SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

center console lid stuck

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-08, 01:12 PM
ratha67
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow center console lid stuck

My center console lid is stuck (The driver's right arm rest). The upper compartment will not open. Only the lower deeper compartment with the pull up latch will open. I can't get the long horizontal button to push in. Am I missing something here? Anyone know how to get it to open. I tried taking it apart, but even with all the screws off, the latch being stuck makes it impossible to open.
Old 07-15-08, 01:22 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you try to push the button do you feel any resistance? maybe the mechanism/spring broke inside the button. Would you be able to wedge a small screw driver in there and pry it open?
Old 07-15-08, 03:31 PM
ratha67
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lexiss_sc430
When you try to push the button do you feel any resistance? maybe the mechanism/spring broke inside the button. Would you be able to wedge a small screw driver in there and pry it open?
when I try to push the button, it doesn't budge at all...its pretty jammed. I tried poking a small screwdriver in there to try to pry at it or at least move it in any direction...Can't get it to go.

Can someone take a look at how that top latch hooks on to give me a hint on how I could approach getting the latch to release. I have about a 1/4 inch gap to work with...But I have no clue what the latching mechanism looks like. I tried pushing at the plastic piece that I could see through that gap, but its not moving. Am I supposed to pull at it? push it left? push it right? or is that a stationary object that a different moving part latches onto?

I appreciate any help. Thanks.
Old 10-03-22, 11:01 AM
clive1959
1st Gear

Default Centre console won't open

Originally Posted by ratha67
My center console lid is stuck (The driver's right arm rest). The upper compartment will not open. Only the lower deeper compartment with the pull up latch will open. I can't get the long horizontal button to push in. Am I missing something here? Anyone know how to get it to open. I tried taking it apart, but even with all the screws off, the latch being stuck makes it impossible to open.
I've had same problem twice first time a foreign object had got into the catch but the second it was just locked I'd tried the key but it wouldn't turn I have 3 keys but only one will lock and unlock the console so make sure you try both keys
Old 10-04-22, 11:24 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 543 Likes on 413 Posts

Originally Posted by ratha67
when I try to push the button, it doesn't budge at all...its pretty jammed. I tried poking a small screwdriver in there to try to pry at it or at least move it in any direction...Can't get it to go.

Can someone take a look at how that top latch hooks on to give me a hint on how I could approach getting the latch to release. I have about a 1/4 inch gap to work with...But I have no clue what the latching mechanism looks like. I tried pushing at the plastic piece that I could see through that gap, but its not moving. Am I supposed to pull at it? push it left? push it right? or is that a stationary object that a different moving part latches onto?

I appreciate any help. Thanks.
It’s probably locked. Did you try the key?
Old 10-05-22, 10:37 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 458 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by clive1959
I've had same problem twice first time a foreign object had got into the catch but the second it was just locked I'd tried the key but it wouldn't turn I have 3 keys but only one will lock and unlock the console so make sure you try both keys
The Center Console lock is designed so valet's can't steal your stuff. It will only open with a Full Feature Key. This is the same with the Glove Compartment.

If you only have a valet key, then you can get a full feature key cut from it. There is a physical difference between a valet key and a full feature key, but the grooves are the same