SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Windshield Cracked

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-13, 07:40 AM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Bon
I bought a vehicle with an aftermarket windshield and didn't know it until I began to live with it a while. The world is "wrinkled" as I look out at any angle but straight ahead
There goes the theory that glass is just glass.

We see this optical distortion in cheaper aircraft windshields often.

JR
Old 12-21-13, 10:34 AM
Rpsip
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not all glass is created equal

Just ask any optics engineer. Don't know if all windshields are created equal, but it seems doubtful.
Old 12-21-13, 05:04 PM
gstanton
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At service the dealer cracked my original 30k pitted windshield. They offered to replace it with ppg at no cost or
Use a Lexus one for $600.00 my dime. Ppg was a no brainer , no problems.
Old 10-15-15, 06:38 PM
cindyclark
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by FLYCT
Not all the time. I had a 300zx and glass shop tried to install after market glass in my passenger window per State Farm adjuster. The glass curvature was slightly off and it would not sit properly in the seals. After a second after market glass had the same issue State Farm authorized that they ordered Glass from Nissan and it fit perfectly.

My body shop owner friend has multiple horror stories trying to use aftermarket glass. OEM glass is made from original factory molds. Aftermarket glass molds are usually made from a copy of a mold from an OEM windshield. They can cause issues because curvature or dimensions are slightly off or the glass may thinner than OEM glass. This can cause additional road noise, leaks etc.

Lexus uses special rain repellant glass with a permanent titanium-silica coating on certain passenger windows. It's unlikely you would get the same quality from all after market vendors. Look at this link
http://www.lexus.com.bh/technology_e....asp?model=All

JR
well all I know is it took little for my original lexus windshield to not only shatter in the area the rock hit but cracked quickly ..In cheaper cars I have never had glass shatter to this degree
Old 06-11-17, 08:05 AM
jspringato
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A rock hit the top of my windshield west of Vail, CO on Friday. Shortly after, a crack began to grow down into the clear portion of the glass. It looks too long to be repaired.

I have Allstate no deductable glass coverage. I doubt they will replace with OEM, but has anyone paid some extra for a Lexus windshield? Looks like they are $650 online.

BTW, i just did a 3,000 mile trip from Lexington, KY, to Flagstaff, AZ (Grand Canyon), to Monument Valley, to Moki Dugway, to Moab, To Grand Junction, CO in 7 days. The speed combined with confort is unparalled in anything else I've ever owned. I even did Valley of the Gods road with a cargo carrier on the back, top down. What a car.
Old 06-11-17, 08:18 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by jspringato
A rock hit the top of my windshield west of Vail, CO on Friday. Shortly after, a crack began to grow down into the clear portion of the glass. It looks too long to be repaired.

I have Allstate no deductable glass coverage. I doubt they will replace with OEM, but has anyone paid some extra for a Lexus windshield? Looks like they are $650 online.

BTW, i just did a 3,000 mile trip from Lexington, KY, to Flagstaff, AZ (Grand Canyon), to Monument Valley, to Moki Dugway, to Moab, To Grand Junction, CO in 7 days. The speed combined with confort is unparalled in anything else I've ever owned. I even did Valley of the Gods road with a cargo carrier on the back, top down. What a car.

Sounds like a great trip thanks for sharing.
Old 06-11-17, 08:33 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

When you say "cargo carrier," do you mean like a tow-along using a hitch (Uhaul Sports trailer)? or a carrier that mounts on the trunk deck? Do you have any photos? If it is a hitch type tow-along, can you give us some info on your hitch setup, pls?
Old 06-11-17, 08:51 AM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

1- I hate the windshield ding repairs, Every time I've had them done they always become an annoying spot in the field of vision. I will always go for the replacement.
2- I have had 4 windshields replaced over the years. All were OEM glass, I never had pushback from the insurance.
Old 06-11-17, 09:57 AM
jspringato
Driver

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
When you say "cargo carrier," do you mean like a tow-along using a hitch (Uhaul Sports trailer)? or a carrier that mounts on the trunk deck? Do you have any photos? If it is a hitch type tow-along, can you give us some info on your hitch setup, pls?
​​​​​​
by https://www.flickr.com/photos/44561435@N02/, on Flickr
by https://www.flickr.com/photos/44561435@N02/, on Flickr

I had a custom hitch installed. I had a 48 quart cooler, grill, and plastic container with bread, chips and assorted food related items.
Old 06-11-17, 09:59 AM
jspringato
Driver

See my posting history re my hitch install.
Old 06-11-17, 11:22 AM
jspringato
Driver

Called Allstate, and they say OEM glass won't be a problem. Thaks for your help.
Old 06-11-17, 03:48 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

.....did anyone else have an issue seeing the pics ? I can't see them in the original post/reply #39......but when I hit "reply with quote", to say that I couldn't see them, I can see them in my reply response ????
Old 06-11-17, 07:11 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by texsexlex
.....did anyone else have an issue seeing the pics ? I can't see them in the original post/reply #39......but when I hit "reply with quote", to say that I couldn't see them, I can see them in my reply response ????
Yup, had the same problem and did the same thing, once I hit reply, they showed up in the reply. Very strange.
Old 06-11-17, 10:02 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by texsexlex
same problem here...I guess they are not posted to the clublexus website...posted to Flickr and that is causing an issue.
Old 06-12-17, 08:30 AM
socalturbo
Driver

I have farmers insurance with glass buyback option. went to lexus dealer last week and got a quote for $1,171.28 for glass, clips, rivets, and install. Insurance approved it with $100 deductible.

Quick Reply: Windshield Cracked