Old 07-19-08, 07:58 AM
Glock3540
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Exhaust Options

Hello All.
After months of research I do not know which exhaust system to
go with on the SC.
I was convinced to put the S&S headers and a Blitz cat back.
All of the problems with the S&S's cracking/leaking is disturbing.
I have not been able to find a manufacturer of headers except S&S.
I now am leaning toward a full custom exhaust done locally at a muffler
shop using either Borla or similar mufflers, the stock cats, maybe an "X-pipe" and the stock manifolds. I'm not really sure how much hp/tq I will
gain but I really like the slightly subdued american v-8 exhaust sound the
Borlas or the Blitz mufflers provide.
One of the main reasons for going with Lexus rather than Mercedes SL or the Jag XKR, is the RELIABILITY of the SC.
All of the modifications that I want to do hopefully will not affect the reliability (Injen intake, GS430 wheels with NON Runflat tires, Swaizen sway bars, a new Limt Slip Supra differrential, and a modified exhaust. I'm staying with factory Lexus 18 x 8 wheels and the factory sized 245 tires because I like rotating my tires for treadwear longevity)
Again, the only Problem with my plan of reliability is the S&S Headers!
I see where PearlPower and everyone else has had good gains with the headers but, again, reliability problems.
What kind or hp/tq increase can I expect if I leave the factory (reliable) exhaust manifolds on it and modify the rest of the exhaust?
Also, I have not checked, but do "muffler" shops also have and bend Stainless Pipe? I don't mind paying extra or the trouble of modifying/personalizing my cars but I ABSOLUTELY HATE when something I had modified gives me problems.
I love the SC and except for a few quibbles (no push button start, still has a cassette player, Stero faceplate looks dated, Slightly underpowered,etc) it is one of the most attractive cars on the road.
Please help me with my dilemma.

Thanks In Advance For Any Advice,
Brian
Old 07-19-08, 08:13 AM
intdiamond
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had my S&S headers and Blitz exhaust (stock manifolds) for 2 yrs w/absolutely no issues. The sound is very mellow when cruising around but changes to a deep growl when I hit the gas. I don't know how much hp/torque gain the headers and exhaust have added, but it's definitely noticeable. Others on this forum have custom exhaust setups and enjoy them just as much; I'm sure many will chime in with their opinions... good luck with your mods and welcome to CL.

Last edited by intdiamond; 07-19-08 at 08:15 AM. Reason: added more info...