SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

unusual tread wear on run flats

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-02, 11:11 AM
fletch
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default unusual tread wear on run flats

I've read all the threads about harsh rides, bushing replacements, etc. I never experienced that -- mine felt quite smooth and quiet when I bought it in October. But I think I have a tire problem...

The ride has steadily become noiser and harsher since I bought it. My driving is mostly long distance highway trips at 70-75mph. I just passed 8000 miles, and the noise is now loud enough to draw negative comments from passengers.

I had an amateur mechanic friend drive it yesterday and he said it sounded and felt like a tire issue. After examining the treads, he showed me what seems to be unusual wear. I've seen wear due to misalignment before where one edge of the tread is more worn than the other -- but this is something entirely different.
If you run your hand along the tread, there are clear differences in "height" from one ridge to the next as you travel radially around the circumference. This is true for all 4 tires.

Is this unusual? Seems like tread wear should be radially "symmetric" -- variance in tread "height" should only be noticed as you run your hand perpendicularly across the width of the tread. I examined several other nearby cars out of curiosity, and all of their tires were smooth as I ran my hand around the circumference. Am I missing something? I wonder if the uneven tread surface is the cause of the noisy ride. That noise simply wasn't there when I drove it off the lot. Would appreciate any thoughts.
Old 02-27-02, 06:44 PM
WJSOLOMON
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: unusual tread wear on run flats

Originally posted by fletch:

"I've read all the threads about harsh rides, bushing replacements, etc. I never experienced that -- mine felt quite smooth and quiet when I bought it in October. But I think I have a tire problem..."

Sounds like a Selling / Servicing Dealer Issue. They may send you on down the line to the actual Tire Manufactur's Dealer for adjustment, but something is out of balence somewhere, if all four of the RF are showing the same tread wear pattern.

At approximately 50% of Lexus's estimated Tread Life, you have a valid reason for going after replacements for all four tires, before the noise and handling become any worse.

How often have you Rotated, Balenced, and Checked the Allignment of the four, over the past 8,000 miles?

Best of Luck in resolving this untimely delemna!