SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

2002 SC430 Project Car. Need Keys.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-08, 09:30 PM
tlinderw
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 SC430 Project Car. Need Keys.

My son and I purchased an '02 SC430 that has had a rough life. We've started working on it and one of the first issues we have is it came with no keys. After reading this forum it seems we may have a couple different options for getting keys.
1. Buy a new ECU with keys. Very expensive.
2. Buy a used ECU that has been erased and is waiting on new keys. Not sure how this works.
3. Remove my ECU and send it in to be programmed with a new set of keys.

Has anyone had a similiar problem? How do I get the key to be programmed to the ECU as well as unlock the car and fit the ignition? Do I buy a set of keys that are precut from my Vin number and then send the keys to one of these companies that reset the ECU to the new keys? What company is recommended?
Sorry about all the questions. I would have picked an older classic car to use as a project that wouldn't have had these key/security problems but my son had his heart set on one of these and they really do have nice lines.

Thanks for any help.
Old 10-15-08, 09:34 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

welcome to CL,

Have you tried going to the dealer?

I would say that your best bet is taking proof of ownership along with the vin number down to the local dealer and see if they can make a replica key for you. This is probably the most cost effective way to get around this problem, all other options would take much longer and require a lot more money.
Old 10-15-08, 09:54 PM
tlinderw
Driver School Candidate

Yes, went to the dealer and they wanted to sell me a new ECU and keys. Price was going to be upwards of $1000
Old 10-15-08, 10:50 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I remember seeing on the a lexus site, where you email them your vin, proof of ownership and some other stuff, and they'll make a key for you for like 100 or so? I dont exactly remember. Never heard of getting a ECU just for a key.
Old 10-16-08, 01:32 AM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tlinderw
Yes, went to the dealer and they wanted to sell me a new ECU and keys. Price was going to be upwards of $1000
Your best bet is calling around to a few dealerships and seeing what they can do; most dealers will try to rip you off like the one above, so you might get lucky and find a relatively cheap solution.
Old 10-16-08, 05:13 AM
KiPod
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexiss_sc430
... most dealers will try to rip you off like the one above, so you might get lucky and find a relatively cheap solution.
As long as you have the car registered in your name you can get the ECU for free from Lexus Customer Service. The Lexus Dealer will call them up and open a case. Lexus will need all your contact info with vehicle info and why you need the ECU. You will need to pay for the two new keys and the ECU install but that should all come out to around $500. So, $500 for 2 new keys and a new ECU isnt that bad.
Old 10-16-08, 05:32 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

I must be missing something on this thread. I wanted a new master key to serve as a spare. I emailed proof of ownership, the VIN and about a hundred bucks to Ohio Valley Locksmith (www.toy-lex.com). When it came, I followed a bunch of instructions involving opening the door numerous times and other stuff while the key was in the ignition and the key was programmed to start the car.
Old 10-16-08, 05:45 AM
KiPod
Lexus Test Driver

Thats because you had a master key already. He has NO KEYS.
Old 10-16-08, 06:32 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

See! I knew I must be missing something!
Old 10-16-08, 07:15 AM
tsc430
Driver School Candidate

hi, welcome to CL. Lexus has a program where they would give you a brand new ecu if you lost your keys but you have to buy 1 or 2 new keys depending on the dealership and pay for the labor (call around and check). I think it would cost you anywhere between 400-800 for the keys and new ecu. I had an older '98 gs400 that i sold to a guy without a key and he was able to get a local locksmith to make him a key and program it to the ecu for under $200 (if i knew that was possible i wouldn't have sold it that cheap). I'm pretty sure you can get a brand new ecu if you ask them at the dealership.

Last edited by tsc430; 10-16-08 at 07:55 AM.
Old 10-16-08, 11:01 AM
tlinderw
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the replies.

I've tried a few different lexus dealers within 50 miles of my house and the least expensive still wanted $1100 for the ECU and two keys including labor.

Someone mentioned on this forum in another thread that I could send in my ECU "somewhere" and they would cut keys to my VIN as well as program them to my ECU or wipe the ECU so it was ready to accept new key(s). I have not been able to find that thread again. Seems to me it was in the $300 range.
Old 10-17-08, 02:57 PM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Contact Darrel Diller of Sewell Lexus ( they are one of our vendors) See if he can help. I tink his direct # is (214)353-2826

I know you can get a master key for About $180 and you ned to send them proof of ownership.
You can programit your self. I still think you have to have a working master to even do this this is where Sewell mybe abe to help?
Here is some info that may help from one of their old sell post. see post #11

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...highlight=keys
Old 10-18-08, 12:06 PM
EddierRo
Driver

I went through a similar situation when my only set of sc430 keys were lost by an auto shipper. What a pain in the a$$. You will need a master and a valet key cut for you which can either be obtained from the stealer or a locksmith. The dealer can do this for you for a lot of $$$ or you can have a locksmith flash the ecu to accept the new keys for less. There are several locksmiths online that can perform this service for you. Good luck.

I found this one while performing a quick google search:
http://www.michaelhyde.com/product_p...eflash-svc.htm
Old 10-18-08, 01:23 PM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EddierRo
I went through a similar situation when my only set of sc430 keys were lost by an auto shipper. What a pain in the a$$. You will need a master and a valet key cut for you which can either be obtained from the stealer or a locksmith. The dealer can do this for you for a lot of $$$ or you can have a locksmith flash the ecu to accept the new keys for less. There are several locksmiths online that can perform this service for you. Good luck.

I found this one while performing a quick google search:
http://www.michaelhyde.com/product_p...eflash-svc.htm
Can he get a Master and valet key cut from Sewell Lexus then do the programming himself? Or does he need programing from dealer?
Old 10-19-08, 07:21 AM
KiPod
Lexus Test Driver

Actually now that Im thinking about it you will not need to swap out the ECU at all. On 01 and later models you just need to have a new master key and they can reset the code. They will pull the old code out of the ECU and reset the code to a new one then match up the key. It should only cost you about $300 for the key and the reset of the ECU. Now the towing bill is a different story.