Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

"Cloudy" Driver Side Rear-View Mirror

Old 11-18-08, 03:38 PM   #1
ZMonet
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Default "Cloudy" Driver Side Rear-View Mirror

I recently had my car inspected by Lexus for a state vehicle inspection (mandatory). This inspection came within a few days and just one trip of the inspection I had by the Lexus dealership in the state I bought the car from. At the first inspection, they didn't identify anything wrong with the vehicle. At the second inspection they said the driver side rear-view mirror was "cloudy" and needed to be replaced to pass inspection. They said it was covered under warranty so I didn't care too much. I get the bill today and again it is covered under warranty, but it was over $500 for just the mirror -- not the entire assembly. Is this really the price?

I know, I know, what should I care since I didn't have to pay, but it just seems wasteful. I can't tell the difference between this mirror and the "cloudy" mirror and I certainly think trying something like glass/mirror polish on the mirror before spending $500+ would be warranted.

What do you guys think?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
ZMonet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-08, 04:28 PM   #2
Habious

Would love to have seen "before" and "after" pictures of the "cloudy" mirror.

Edit: Any chance the inspector was looking at the mirror after dark and it was electrochromatically dimmed?
2003 Lexus SC430 - Black with Ecru interior. VaisTech & NavTool interfaces with Centrafuse CarPC integrated into factory navigation screen (includes hands-free Bluetooth, Voice Command, mp3 support, videos, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite radio, DVD playback, Internet access, and digital gauge cluster (via OBD-II))...LuxLink remote top/start module, and GlobalTop HUD unit.
My CarPC YouTube Video - - - - - - - - - - - - - NY Times Article
Habious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-08, 06:08 PM   #3
ZMonet
Driver School Candidate

It was at about 11 AM, so I don't think it was dimmed and one would hope that the Lexus dealer has an understanding of their own cars, but I'm not surprised by anything. Is $500 really the going rate for the mirror alone? I would think a mirror would cost you $50 tops even with Lexus markup. At first I thought they replaced the entire assembly, but nope, just the mirror piece itself.
ZMonet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-08, 09:57 AM   #4
OBP
Pole Position

i changed my passenger side mirror and that was about $500 (under warranty). They swap the whole assembly, not just the glass.
OBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-08, 09:57 AM

Tags
06, car, causing, cloudy, clowdy, driver, gs300, haze, hazy, is350, lexus, mirror, mirrors, rear, repairing, side, view