60.00%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Corvette or sc430

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-08, 02:47 PM
SCRXOwner
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

C6 2006 or Younger but not 2005. I have owned both Corvette and SC430 and the Vette is my car of choice. But the little lady wanted a hard top convertible so SC430.

I have plans to find a slightly used 2008 CS Corvette convertible with all the goodies one day. I just hope its current owner is taking care of my next vette (owned 5 so far).

As it has been stated the SC430 and C6 Vette are different cars.
Old 08-03-08, 09:08 AM
EskieFan54
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Apples and Oranges

A Miata or an S2000, gimmie a break, although I think you would have more "FUN" in either of those 2 cars than an SC or a Vette. SC's aren't purely about performance, just perfection.

Let the flames begin
Old 08-03-08, 11:26 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EskieFan54
A Miata or an S2000, gimmie a break, although I think you would have more "FUN" in either of those 2 cars than an SC or a Vette. SC's aren't purely about performance, just perfection.

Let the flames begin
No, I'm the one that was expecting the flames, looking at your post count, never mind looks like you have been here longer than I .

We have had so many threads in the past about is the Sc430 a womans car, does a man drivig it look gay, metrosexual etc etc etc. .

Not meaning to go there again but lets just say if I wanted a convertible luxury car there are quite a few I would look at before the SC430, a Jag or a 6 series bmw jump imediately to mind.
Old 08-03-08, 05:28 PM
froggyluvr
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by morris
No, I'm the one that was expecting the flames, looking at your post count, never mind looks like you have been here longer than I .

We have had so many threads in the past about is the Sc430 a womans car, does a man drivig it look gay, metrosexual etc etc etc. .

Not meaning to go there again but lets just say if I wanted a convertible luxury car there are quite a few I would look at before the SC430, a Jag or a 6 series bmw jump imediately to mind.
If money were no object, there's lots of luxury convertibles I'd rather have but most of them are considerably more pricey and don't have the reputation for reliability the Lexus has. Of course, if I could afford an AMG Mercedes, I probably wouldn't be worried about the cost of repairs.

Although I've only had the SC430 for a month now, I've picked up on the perception that the SC430 is not a "man's car" but, I can't think of a better car to deliver the looks, the technology and the reliability, for the price of a slightly used and meticulously maintained SC430. One thing about driving a "ladie's car", a lot more women turn their heads to look when I'm in the Lexus than when I'm in my Corvette. If I were young and single...
Old 08-03-08, 06:18 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

I love both my SC430 & G35 coupe, but when I bought my LS460L, one of the main reasons I traded the G35 coupe instead of the SC430 is that the women prefer the SC430 , & I could have got significantly more in trade-in value with the SC430 too ...
Old 08-04-08, 08:30 AM
EskieFan54
Driver School Candidate

Default Woman's Car

I have to agree about the "Woman's Car" moniker, my wife had a black 03 with saddle int and I could handle that, now she has Twilight Amethyst Pearl with ivory so I have to take a purse when I drive it.
Old 08-04-08, 09:18 AM
PHXSC
Lead Lap

Default good question

My wife and I went through this exact decision process when we sold the Harley a few months ago. We had a '68 Vette that was a show car back in the '90's, and enjoyed that immensely. There were alot more car shows that were towards muscle cars.
We actually based our decision on reliability first, and the Vette's reputation (and reality) is dismal.
So,we'll give the SC a shot for a while, then move on to another toy when we're done playing with this one
Old 08-04-08, 09:28 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

There is certainly something to be said for reliabillity, I know how it is when you get to the point where your tired and just want to consistently turn the key and go.
Old 08-06-08, 10:10 AM
SexiRedLex
Driver School Candidate

Default Waoo!

All of this SC bashing is breaking my heart!

What's up with the women car stuff? Wherever I go, (up and down the east coast mainly) I usually see men over 40 driving this car. Where I live I have only seen one other female driving this car.

I get more comments about the car from men and the same rubber neck action the guys get from the girls.

I don't know, maybe gender plays a part in the attention and assumptions you get...
Old 08-06-08, 11:20 AM
NorCal430
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SexiRedLex
What's up with the women car stuff? Wherever I go, (up and down the east coast mainly) I usually see men over 40 driving this car. Where I live I have only seen one other female driving this car.
I think that the color of the car makes a great difference in the perception of male or female qualities. A black exterior matched with a black interior is going to look more male than Twilight Amethyst Pearl with Ecru.
Old 08-06-08, 11:39 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by icantsee
Corvette!!

No doubt!!

