SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Windshield Cracked

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-09, 01:29 PM
quadocox
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield Cracked

What are some prices you guys have paid to replace?
I have been quoted $ 360 - 430.00

Anyone have a contact in the No VA area?

edit..
Some kids broke my Antenna as well. Anyone had this fixed?
I purchased a replacement online for about 14.00 but never got around to fixing it.

Anyone know of any modification to get a smaller tip that can fit in the attenna hole?
Old 02-04-09, 02:13 PM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by quadocox
What are some prices you guys have paid to replace?
I have been quoted $ 360 - 430.00

Anyone have a contact in the No VA area?

edit..
Some kids broke my Antenna as well. Anyone had this fixed?
I purchased a replacement online for about 14.00 but never got around to fixing it.

Anyone know of any modification to get a smaller tip that can fit in the attenna hole?
Check your insurance.
In CT many of us have 1st $ glass coverage.

I've had to use it 4 times for different cars including y SC
Old 02-04-09, 08:38 PM
Rahstyles
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dude.. forget that.. i payed 250$ and they quoted me same price.. but if you got to another place and tell them.. the other place quoted you 280$ and they might just give you a discount.. because the lady told me.. they can get that glass for 100$ anyways.. so there killing you on labor.. dont settle for more than $250 .. and i got a PPG glass
Old 02-05-09, 12:50 AM
Roofless
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi quadocox.

In the past, owners have had trouble with windshield replacement (do a search for all the details.) The main problem was people who bought their glass from third parties were having big problems with fitment. The owners who had the dealership do it had no problems. One owner asked the dealership who they bought their glass from, and was able to save a few bucks having that vendor do the job.

So cost is not the only thing you want to be concerned about. Just a heads-up.

Yes, you can put a small tip antenna on your car. A few members have done it here and posted pics and tips. Also, the masterful Pearlpower posted a step-by-step (with pics) process for replacing the antenna. Do a search for both.

Last edited by Roofless; 02-05-09 at 12:56 AM.
Old 02-06-09, 12:14 AM
Rahstyles
Pole Position

Mine was down.. not at the dealership for 250 and it didnt have any fitment problems.. as a matteraffact.. if you have any problems.. it would be the installers fault.. so.. just take it back and tell them it dont fit right.. and of course there.. either give you yoru money back.. or fix it
Old 02-06-09, 09:14 AM
intdiamond
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just replaced my cracked LX windshield; I demanded Lexus glass, as it is much higher quality than most aftermarket-glass (they were going to order aftermarket-glass). I have a low ($100-) comprehensive-deductible; I pay an extra $22-/year for the lower deductible, and it seems to be worth it. The Lexus dealer said the retail price for the Lexus LX glass was around $1800-

Another thing to pay attention to, if you have navi, is that the SC windshield has the GPS antenna running through it. If you do end up using an aftermarket replacement, make sure it has that antenna.

Good luck.
Old 02-06-09, 11:43 AM
quadocox
Rookie

Originally Posted by intdiamond
I just replaced my cracked LX windshield; I demanded Lexus glass, as it is much higher quality than most aftermarket-glass (they were going to order aftermarket-glass). I have a low ($100-) comprehensive-deductible; I pay an extra $22-/year for the lower deductible, and it seems to be worth it. The Lexus dealer said the retail price for the Lexus LX glass was around $1800-

Another thing to pay attention to, if you have navi, is that the SC windshield has the GPS antenna running through it. If you do end up using an aftermarket replacement, make sure it has that antenna.

