SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Getting New Wheels Issues!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-09, 04:07 PM
farkas
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Getting New Wheels Issues!!!!

OK....I know that this probably has been hashed out many times before but I have not been able to find what I need to make a good decision on wheel fitment on a SC430. The other models groups have threads of members showing off their wheels giving Offsets and sizes and pictures of how these actually look on the cars. I REALLY want to buy a nice set of wheels that fit the car the right way on the first and only try. If I invest in a sweet set of wheels, I want them to have the aggressive full wheel look without having to add a spacer after the fact because it is just not right. I love the looks of the20" rims but being in the East with our poor roads I think that 19" is probably the winner in the size decision. Maybe even 18" like stock. Anyways, can I get some volunteers to show off what they have? The times I think I understand offsets/widths , my head starts to hurt! I will start with showing you what I have done on my car with the stock OEM's with spacers!

Old 01-15-09, 07:21 PM
PHXSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm considering replacing rims myself, and looked at alot of the pics of what folks have done. Taste and the overall look you're trying to achieve with the car are subjective things, so to each his own.
I've decided a few things:
I want to retain the ride, so no larger than a 19" rim.
I'm not going to role fenders.
I'm not going to slam it.

So if you want to run fattys on the back, it is a good question how wide you can run, with 19's, assuming the factory offset of +45. Is max 345, 275?
Or figure it backwards, and determine that you can fit a 345 with say, a +30 offset?
Old 01-15-09, 10:01 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts

..hey there...I'm in the same boat !!! But what I have done,is go to the thread sc430 wheel fitment.It gives some good insights on off sets...with notes on whether it's an aggressive or conservative stance.Keeping this in mind,I've gone to the photo gallery and checked out some rides !!! Some of the guys have listed their off sets..the one's that don't have them listed,but I'm interested in...I leave them a pm asking.Most have given the info,without any problems.I haven't decided between 19's or 20's either...but if you have the run flats now...everyone here agrees,that no matter what size you put on...it will ride better without them !!! So good luck,in your search....I'm planning to do something in the next 30-45 day's..so we shall see
Old 01-16-09, 07:06 AM
farkas
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PHXSC
I'm considering replacing rims myself, and looked at alot of the pics of what folks have done. Taste and the overall look you're trying to achieve with the car are subjective things, so to each his own.
I've decided a few things:
I want to retain the ride, so no larger than a 19" rim.
I'm not going to role fenders.
I'm not going to slam it.

So if you want to run fattys on the back, it is a good question how wide you can run, with 19's, assuming the factory offset of +45. Is max 345, 275?
Or figure it backwards, and determine that you can fit a 345 with say, a +30 offset?
+1
Exactly what I am doing and faced with. We need to get our rides posted with their specs! The IS forum have like 1600+ Posts with pictures. Too bad the IS is no way like our SC's in wheel fitment.
Old 01-16-09, 08:07 AM
Stefwilli
Wheel Vendor

Well we can help you guys out with fitment issues and wheel concerns. Our PM boxes are always available and we can cover every thing from how the wheel will sit with the body to how much you'll pay for what you want.

Yes Farkas you are right in the 2IS forum there is alot more info but there is also alot more traffic there too, lol. We've done some setups on SC430's for a few guys on CL maybe they will chime in.

GammaLex:

Pearlpower:

Old 01-16-09, 08:25 AM
jimmer!
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

After lots of research and searching through the vast assortment of wheel designs I found two OEM 18" options from Dealerfit.com. They have two GS wheels that fit the SC430: a Spider design and a 10 spoke.
The price is very right, as well.
These 10 spoke alloys are low maintenance and add just the right look IMHO.
Attached Thumbnails Getting New Wheels Issues!!!!-430wheels3.jpg  
Old 01-16-09, 08:34 AM
FLYINGFUN
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread is spot on for some of my future thoughts as well. I have an 05 with brand new run flats and based on all the info here regarding wheels and tires (thanks to all the contributing members) upon needing tires when the RF’s wear out I was going to try to contact some members that have shown pictures and try to actually see the cars in person, so that I could make a really informed choice…just once!

I too do not want to have to mod fenders or anything else for that matter, but would like an aggressive look with maintaining good ride quality.

Thanks again for all the help.
Old 01-16-09, 10:07 AM
intdiamond
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The guys at D2 really know what they're talking about r.e. wheel applications, offsets, etc. They hit the nail on the head with me and other SC owners on CL My wheels fit exactly like they said they would and turned out just as I envisioned them. I dealt with Derrick and he was always there for me, down to the smallest questions, AND they're there for me now, months after I spent my money with them. The price I paid was pretty much in line with what I'd have paid if I had gone out blind and bought wheels 'off the shelf', guessing what offset to use. (No, I'm not affiliated with them in any way and don't get an envelope stuffed with cash from them for my props....) I would post pics but I currently have my snows mounted and it's -14 degrees outside right now....
Old 01-16-09, 11:00 AM
farkas
Lead Lap

