SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC430 Common Problems, if any?!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-08, 11:45 PM
SOARERSC
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC430 Common Problems, if any?!?

looking to purchase a 04 SC430 with 50k miles, wondering if there is anything i should pay extra attention to? im a little new to the car and havent spent too much time lurking on the forum, any information will be highly recommended. thanks guys!!
Old 05-26-08, 12:41 AM
intdiamond
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't opt for the RFT tires; they ride horribly.
Old 05-26-08, 08:39 AM
Tensi
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

brake clunk.
Old 05-26-08, 09:13 AM
aquanuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

brake clunk ??
Old 05-26-08, 09:18 AM
SOARERSC
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

::shrugs::

dont know?
Old 05-26-08, 12:03 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

The CD changer is the most failed item on the car.

A few other notes:

The brakes are also exceptionally weak. Consider upgrading them.

The suspension is super soft so if you are used to a sports car you might want to stiffen them up a bit.

Get rid of the runflats and have good roadside assistance coverage.
Old 05-26-08, 12:28 PM
KiPod
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Check the CD changer & Trunk Supports.
Old 05-27-08, 05:40 PM
Rustito
Pole Position

Jan 08 I got a 2004 SC430 PB Edition with 25,000 miles. Got from Lexus Dealer with per-owned certification (but original owner was member of this forum). I hadn't heard about CD changer issues but was interested in reading this on this thread. Mine is fine so would be interested in what others have to say about this. Sound system is great.

I love the car - it is near perfect for me but here is the stuff I have dealt with - most very minor except possible #1 (no deal breakers):

1. Small water leak into trunk on drivers side in one spot. Last week had checked and they re-allined a drain tube and cleared debris from seals. See my post on this forum. Will be updating to see if it happens again.

2. Slight streaks on both side windows. Dealer fixed but still small one on passanger side.

3. Steering wheel didn't do this when I first brought it home but after about 2 mos. started squeaking with retracted. Dealer fixed - did it again once since so I just moved the adjustment and seems OK.

4. Have light Ecru interior worried about carpets getting dirty. Got Exacta mats recommended on forum - hardly can see them since they are clear and relieved anxiety about dirt!!

5. Cupholder is totally useless - so watch out if you try to use it - stuff dumps out onto the floor unless fluid is only at bottom of container.

6. Wish car reminded me if I forget to turn off headlights!

7. Watch out for addiction - you will become addicted to this car!! It is so much fun.

Rustito
Old 05-27-08, 05:44 PM
Rustito
Pole Position

Oh - ditch the flatruns ASAP - world of difference without them. Get Lexus pre-owned certified with new warranty - it has roadside assist. like AAA. As per another comment - I enjoy the "soft" suspension - great ride!
Rustito
Old 05-27-08, 05:54 PM
aquanuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Rustito
6. Wish car reminded me if I forget to turn off headlights!
On mine if I take the key out ignition and then open a door the headlights turn off.

Is yours set to do that, if its helpful just ask dealer to turn that setting on.. suits me fine
Old 05-27-08, 05:58 PM
aquanuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Rustito
I hadn't heard about CD changer issues but was interested in reading this on this thread. Mine is fine so would be interested in what others have to say about this
Im pretty sure the biggest CD changer issue is with CD-R's and the paper stick on labels. They get stuck in the changer, heat inside lifts the label causing it to jam up.

I always just written on the CD with a permanent marker myself.
Old 05-27-08, 05:59 PM
norman52
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by aquanuke
On mine if I take the key out ignition and then open a door the headlights turn off.

Is yours set to do that, if its helpful just ask dealer to turn that setting on.. suits me fine
Is there a list somewhere of these special settings we can ask the dealer to do?
I would hate to take the car in for just one thing like that. I'd like to give him a list.
Old 05-27-08, 06:01 PM
Rustito
Pole Position

I have an "auto" setting on the lights where then turn on automatically when it gets dark and then turn off as soon as you turn off the car. Problem is I didn't like that mode because lights weren't going on in the rain and other times I wanted lights on and it wasn't totally dark - I was obsessing about whether or not lights had turned themselves on. The good part is that they turned off automatically but I chose to set the dial to manual vs. auto so I could control. Since then I have left lights on several times. My other car dings if you open the door and lights are on!!

Is there another setting they can do that allows you to control on and off of headlights but turns off automatically when you exit the car?? Maybe we should start a new thread!!
Rustito
Old 05-27-08, 06:03 PM
norman52
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by aquanuke
Im pretty sure the biggest CD changer issue is with CD-R's and the paper stick on labels. They get stuck in the changer, heat inside lifts the label causing it to jam up.

I always just written on the CD with a permanent marker myself.
I just went and bought a light scribe burner and now no more label problems.
Old 05-27-08, 06:51 PM
aquanuke
Lexus Test Driver

I dont like the auto light feature either the weather here is up and down, so gets abit cloudy lights kick in. We do the flashing of the lights alot here like ie for saying thanks when someone gives way so I dont like my lights just coming on and off at weird times.

All the C-BEST settings can be found here.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=23510

Quick Reply: SC430 Common Problems, if any?!?