SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

IS convertible vs SC430

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-08, 05:59 PM
NorCal430
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tfeni52355
The IS pictured here looks like a boring Volvo! If it weren't for the IS sticker on the front I thought I was looking at a C-70.
You took the words out of my mouth. Even the grill looks like a Volvo.

I have lots of options for a boring car. Even if I want one with a hardtop convertible.

No thanks, I'll pass on this one and I'm sure I won't be the only one.
Old 10-13-08, 06:12 PM
emoshun
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cherplex
SC430>IS250C..............hands down.
Old 06-11-09, 07:45 PM
Scott R
Pit Crew

Default IS convertible vs SC430

So I just got my '02 SC430 and today I get an email from Lexus informing me that the IS convertible is now available. At a starting price of $38,000 list, it would have been above the range of what I was looking to spend right now, anyway, but what does this mean long-term? Here we have another Lexus hard-top convertible with more rear seat-room, more luggage space, and possibly more sports-car-like handling, all at a lower cost than the SC430. Surely, the writing must be on the wall that the SC430 will get dropped by Lexus, unless they finally plan to give it a major make-over. But with the current economy, I'm betting that they decide to drop it altogether. Is there really enough of a market for a $66K+ car that stacks up unfavorably in some ways when compared to their very own $38K IS convertible?

Discontinuing the SC430 may not be bad for us current SC430 owners. That would mean that we'd all get to have a collectible and, even if you've got the oldest one (an '02 like me), you'll have a car that looks just like the newest model.

Having said all that, what do you current SC430 owners think about how the SC430 stacks up against this new IS convertible? Are you at all envious and/or attracted to it, or do you think the SC430 is the better car and, if so, what specifically still makes you proud to be an SC430 owner?
Old 06-11-09, 09:54 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i am ex-sc430 owner. the isc and sc430 are two cars in two different league. granted the sc430 is "old" and "outdated" to some (and indeed it's been on 8 yrs run), but it's simply a car a class above the isc. if i shop for sc430 today, isc wouldn't be in the picture at all.
Old 06-11-09, 09:55 PM
TooCoolSC
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Scott R
So I just got my '02 SC430 and today I get an email from Lexus informing me that the IS convertible is now available. At a starting price of $38,000 list, it would have been above the range of what I was looking to spend right now, anyway, but what does this mean long-term? Here we have another Lexus hard-top convertible with more rear seat-room, more luggage space, and possibly more sports-car-like handling, all at a lower cost than the SC430. Surely, the writing must be on the wall that the SC430 will get dropped by Lexus, unless they finally plan to give it a major make-over. But with the current economy, I'm betting that they decide to drop it altogether. Is there really enough of a market for a $66K+ car that stacks up unfavorably in some ways when compared to their very own $38K IS convertible?

Discontinuing the SC430 may not be bad for us current SC430 owners. That would mean that we'd all get to have a collectible and, even if you've got the oldest one (an '02 like me), you'll have a car that looks just like the newest model.

Having said all that, what do you current SC430 owners think about how the SC430 stacks up against this new IS convertible? Are you at all envious and/or attracted to it, or do you think the SC430 is the better car and, if so, what specifically still makes you proud to be an SC430 owner?
2009 is the last year of the SC430. This news came out quite awhile back.

Am I attracted to the IS convertible, in relation to an SC430? I can only speak for myself, but I doesn't do much for me. I don't think it compares at all with the SC430, but then, it's not supposed to. It's half the price and not in the same league as the SC.

Lexus is waiting to put out their SC comparable car in a few more years. At least that's what I've heard. No telling what it will cost, though. I also wonder what Obama's "green" regulations will do to what was originally planned for a future top 'o the line Lexus convertible.

I'm wondering what's going to become of "muscle cars" like Corvette's. Will they become extinct, or just be a joke of what they used to be? That goes for all other high performance cars, as I believe I read that it's going to be mandatory for every car to get mpg in the mid-30's in the next few years. Are we all going to be driving cars that nobody wants to combat the hoax of global warming? I might be driving my SC until I'm 90.

Last edited by TooCoolSC; 06-11-09 at 10:10 PM.
Old 06-11-09, 11:12 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just like how the GS and ES differ from one another, the IS-C and SC are worlds apart. They serve different populations, and the IS-C will attract more people than the SC430 due to functionality, price/value, and advanced technology.