This is exactly what we need to see but with the fitments!!!!!!!! Do you know what the fitments were that you sold to GammaLex and Pearlpower? I like GammaLex's Fitment but they are 20's I'm sure and most of the members that have chimed in are talking about 19's. I cannot tell if Pearlpowers wheels are 20's or 19's but the fitment is great too! The bottom picture LeeADye looks like 19's but what are the fitments? I have no doubt that the guys at D2 know their stuff, I have talked to both of them and have been VERY happy with their answers and help, but their term agressive and my term agressive may not be equal. GammaLex's car I would say is aggressive while Pearlpowers fitment is on the mark for a more conservative perfect fit. Now that I have said that.....There is probably not more than 10mm difference between the two and that is where we need to see lots of pictures to educate us on the fitments! Don't get me wrong, I love both these cars looks but there is a difference and that is why we need to compare and make an educated decision before we make a costly purchase on a set of our bling wheels!!!!
Old 01-16-09, 02:23 PM
FLYINGFUN
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by intdiamond
The guys at D2 really know what they're talking about r.e. wheel applications, offsets, etc. They hit the nail on the head with me and other SC owners on CL My wheels fit exactly like they said they would and turned out just as I envisioned them. I dealt with Derrick and he was always there for me, down to the smallest questions, AND they're there for me now, months after I spent my money with them. The price I paid was pretty much in line with what I'd have paid if I had gone out blind and bought wheels 'off the shelf', guessing what offset to use. (No, I'm not affiliated with them in any way and don't get an envelope stuffed with cash from them for my props....) I would post pics but I currently have my snows mounted and it's -14 degrees outside right now....
intdiamond, You are down Chicago way correct? Forgive my stupidity, I am new around here, can you tell me where D2 is and maybe a number or link. I would like to start my pursuit with them. Not feeling real bad about your temps though... I had 36 below at my house this am.

Thanks for any info.
Old 01-17-09, 05:17 AM
Stefwilli
Wheel Vendor

Originally Posted by farkas
This is exactly what we need to see but with the fitments!!!!!!!! Do you know what the fitments were that you sold to GammaLex and Pearlpower? I like GammaLex's Fitment but they are 20's I'm sure and most of the members that have chimed in are talking about 19's. I cannot tell if Pearlpowers wheels are 20's or 19's but the fitment is great too! The bottom picture LeeADye looks like 19's but what are the fitments? I have no doubt that the guys at D2 know their stuff, I have talked to both of them and have been VERY happy with their answers and help, but their term agressive and my term agressive may not be equal. GammaLex's car I would say is aggressive while Pearlpowers fitment is on the mark for a more conservative perfect fit. Now that I have said that.....There is probably not more than 10mm difference between the two and that is where we need to see lots of pictures to educate us on the fitments! Don't get me wrong, I love both these cars looks but there is a difference and that is why we need to compare and make an educated decision before we make a costly purchase on a set of our bling wheels!!!!
Well GammaLex which is on 20's car is not considered aggressive but flush fitment without needing fender mods. Those with aggressive fitment need to stretch tires and roll, shave, or pull fenders. As for Pearl Power which is on 19's, his setup is considered conservative fitment where the wheels fit the car but aren't exactly flush.

Pearl Power car is:
19x8.5 20et
19x9.5 20et
Old 01-17-09, 05:20 AM
Stefwilli
Wheel Vendor

Originally Posted by intdiamond
Thanks Bud, glad you were happy with your setup.
Old 01-17-09, 05:50 AM
farkas
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Stefwilli
Well GammaLex which is on 20's car is not considered aggressive but flush fitment without needing fender mods. Those with aggressive fitment need to stretch tires and roll, shave, or pull fenders. As for Pearl Power which is on 19's, his setup is considered conservative fitment where the wheels fit the car but aren't exactly flush.

Pearl Power car is:
19x8.5 20et
19x9.5 20et

Thank You Stefan!!!!!!! This is what I needed. Now if I was to come out just a tad without having to do any mods would it be better to upsize the width of the rims to like 9 and 10 to get more lip or just just change the offsets to like maybe 15-17? If you changed the width of the rims, doesn't that throw off the offsets too? I know that I am asking these questions but I am sure others are thinking the same thing and this is why I am doing this in public forum. It may help you in the long run with future Customers.
Old 01-17-09, 08:37 AM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts

...you are right,that other may have questions also...lol !!! I wanted to know the size and offset,to Gammalex....I like that setup.I want as much wheel and offset,without any mods to fenders,etc..,
Old 01-17-09, 09:29 AM
intdiamond
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYINGFUN
intdiamond, You are down Chicago way correct? Forgive my stupidity, I am new around here, can you tell me where D2 is and maybe a number or link. I would like to start my pursuit with them. Not feeling real bad about your temps though... I had 36 below at my house this am.

Thanks for any info.
Yep, I'm in Chicago. It's 19 degrees today; a friggin' HEATWAVE !!
www.d2autosport.com is their site address... they're in Wallingford, CT., 877-361-0296 - Phone. They're CL Vendors, in case you didn't notice...

All you have to do is tell them how you'd like your wheels to fit; flush, slightly under/over, etc. Keep in mind you need to factor-in other mods, like lowering and BBK.

Also, the wheel-fitment-sticky that Romini created was very helpful to me when I was trying to figure out my wheel choices.
Good Luck !!

Quick Reply: Getting New Wheels Issues!!!!