SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Opinion of drive without upgraded sway bars.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-09, 03:22 PM
Dan_K
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Opinion of drive without upgraded sway bars.

People, if you would like the boating feeling gone from this car, try and get a hold of some sway bars. I had the Daizens for a while and I forgot what a difference it made until I put the stock sway bars on. The "sure-footed" feeling was gone and I could not drive the car like I had the past couple of years. Freeway speeds got scary at times. I don't know of other companies that make sway bars but the Daizens had a great feel. In other words, get some upgraded sway bars!
Old 01-07-09, 04:16 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

haha thanks again Dan, I fixed the bolt I sheared and went to my exhaust guy, afterwards I took a little drive and WOW the car feels amazing! well worth every penny!!
Old 01-07-09, 06:14 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

I wont drive a day with out daizens

Buddy
Old 01-07-09, 06:34 PM
aquanuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

+1
Old 01-07-09, 06:49 PM
Jackalope
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please tell me something, and please understand, I'm not trying to insult anyone or diss anyone. I honestly don't understand. Please help me understand your motivation here.

Don't get me wrong, I love to go fast. You can see my Corvette below and it doesn't ride as well as my Lexus, it's not as quiet as my Lexus, it's not as well appointed as my Lexus....but it will kick my Lexus' *** all day long. When I feel the need...the need for speed, then I'm in the Corvette.

But all that loud, rough-riding, cheap interior gets old unless you're into full-boar boogie mode. That's why I got an SC 430. Still quick, but no sports car. Quiet, comfortable, luxurious inside; a real gem.

Why would you take something like that and try to turn it into a sports car? Why didn't you just buy a sports car in the first place? By the time you get a Lexus to the point that it can compete with real sports cars, you've destroyed what made it a Lexus...and it's still 3850 lbs to haul around. You'll never get it to the point that it can compete with a real sports car unless you destroy the Lexus and spend enough to have bought a new Porsche.

So help me understand the motivation for modifying an SC430 for better performance.
Old 01-07-09, 07:00 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Its all about making something your own Different then someone elses car even though there the same year, Most mods I have found to be slight improvements . Not talking about major changes no turbos no intake etc etc. Luxlink remote start and top and 1/4 window mod dvd player nav tool blitz throttle controller. Its mans nature to improve something its about the toy . I dont race mine i just enjoy working on it cleaning it driving it. Not much to understand here just having fun.

Buddy
Old 01-07-09, 07:40 PM
Dan_K
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexiss_sc430
haha thanks again Dan, I fixed the bolt I sheared and went to my exhaust guy, afterwards I took a little drive and WOW the car feels amazing! well worth every penny!!
Glad you like them. Thanks again for the help.
Old 01-07-09, 11:40 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

I personally do not like American cars, because I think most of them are built for straight inline power and have no other note worthy characteristics. I admire and give huge amounts of credit to BMW and Mercedes sport cars I would never own one due to their reliability issues. I personally cannot afford all of those other viable sport cars out there so here I am driving a SC430. Now if I had a good amount of disposable income I would not mind driving any vehicles made by the manufacturers above but at this point in my life I can’t afford throwing money away, and or having my car at the shop consistently.

I enjoy being able to drive a reliable vehicle that might not be the best looking, fastest, sportiest, ect ect car out there, but one thing I know is that its built well and can take years of my abuse.

once again this is my opinion and how I feel, sorry if I have offended anyone.
Old 01-08-09, 12:44 AM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I know what you mean.

I really like the way that some of the tastefully modded SCs look in this forum but at the same time, I may have to think twice if I had to sacrifice the comfort that the SC430 has to offer for mod bugs.

Even with the aftermarket wheels for my SC430, I've purposefully chosen to go with 18' ones in fear that larger rims may decrease the comfort ride of the car just so slightly. At most, I can probably imagine myself purchasing the 06+ taillights, intake and exhaust for my SC430. Otherwise, I'd love to keep the car as plush and smooth riding as it can be.

Don't get me wrong. I do love modding my cars. My BMW's been modded extensively but for my SC400 (Tein coilovers, larger rims, etc.) and CL (20' rims), even the slightest mod. would no doubt take away some of the ride comfort that engineers intended for the car to be when in stock form.

That being said, the motivation to modify a stock car, not just a SC430 is actually quite simple. Guys like having toys! Driving something that's a bit more individualistic has always been something that most of us feel passionate about in this forum.

Jon

Originally Posted by Jackalope
Please tell me something, and please understand, I'm not trying to insult anyone or diss anyone. I honestly don't understand. Please help me understand your motivation here.

Don't get me wrong, I love to go fast. You can see my Corvette below and it doesn't ride as well as my Lexus, it's not as quiet as my Lexus, it's not as well appointed as my Lexus....but it will kick my Lexus' *** all day long. When I feel the need...the need for speed, then I'm in the Corvette.

But all that loud, rough-riding, cheap interior gets old unless you're into full-boar boogie mode. That's why I got an SC 430. Still quick, but no sports car. Quiet, comfortable, luxurious inside; a real gem.