The best car to buy when it comes to Horsepower : Dollar ratio.
I was reading the skyline is better

only old men with hairy chest and unbuttoned shirts drive vettes (in FL)
Old 08-06-08, 11:44 AM
aquanuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tonydt1g3r
I was reading the skyline is better

Yep get a GT-R
Old 08-06-08, 12:29 PM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by tonydt1g3r
Agreed. You also need to wear some kind of medallion on a thick gold chain (I kid). It takes a certain kind of person to pull off a Vette...and I'm not that kind of person.

To me, it seems like an older man in an SC430 says "I've made it". An older man in a Vette says "Midlife crisis!" I know this isn't always the case; I'm just saying what it LOOKS like to others. Your car; your choice.

But, I will also agree that the Corvette wins the horsepower/dollar equation...every time. The SC430 just isn't that kind of car.

In this area (DC Metro), it's an even mix of men and women driving SC430's. One thing that does bug me though is, literally 9 times out of 10, when I see a woman driving one, she's got the top up. "HEY!...LADY!...It's PERFECT out; put the damn top down! If you're the kind of person that worries about messing up your hair, you bought the wrong car."

I keep a hairclip and a spare set of sunglasses in the glove box; just in case I have a passenger who isn't prepared for top-down cruising.

I also think another factor to consider is the life-in-the-real-world. If either car is going to be a weekend "toy" then that doesn't really matter. However, if you're planning on taking the car on weekend trips, good luck fitting a couple of overnight bags in a Vette soft-top.

You can fit a lot of stuff in the SC430 trunk if you don't put the top down. If you do want to put the top down, there's room for two medium-sized suitcases and then some behind the front seats (sit them upright; we've done it).

My boss has a convertible Vette. Nice. VERY yellow. But, his girlfriend has a little dog. There isn't room for him, her, and the dog; it's that tight.

There are a lot of people here (myself included) that use their SC430 as semi-practical everyday cars. I think there would be more compromises with the Vette but, I can't say for sure...never having owned one.
Old 08-06-08, 12:49 PM
RolxuSC400
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by froggyluvr
If money were no object, there's lots of luxury convertibles I'd rather have but most of them are considerably more pricey and don't have the reputation for reliability the Lexus has. Of course, if I could afford an AMG Mercedes, I probably wouldn't be worried about the cost of repairs.

Although I've only had the SC430 for a month now, I've picked up on the perception that the SC430 is not a "man's car" but, I can't think of a better car to deliver the looks, the technology and the reliability, for the price of a slightly used and meticulously maintained SC430. One thing about driving a "ladie's car", a lot more women turn their heads to look when I'm in the Lexus than when I'm in my Corvette. If I were young and single...

Yeah if money is no object...Rolls Royce Phantom Drophead FTW...
Old 08-06-08, 01:16 PM
froggyluvr
Driver School Candidate

"To me, it seems like an older man in an SC430 says "I've made it". An older man in a Vette says "Midlife crisis!" I know this isn't always the case; I'm just saying what it LOOKS like to others. Your car; your choice."

Ouch!!! I feel compelled to defend myself, hairy chest and all. The first car I ever really noticed was when I was 13. It was a '66 Corvette roadster. It was bright yellow. I was immediately hooked. A few years later, in '71, I went with some HS friends to the local Chevrolet dealership to look at the new Corvettes. There was one on the showroom floor, dark blue, as I recall. The sticker said $6800. I thought, "that's it, I'll never be able to afford one!"

Fast forward to 2004. After a succession of Celicas, Supras, an MG, a Formula Firebird, Taurus SHO, a twin turbo Z, I finally bought a Corvette. Admittedly, the 2 other gentlemen on the lot that day buying Corvettes were at least my age, 50-something. All of our shirts were buttoned. Perhaps interpreted as a mid-life crisis by some, including my wife, I prefer to think of it as the scratching of a life-long itch.

As for the SC430, I bought it for the same reason some people buy a Ferrari. To me it's automotive sculpture. I think it's just a great looking car and I have wanted one since they first came out a half dozen years ago. I'm less interested in how it corners and how fast it accelerates than I am with how it looks. I sometimes go out into the garage late at night just to admire it. There's something about the design that reminds me of the Chris-Craft boats from the '30, one of the most beautiful watercraft ever created.

PS -- I've always wanted a Jag E-type with the glassed-in headlights. The MG cured me of wanting any other British cars, however. Still, that model of Jag is one of the best looking cars ever created IMHO.

Quick Reply: Corvette or sc430