SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

I did a knuckle head thing.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-08, 12:51 PM
golfxx
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I did a knuckle head thing.

I was sitting in a parking lot in my 03 SC at a furniture store. It looked like a storm was coming in so I thought I should put the top up in case it rained while my wife and I were in the store. The engine was still running when I started to put the top up. The first thing I thought about was it takes 20 seconds or so for the top to close and the engine is running wasting gas at $4.30 a gallon. While the top was in the process of closing with my left hand I turned off the engine thinking the top would continue to close. As soon as I turned off the engine the top stopped closing (it was about half way open/closed). I started the engine again to continue to close the top. NO RESPONSE FROM THE TOP. The red light on the open close button for the top was on and the top would not move either way. I turned the engine off and on several more times each time trying to close the top. About the fourth time of turning the engine off and on the top would not close however it did open completely. Once completely open I turned off the engine and restarted it. At that time the top would open and close correctly. I GOT LUCKY. Talk about a sick feeling. I could not drive the car with the top halfway open/closed and a storm was coming in with the top half way open. Next time I will forget about wasting the nickel of gas and close the top with the engine running without interruption. I have read that you should not stop the top when opening or closing is activated. Now I have first hand experience with a malfunction when open/close is interrupted. Anyone else ever interrupt the open/closing of the top and have any problems?
Old 06-20-08, 01:10 PM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Wow, yeah, that could have ended very badly.

First off, there's a single-page instruction sheet (a TSB from Lexus) on how to manually raise/lower the top in an emergency. And before someone chimes in with "RTFM", this is different than the steps outlined in the owner's manual (which require 2 people and 45 minutes of free time). I did a search a couple of different ways but, I can't find it. Someone scanned it and posted it here as a PDF a long time ago. I printed it out and stuck it in my owner's manual book in the glove box...just in case. I know it's here, just can't find it.

Second, if you get/have a LuxLink module, you can avoid this problem. I have to say, the LuxLink system makes the car/top work exactly as it should have from the factory. When you double-click to close the top, you can then remove the key from the ignition (the LuxLink module will "hold" the ignition on until the process is complete). Makes it hard to screw up.

In the manual it talks about NEVER hitting the trunk release button while the top is doing it's thing, because it will stop the sequence and you have to do the manual thing to get things back together. My thought, upon reading this is, if it's critical to not open the trunk while the top is in motion, shouldn't the trunk releases be LOCKED OUT while the top is in motion so you can't screw it up?!?!?

That was my long-winded way of saying that it sounds like you got very lucky.
Old 06-20-08, 01:26 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Habious
First off, there's a single-page instruction sheet (a TSB from Lexus) on how to manually raise/lower the top in an emergency. And before someone chimes in with "RTFM", this is different than the steps outlined in the owner's manual (which require 2 people and 45 minutes of free time). I did a search a couple of different ways but, I can't find it. Someone scanned it and posted it here as a PDF a long time ago. I printed it out and stuck it in my owner's manual book in the glove box...just in case.
I did some searching also and couldn't find the PDF either. Even so, many of the old links are broken.

As a professional worrier, I'd love the piece of mind of knowing how to raise/lower the top in an emergency. Any chance you could post it for everyone (or fax it to me! )
Old 06-20-08, 01:40 PM
Habious

Ahh...persistence!!! (and the fact that it's in the FAQ!!!)

Top Down Mistake Fix.pdf

I think everyone should carry a copy of this in their glove box.
The following 2 users liked this post by Habious:
JTho (05-14-22), SC430Dad (11-25-22)
Old 06-20-08, 02:43 PM
PHXSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Habious. Printer is cranking while I type this!
Old 06-21-08, 07:27 AM
golfxx
Rookie

I also thank Habious. I will print it out and it will be in my glove box JUST IN CASE. Does the LuxLink do other things besides the top control and how much is it installed?
Old 06-21-08, 01:00 PM
Habious

golfxx,

It lets you remotely operate the top (open or close it) from the factory key fob. You can also remotely start the car from the factory key fob.

You can also order it with an optional module that lets you have independent control of the rear quarter windows so, you could lower all 4 windows with the top still up or raise all 4 when the top is down. I didn't get the window module when I had my LuxLink done and now I have a little bit of regret. I've discovered that it would sometimes be nice to have this option.

