find shops in your area that do deal with runflat tires.
Good Luck
Old 02-12-09, 06:47 AM
tfischer

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

I have the Michelin Pilot Sports, which my dealer installs on many cars.
As for installation, have the tires sent to you dealer and pay them to make the switch. This way you know that the runflats will be taken off correctly and the tire pressure monitors won't be harmed.
Old 02-12-09, 09:33 AM
Klynn
Driver School Candidate

I am on my second set of Michelin Pilot Sports on my 2002 and I really like them. Got a little over 40,000 miles on the first set.
Old 02-12-09, 09:41 AM
PHXSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

May want to consider the BF Goodrich Super Sports. Made by Michelin for a lot less $$$.
I have them one my car and they are grippy and quiet.
Old 02-12-09, 01:38 PM
dcgamer
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tfischer
As for installation, have the tires sent to you dealer and pay them to make the switch. This way you know that the runflats will be taken off correctly and the tire pressure monitors won't be harmed.
this sounds like a good idea. props on the suggestions, if anyone has done the switch any more suggestions appreciated as I may check out my options and drop money on this issue in a day or 2.
Old 02-12-09, 01:43 PM
PHXSC
Lead Lap

^^^
There's tons of cars out there with TPMS, and any halfway competent tire store can change tires without harming the sensors.
You may want to consider picking up 4 fitting kits from your Lexus dealer to take with you and replace the TPMS seals while the tires are off the rims.
I also have an '02, and when I put new wheels on I changed these seals. They're about $6 ea for what Lexus calls a "fitting kit".
Old 02-12-09, 08:49 PM
robsvdp
Pole Position

Default BF Goodrich

Just ordered a set of g-force super sports myself. Hope to have them installed this Thursday. I'll post my impressions thereafter. Roughly $750 out the door installed for a set of 4.
Old 02-13-09, 11:54 PM
dcgamer
Driver School Candidate

i'm leaning towards some 20 inch tires + chrome rims listed locally on craigslist, the seller mentions they fit sc430s..to the more experienced members on this forum: what precautions/steps should I take to making sure if i purchase a wheel+tire package it is installed correctly? I would be looking at purchasing them and having them possibbly installed at a good tire place or the Lex dealership. thanks in advance
edit: will go for 18's most liekly tho n opt for OEM g-spiders

Last edited by dcgamer; 02-14-09 at 02:39 AM.
Old 02-15-09, 09:51 PM
mike2mick
Driver School Candidate

Lightbulb very very good

very very good
Old 02-16-09, 08:38 AM
PHXSC
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dcgamer
i'm leaning towards some 20 inch tires + chrome rims listed locally on craigslist, the seller mentions they fit sc430s..to the more experienced members on this forum: what precautions/steps should I take to making sure if i purchase a wheel+tire package it is installed correctly? I would be looking at purchasing them and having them possibbly installed at a good tire place or the Lex dealership. thanks in advance
edit: will go for 18's most liekly tho n opt for OEM g-spiders
There's an excellent sticky at the top of the page by Rominl on wheel fitment, if you're considering other than the OEM size.
Not long ago, I went through the same process, and opted for g-spiders in chrome.
Old 02-16-09, 10:16 AM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by robsvdp
Just ordered a set of g-force super sports myself. Hope to have them installed this Thursday. I'll post my impressions thereafter. Roughly $750 out the door installed for a set of 4.
Let me know what you think of these, Rob. If you haven't had them installed I have three words for you - DON'T DO IT!!

I had a set of BFG G-Force tires on my GS, and not only did they ride hard, they were loud, had absolutely horrible tread life, and cupped within 4K. I bought them at Costco, and they were installed correctly, but I was back there virtually every week to get them rebalanced to try and correct the cupping. Costco would not say that it was the tire, but I know it was after talking with several other tire shops. I finally gave up on them at 20K, which is just horrendous. Bought the Yokohama's, and I've never looked back. Ride is quieter, better handling, and I don't feel like a corner is going to be tough to navigate. I'm not an extremely aggressive driver on cornering or anything, the BFG's were just not a good tire. My thoughts on it. Perhaps your experience will be better.

Big Mack
Old 02-16-09, 06:03 PM
doc s
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PHXSC
May want to consider the BF Goodrich Super Sports. Made by Michelin for a lot less $$$.
I have them one my car and they are grippy and quiet.
I just put the Super Sports on my 02 and am very satisfied. Got over 30k on my Michelins but saved over $400 by going with the BF Goodrich Super Sports.
Old 02-17-09, 02:25 PM
robsvdp
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Big Mack
Let me know what you think of these, Rob. If you haven't had them installed I have three words for you - DON'T DO IT!!

Big Mack
Which g-force? I heard the g-force summer tire is mediocre, but the all season super-sport is supposed to be great. Installing this Thursday (already paid), so hopefully I have a better experience.

Quick Reply: ready to replace run flat tires