SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC430 Spare tire Kit substitute!!!!

Old 03-12-10, 10:19 AM
coach1
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I honestly like the looks of the RX8 spare and it's cover better. There is an easy adjustment/solution for the carpet and tool compartment cover. IMO only
Old 03-12-10, 11:09 AM
abbeyrd
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by coach1
i honestly like the looks of the rx8 spare and it's cover better. There is an easy adjustment/solution for the carpet and tool compartment cover. Imo only
i like the look too. I can't find it at the moment so i opted for the combination below.
Old 03-14-10, 01:04 PM
JerryB
Pole Position

Hi Solman,

I just registered for this forum ( just found out about it this week ), so if I do something wrong or stupid, try to bear with me.

Solman, I am like you and would like to keep the car stock. Can you provide any info on just where you bought the kit?

Thanks,

Jerry Baumchen
Beaverton, OR
Old 03-14-10, 05:47 PM
Solman
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought the complete kit from sewellpartsonline back in sept 09. Cost with CL discount was 608.96 + $54 for shipping. I couldn't find it on their website so you might need to call. When I checked with my local dealer they wanted$1100 for the exact same thing that I paid 600+. I would have found another way if I couldnt get it for $600-I am very happy with that price. Good luck
Old 03-15-10, 12:24 AM
TooCoolSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JerryB
Hi Solman,

I just registered for this forum ( just found out about it this week ), so if I do something wrong or stupid, try to bear with me.

Solman, I am like you and would like to keep the car stock. Can you provide any info on just where you bought the kit?

Thanks,

Jerry Baumchen
Beaverton, OR
As a CL member, when you buy from www.sewellpartsonline.com, you get a 10% discount on anything you order.

Here's the link to the spare tire kit. It's regularly $729.00, so with the 10% discount, you save $72.90, for a price of $656.10. Not bad for doing nothing.

http://www.sewellpartsonline.com/par...l.asp?id=87769

Just enter the promo code of CL911M in the box after you order to get the discount.
Old 03-15-10, 01:14 PM
farkas
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lonfrank
????????????? to 2cool?? over 600 bucks for a spare @ sewell???!!
guess you must work for 'em!!??? lf
That is exactly why this thread has been created! I believe in doing things right but to pay $1100/$600 for a spare? I do not have that much money to spend. I would rather spend it on another mod and do my substitute. But to each his own!
Old 03-15-10, 01:45 PM
TooCoolSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lonfrank
????????????? to 2cool?? over 600 bucks for a spare @ sewell???!!
guess you must work for 'em!!??? lf
Did I advocate buying it, or was I responding to someone else that was interested in purchasing it? Perhaps if you read the exchange again, you can figure out the gist of the conversation.

The $729.00 Sewell Lexus charges is for the entire spare tire kit, which includes all the mounting hardware and cover. It is not just for the price of the spare. If someone wants to pay that, it's their choice. No doubt, it's the top of the line way to go and it looks great.

It's not the business of anyone here to decide how someone should spend their money. If someone asks about the spare options, I'll give them the options, if I know them.
Old 03-26-10, 01:29 PM
abbeyrd
Pole Position

I am having the T145/70 17 Goodyear spare installed on the 98 Supra TT spare wheel today. Hope I did right and that it all fits on my SC 430.
Old 03-26-10, 03:13 PM
JerryB
Pole Position

Hello,

I just posted this in the TPMS thread; sorry if cross-posting is bad form, I'm new here:

Going w/o a spare tire

I have been doing some checking into options if I go without a spare tire.

There are kits that include the sealant & a compressor at:

www.slime.com

And another option is the kit for a '04 BMW Z-4 which includes a can of sealant and a very compact air compressor. Your local BMW dealer will have this kit for ~$152 and the part # is: 71 10 0 413 439

This is just to provide some of you some information if going w/o a spare tire is something that you might consider.

Jerry Baumchen
Old 03-26-10, 06:13 PM
JerryB
Pole Position

Hello again,

I'm learning as I go along.

Apparently this is called a BMW Mobility Kit as can be found on eBay Motors here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-t...item35a7ce437d

$125 + shipping.

Hope this helps for those who might be interested,

Jerry Baumchen
Old 03-27-10, 07:02 AM
farkas
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryB
Hello,

I just posted this in the TPMS thread; sorry if cross-posting is bad form, I'm new here:

Going w/o a spare tire

I have been doing some checking into options if I go without a spare tire.

There are kits that include the sealant & a compressor at:

www.slime.com

And another option is the kit for a '04 BMW Z-4 which includes a can of sealant and a very compact air compressor. Your local BMW dealer will have this kit for ~$152 and the part # is: 71 10 0 413 439

This is just to provide some of you some information if going w/o a spare tire is something that you might consider.

Jerry Baumchen
Well if you put this stuff in your wheel and then you take your car to a tire place, be prepared to pay more for your repair as most places upcharge wheels that have had this stuff/I am being nice,in their wheels. It will only help you with a small puncture which rarely happens.To each his own but I this stuff.
Old 03-27-10, 07:53 PM
JerryB
Pole Position

Hi farkas,

From everything that I have learned, you are absolutely correct. These products do leave a 'coating' on the inner surface of the wheel & tire.

My only goal was to provide additional info for those who might be interested.

I am a firm believer that with enough information we can be informed consumers. I am also a firm believer that this is the purpose of forums of this nature.

As of now, I am leaning towards the BMW Mobility Kit & going w/o a spare. I accept that there is a risk in doing so; but, hey life is a risk.

Jerry Baumchen
Old 03-28-10, 01:49 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 408 Likes on 358 Posts

There are several folks that just pack a plug repair kit (< $10) and an electric pump (< $50) and hope for the best. If you use the wrong tire sealant goo, you will ruin your TPS and those are not cheap!
Old 04-01-10, 10:44 AM
abbeyrd
Pole Position

Tried the Goodyear T145/70R17 spare (ordered from Tire Rack) on the 98 Supra TT rim (order from Toyota parts bin) on my Sc 430 today while the tires were being changed (installed Michelin PS A/S Plus)and it fits great. Will take it with me on long trips.
Thanks guys.
Old 06-11-11, 11:54 AM
napra
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Solman
Sorry, folks, I decided not to skimp. Paid $630 for the kit from the dealer which included everything.
Solman: Great Pics! What dealer did you get your kit from? My local dealer wants $1500 but I know Sewell is around $750. Thanks, Greg

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SC430 Spare tire Kit substitute!!!!