Why would you take something like that and try to turn it into a sports car? Why didn't you just buy a sports car in the first place? By the time you get a Lexus to the point that it can compete with real sports cars, you've destroyed what made it a Lexus...and it's still 3850 lbs to haul around. You'll never get it to the point that it can compete with a real sports car unless you destroy the Lexus and spend enough to have bought a new Porsche.

So help me understand the motivation for modifying an SC430 for better performance.
Old 01-08-09, 04:18 AM
CBG
Pole Position

The SC 430 not a sports car? I have driven SUVs for the past 20 years and this car is a whole lot more of a sports car than any other vehicle I have owned. Granted I have never owned a Vette so I can't compare but my SC 430 is alot more sporty of a ride than any other car I have ever owned except maybe my "76" Trans Am. Though I must say my Lexus is faster and quicker than my TA was and the TA was not a convertable LOL. So I think of my Lexus as a sports car.
Just my opinion.
Old 01-08-09, 06:53 AM
Jackalope
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mrblister
Its all about making something your own Different then someone elses car even though there the same year, Most mods I have found to be slight improvements . Not talking about major changes no turbos no intake etc etc. Luxlink remote start and top and 1/4 window mod dvd player nav tool blitz throttle controller. Its mans nature to improve something its about the toy . I dont race mine i just enjoy working on it cleaning it driving it. Not much to understand here just having fun.

Buddy
Individuality I can certainly understand, and your mods are enhancing the convenience and luxury features of an SC430. I'm more speaking of these radical performance mods than anything.
Old 01-08-09, 06:56 AM
Jackalope
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lexiss_sc430
I personally do not like American cars, because I think most of them are built for straight inline power and have no other note worthy characteristics. I admire and give huge amounts of credit to BMW and Mercedes sport cars I would never own one due to their reliability issues. I personally cannot afford all of those other viable sport cars out there so here I am driving a SC430. Now if I had a good amount of disposable income I would not mind driving any vehicles made by the manufacturers above but at this point in my life I can’t afford throwing money away, and or having my car at the shop consistently.

I enjoy being able to drive a reliable vehicle that might not be the best looking, fastest, sportiest, ect ect car out there, but one thing I know is that its built well and can take years of my abuse.

once again this is my opinion and how I feel, sorry if I have offended anyone.

Well you certainly haven't offended me...although I disagree with your opinions of modern American cars. They've gotten a lot better in the last decade. But I am still somewhat puzzled by your response. You could've easily gotten a Porsche Boxter, Cayman or Honda S2000 for what you spent on your SC430 and those offer a higher level of pure performance than an SC does.
Old 01-08-09, 07:01 AM
Jackalope
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CBG
The SC 430 not a sports car? I have driven SUVs for the past 20 years and this car is a whole lot more of a sports car than any other vehicle I have owned. Granted I have never owned a Vette so I can't compare but my SC 430 is alot more sporty of a ride than any other car I have ever owned except maybe my "76" Trans Am. Though I must say my Lexus is faster and quicker than my TA was and the TA was not a convertable LOL. So I think of my Lexus as a sports car.
Just my opinion.
Wellll, "sports car" is really in the eye of the beholder, but in my mind I think of it as a sportY car rather than a sports car. By definition, a "sports car" is one that you could, in a pinch, race competitively. That would be difficult to do in an SC430.

This isn't to say that they aren't fun to drive on a mountain road and what's really good is that they're also very nice to drive TO the mountain road.
Old 01-08-09, 07:06 AM
Jackalope
Pole Position

I think we're on the same page Jon. The mods you've described are pretty much what I'd do as well...along with the same limits. I'd be really curious to know what exhaust you end up with. I'd like to have a bit more growl, but nothing even remotely intrusive.

Jack

Originally Posted by Baby ///M3
I know what you mean.

I really like the way that some of the tastefully modded SCs look in this forum but at the same time, I may have to think twice if I had to sacrifice the comfort that the SC430 has to offer for mod bugs.

Even with the aftermarket wheels for my SC430, I've purposefully chosen to go with 18' ones in fear that larger rims may decrease the comfort ride of the car just so slightly. At most, I can probably imagine myself purchasing the 06+ taillights, intake and exhaust for my SC430. Otherwise, I'd love to keep the car as plush and smooth riding as it can be.

Don't get me wrong. I do love modding my cars. My BMW's been modded extensively but for my SC400 (Tein coilovers, larger rims, etc.) and CL (20' rims), even the slightest mod. would no doubt take away some of the ride comfort that engineers intended for the car to be when in stock form.

That being said, the motivation to modify a stock car, not just a SC430 is actually quite simple. Guys like having toys! Driving something that's a bit more individualistic has always been something that most of us feel passionate about in this forum.

Jon
Old 01-08-09, 08:20 AM
intdiamond
Lead Lap

My ride became more solid feeling and responsive with the addition of sways, coilovers and larger wheels/tires, AND more refined and comfortable; much better than stock. My point being that these mods don't necessarily detract from ride comfort while adding stability and higher performance capabilities.

Quick Reply: Opinion of drive without upgraded sway bars.