The Luxlink itself is $350, plus shipping. I don't see pricing on their website for the rear window module, may have to call them. Installation varies with your area and who you can find/trust to do it. Some guys here have done it themselves. I think most folks paid between $100-$200 for the installation.

I think, because it's limited by the range of the factory key fob, the remote start is a bit of a waste (but kind of cool sometimes). Being able to start the top going down while walking up to the car is great, and having the one-touch open/close with the button inside the car is an absolute MUST!

Here's the link to their website - Luxury Motor Works
Old 06-01-12, 07:00 AM
barncat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Habious
Ahh...persistence!!! (and the fact that it's in the FAQ!!!)

Top Down Mistake Fix.pdf

I think everyone should carry a copy of this in their glove box.

This above info should be posted again and printed out for all the new SC430 owners out there. How to close the top manually when trunk lid switch is pulled by mistake.
Old 06-02-12, 05:04 AM
KBALL
Pole Position

I got a story that ended weirdly, not badly. I was holding the roof button to lower the top when i was being introduced to a guy standing at my drivers door. He stuck out his hand to shake, i'm still holding the button and say its gonna have to wait just a second until the roof completes its cycle. The douche wouldn't put his hand back out once the roof was down. Don't even recall his name. *****.
Old 06-02-12, 11:34 AM
jzwu
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your roof is definitely more important than a no name douche. :-)

I wouldn't give a ***** about that.
Old 06-03-12, 08:00 PM
Rookie

OMG!!!!!!
Old 06-04-12, 07:09 AM
tfischer

Received 191 Likes on 144 Posts

Let's look at your original thought: "The first thing I thought about was it takes 20 seconds or so for the top to close and the engine is running wasting gas at $4.30 a gallon."
First, the engine is not "wasting gas" when the top is in operation, because it is powering the top and preventing a big drain on the battery that could be disastrous. The remote operated top mentioned above is fun, but operating the top while the engine is not running is asking for trouble.
Secondly, apply some basic math to your thought about the price of gas: at 60 mph, you get at least 20 mpg, which is one mile per minute, so at that speed, you will consume 1/20 of a gallon, which cost you 20 cents; the top takes 22 seconds, so let's call it 20 so we can do the math in our head - 20 seconds is one third of a minute, so 20 seconds of engine operation at 60 mph costs about 7 cents. That 7 cent number is very high because the engine will use gas at a much lower rate at rest than it does hauling two tons of steel down the highway at 60 mph. At the most, let's call it a nickle. (It's probably less than half that.) So 5 cents is what you would have saved by shutting off the engine for 22 seconds. In your case, of course, you used up much more in your several restarts. If a nickle is that dear, then you should not be driving a $60,000.00 luxury convertible. I say think things through, have another beer, and relax a little.
Relaxing is why the top goes down in the first place.
I'll hang up now and let the math majors correct my work.
Old 06-04-12, 08:23 AM
tfischer

With respect to your last question: I often stop the top with the top in a vertical position (a position of equilibrium) to clean the inside of the back window and to apply some 303 to the gaskets, but always with the engine running the whole time (this could be costing me upwards of $0.03); after my little cleanup tasks are complete, the top will always move correctly in either direction. My understanding is that there is a computer, clearly smarter than us, which keeps track of the top and its components while it is moving. Shutting off the engine while the top is moving is something that never occurred to me, and, as we now know, is not recommended.
Old 06-05-12, 11:06 AM
mydakrri
Driver

Originally Posted by tfischer
With respect to your last question: I often stop the top with the top in a vertical position (a position of equilibrium) to clean the inside of the back window and to apply some 303 to the gaskets, but always with the engine running the whole time (this could be costing me upwards of $0.03); after my little cleanup tasks are complete, the top will always move correctly in either direction. My understanding is that there is a computer, clearly smarter than us, which keeps track of the top and its components while it is moving. Shutting off the engine while the top is moving is something that never occurred to me, and, as we now know, is not recommended.
Hi tfischer, you put 303 on the gaskets; do you also apply grease/oil to any of the moving parts??

Thanks
Old 06-05-12, 11:26 AM
tfischer

You bet! I put a little white lithium grease on the moving parts. I use a spray can (because I use this on my garage door), but it's a mess to spray on such small spots, so I squirt a little into the top and use a Q-tip to apply it to the hinges and levers where they move against each other. My understanding is that WLG is preferred for this kind of an application because it does not run and drip. I gather it's pretty slippery.

Quick Reply: I did a knuckle head thing.