Good luck.
I always wondered what that was.
I think I will drop my deductable down, get it fixed and then raise it again.
Old 02-07-09, 08:56 PM
Rahstyles
Pole Position

Originally Posted by quadocox
I always wondered what that was.
I think I will drop my deductable down, get it fixed and then raise it again.
dude just listen to me bro.. its just glass. theres no special maybac bullet proof thing on it.. just get ppg.. glass.. its the same exact thing
Old 02-08-09, 10:35 AM
farkas
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rahstyles
dude just listen to me bro.. its just glass. theres no special maybac bullet proof thing on it.. just get ppg.. glass.. its the same exact thing
I do not agree with you.....Some aftermarket glass is not the same. Just put on a good pair of sunglasses and look at a Lexus windshield, than look at the aftermarkets! The latter will look like it has grill marks all through it and the lexus is clear. Also the Lexus glass is a bit more tempered so it has a harder finish. At least that is what my glassman told me. He was trying to sell me an aftermarket because he could get it local and didn't have to order it from the dealership. Also when the Lexus windshield came in, Two installers and their BOSS came to install it!!!!! Thank God for insurance
It's a Lexus , Put Lexus Parts back on it.....
Old 02-08-09, 08:47 PM
Rahstyles
Pole Position

Originally Posted by farkas
I do not agree with you.....Some aftermarket glass is not the same. Just put on a good pair of sunglasses and look at a Lexus windshield, than look at the aftermarkets! The latter will look like it has grill marks all through it and the lexus is clear. Also the Lexus glass is a bit more tempered so it has a harder finish. At least that is what my glassman told me. He was trying to sell me an aftermarket because he could get it local and didn't have to order it from the dealership. Also when the Lexus windshield came in, Two installers and their BOSS came to install it!!!!! Thank God for insurance
It's a Lexus , Put Lexus Parts back on it.....
Just because its not from lexus.. its automatically bad??

My glass is just as clear as your glass.. or ill sue the people who installed my glass because they said its exactly the same
Old 02-10-09, 10:12 AM
Bellex
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IIRC I believe that the Lexus glass has "Water-repellent door glass with UV protection" (read it on the website) - correct me if I'm wrong... I'd stick to OEM - had a car with aftermarket windshield once... Rear View Mirror rattled like hell and wouldn't tighten up!
Old 02-10-09, 12:08 PM
SledDriver
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My glass is just as clear as your glass.. or ill sue the people who installed my glass because they said its exactly the same
The 02-05 windshield 56101-24040 is $751.69
The 06-08 windshield 56101-24070 is $1196.20 (rain sensing element)

Did you notice that all the windows have the Lexus logo in the corner? For that reason when I replaced my windshield I requested the OEM part.

I was told all glass is the same to, but that I would be getting the premium glass.

Well, if they are all the same why is there different levels of glass available?

I stood my ground, paid my $100 deductible + $36 to get the OEM glass installed. Had to wait 2 days instead of same day service.

Now when I look around my car all my glass matches with the Lexus logo. Not a big deal to some, but it is to me.

You paid a premium price for your car, why go cheap on replacement parts?

Last edited by SledDriver; 02-10-09 at 12:10 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-10-09, 12:47 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by SledDriver
The 06-08 windshield 56101-24070 is $1196.20 (rain sensing element)
My windshield is sensing the rain? What is it doing with this info? I have a Volvo which automatically adjusts the speed of the wiper delay depending on how much rain in on the windshield, but what does the SC do?
Old 02-10-09, 01:05 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Exclamation

If you're going to complain about people reading into your posts or putting words in your mouth, you need to not do the same thing. No one inferred that simply because it didn't come from Lexus it was bad. They said there is a difference, which there most certainly is.

Good luck suing them, then. Your glass may be clear, but if it does not say "Lexus" on it, it's not the same thing. They use layered glass with an insulator impregnated between the layers. Guaranteed the $299 special doesn't have that. See the pricing on the part numbers above? That's what good glass costs. If you think that every shop uses the factory grade replacement, you're sadly mistaken. They're out to make a profit, and some people who don't carry glass coverage or are trying to sell the car and just want a fresh piece in there may not care if it's replaced properly.

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
My windshield is sensing the rain? What is it doing with this info? I have a Volvo which automatically adjusts the speed of the wiper delay depending on how much rain in on the windshield, but what does the SC do?
It's being sensitive to the rain's feelings and how it interacts with the wipers.

Big Mack
Old 02-10-09, 02:49 PM
Rahstyles
Pole Position

well my glass is ppg and i didnt have any problems of shaking rear view mirrors.. or leakage

Quick Reply: Windshield Cracked