SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Have you seen the new 2010 SCs

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-08, 08:55 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Then tell me why Mercedes needs to have all of their SLK, CLK, SL convertibles ? and possibly a new E-class convertible too ...
SC and IS not in the same class at all. Lexus do not have enough convertible and coupes in their line-up . . .
Old 11-23-08, 08:55 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Ramrod
Doesn't it make more sense for Lexus to cancel the SC?
Not really. Lexus needs to be competitive.

Compared to BMW's 3-Series and 6-Series, and Mercedes' CLK-Class and CL-Class; Lexus needs a compact-sports convertible with a V6 (the ISx50c) and a grand-touring convertible with a V8 (the possible SC460).

Then to match the M-Series or AMG vehicles, the LF-A would be address the super-performance credibility that Toyota sorely needs.
Old 11-23-08, 08:56 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2010 huh good looks like if i start saving from now i might have enough for a down payment LL... Look nice cant wait to see some real pics
Old 11-24-08, 06:00 AM
tfischer

Received 191 Likes on 144 Posts

From what I have read over the past few years, one of the biggest problems MB has is its multitude of models. The customers and mechanics can't keep up, nor can the factories, and build quality has fallen off considerably, as has MB's reputation for reliability.
So rather than point to the fact that MB has 5 or 6 convertibles as something to be emulated, perhaps that fact is a problem which needs not to be copied.
I'm fine dealing with a company that makes fewer cars as well as possible; there are plenty of car companies out there that do just the opposite.
Old 11-24-08, 06:41 AM
kalvano
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lexus needs two convertibles, a mid-priced one around $45K and a full-on one priced around $75K.
Old 11-24-08, 07:05 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by tfischer
From what I have read over the past few years, one of the biggest problems MB has is its multitude of models. The customers and mechanics can't keep up, nor can the factories, and build quality has fallen off considerably, as has MB's reputation for reliability.
So rather than point to the fact that MB has 5 or 6 convertibles as something to be emulated, perhaps that fact is a problem which needs not to be copied.
I'm fine dealing with a company that makes fewer cars as well as possible; there are plenty of car companies out there that do just the opposite.
I agree MB has too many models, but OTOH, Lexus has too little, especially coupes(none right now) and convertibles(only one right now since the ISx50c is not out yet, & they should at least have both the ISc & the SC in their line-up), you don't want Lexus to go the other extreme.
Old 11-24-08, 12:59 PM
Car Ramrod
Driver School Candidate

From a volume standpoint, 6 Series, XLRs, CLKs & SCs are not exactly "flying off the shelf" these days. A large percentage of the demo who would normally be interested in this type of vehicle have large percentages of wealth tied to the US financial market. Convertible sports cars are not "functional" like a 4-door sedan and "toys" are the first vices to go when consumers anticipate a reduction in their disposable income. Furthermore, financing (how most of these vehicles are purchased) has become increasingly difficult to acquire, for both leasing or buying. V8's, even those made by Toyota/Lexus, are becoming viewed by consumers as excessive. Most consumers, especially those who survive paycheck to paycheck, are doing their best to minimize variable cost volatility. Although gas prices are $2.00 today, who really believes they will be the same next summer? The impact of this can minimized by buying more efficient vehicles. Lexus is known for maintaining resale values but the unloading of v8's when gas prices reached $4.00+ hurt everyone's resale. There are just too many of these vehicles in the used market right now (v8 vehicles in general).

As a consumer, I hope the rumor is accurate and a new SC is coming soon. I have no intentions of trading in my V8 for a more efficient vehicle. After all, this is a Lexus enthusiast forum focused on vehicle performance.
Old 11-24-08, 02:35 PM
RanGer498
Lead Lap

needs more lines i think
Old 11-28-08, 01:21 PM
dcgamer
Driver School Candidate

Infinity is also releasing their G37 convertible coupe (along with the non-convertible version) on '09, albeit targeting a diff consumer but still adding to the drop top premium cars competition.
Old 11-28-08, 01:58 PM
tfischer

Received 191 Likes on 144 Posts

"After all, this is a Lexus enthusiast forum focused on vehicle performance. "

Oh, I must have nodded off. When did we start being focused on performance? I like the old days when we discussed all aspects of the SC430, including design, maintainance, modifications for appearance and utility, tires, wheels, lights, cameras as well as action.
It was more fun then.
Old 11-28-08, 02:59 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Looks pretty good, although this is basically an LF-A derivative. I think for the SC market it would have to be a bit less severe, more rounded (but not as much perhaps as the SC 430). I'd like to see a non-convertible coupe as well.
Old 11-29-08, 11:17 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

I'd be happy just to see a new SC convertible, not putting much hope at all to see BOTH a new SC convertible & a regular coupe LOL, although I am all for it LOL ...
Old 11-30-08, 12:09 PM
playa3uhh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think this thing is ugly. Something doesn't look right, but I can't put my finger on it...It may be too aggressive looking, which I didn't think was possible. I personally love the current SCs. Maybe they should should design something similar looking to the present GS. Just my opinion
Old 12-12-08, 03:47 AM
corleone
Driver School Candidate

i dont like it either....just doesn't feel like an SC....I hope they dont make it like that....it will ruin the SC name
Old 12-12-08, 08:48 AM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Doesn't look like there's going to be an SC moving past 2010.

Toyota Cancels 2011 Lexus SC, Considers Ditching 2011 Avalon Too

http://jalopnik.com/398472/toyota-ca...011-avalon-too

Quick Reply: Have you seen the new 2010 SCs