Yes, the SC430 is very outdated. But that doesn't make it worthless. It still provides a certain kind of ride and luxury that is fast disappearing, as more luxury cars lean towards sport and performance.
Old 06-11-09, 11:19 PM
dcgamer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The ISc is a decent hardtop convertible, in my opinion looks better than the also new G37 convertible, but if compared to the SC430-- no contest. They are, as aforementioned, in different leagues. The Sc430 is a luxury grand tourer and seems to aim at a perfection image akin to SL-class Benz and Porsche - and it holds its own with an interior I've yet to see met by other luxury car makes. The ISc seems to be entry luxury and aims to be more sports and less of a high end luxury cruiser. Both are good options, and while the Sc430 is no longer in production for next year, I still think it is the better of the two.
Old 06-12-09, 05:08 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dcgamer
The ISc is a decent hardtop convertible, in my opinion looks better than the also new G37 convertible, but if compared to the SC430-- no contest. They are, as aforementioned, in different leagues. The Sc430 is a luxury grand tourer and seems to aim at a perfection image akin to SL-class Benz and Porsche - and it holds its own with an interior I've yet to see met by other luxury car makes. The ISc seems to be entry luxury and aims to be more sports and less of a high end luxury cruiser. Both are good options, and while the Sc430 is no longer in production for next year, I still think it is the better of the two.
Great point about the interior, no other car on the road comes close!! The ISc will never be in the same class as the SC. I'm 61, looks like I'll die with my SC, since OBAMA will no longer accept any performance engines as the earth allegedly warms.
Old 06-12-09, 07:50 AM
LexFather

IS-C is entry level. SC is Lexus pearl. IS has newer tech, SC older tech. IS is sportier but still a GT. SC is more luxury and more an old school GT. SC was designed from day one to be a hardtop convert. IS was not.

I like both.
Old 06-12-09, 08:06 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

I won't be trading my almost 7 year-old SC430 with 30k+ miles for a new IS350C even if they offer me an even trade(they won't, not even for the 250C LOL).
The SC430 is so beautifully built that I will probably keep it forever, even though the IS350C has newer tech and should drive a little sportier, & yes I still think the SC430 looks better than the IS350C and the G37 convertible(with the top up). And I agree they aren't even in the same class.
Old 06-12-09, 08:50 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 413 Likes on 362 Posts

I agree with all the responders so far. The SC430 has a classy and classic look that will be hard to beat. As I told my wife when we were searching for a convertible, when I sit in the SC430 and drive it, it makes me smile. None of the other cars did that. The IS is no exception. I love the look of the exterior of the SC430 and it remains unique in this automotive world of cars that all start blending together because there is so little differnce between them. The SC430 body is a gentle flowing work of art and is one that most folks will not forget once they see it. Almost everytime I reveal to someone that my car is an '02 (7 years old now), they are shocked because they think it is almost brand new. The shape will be timeless and I don't expect it to be "out of style", just like some of the older Porsches.

As to how it stacks up against the IS, quite frankly I don't care. My SC430 performs quite well and I enjoy the way it looks and feels (and performs).
Old 06-12-09, 10:01 AM
kloh7
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Current IS350 owner here and in my opinion, I agree with every post so far. If I were offered an SC430 as a straight trade for my car, I'd take it in a heartbeat. Given it might have less horses and less tech, in the end it's an SC and I agree it looks great.
Old 06-12-09, 10:22 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by kloh7
Current IS350 owner here and in my opinion, I agree with every post so far. If I were offered an SC430 as a straight trade for my car, I'd take it in a heartbeat. Given it might have less horses and less tech, in the end it's an SC and I agree it looks great.
That's what I did two months ago...
Old 06-12-09, 10:43 AM
Trexus
Forum Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

ISC is very similar to a 3 series convertible (entry level luxury sporty vehicle).

BMW has the 6 series, MB has the SL and Lexus has the SC 430. Hopefully Lexus will continue the SC. I'm assuming that the 3SC will be an L-finessed SC 460 with push button start, 4.6 liter V8 and all the goodies we expect from Lexus...
Old 06-12-09, 10:54 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

I prefer a SC500

and, if they make a SC-F, they need a V10 ...

Quick Reply: IS convertible vs SC430