SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Driving School w/ SC430?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-02, 08:51 AM
LexusFamily
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving School w/ SC430?

Has anyone thought about/been to driving school with his/her SC430? I used to go to driving schools in the past with my 5-spd turbo Miata until I sold it and replaced it with my SC430. However, I'm just not sure how well the automatic will be to control.

I've got a lot of nearby tracks, e.g., VIR, Kershaw, etc.

Thanks...
Attached Thumbnails Driving School w/ SC430?-pc270009b.jpg  
Old 02-09-02, 10:35 AM
TOPLEXS
Driver

Talking

You mean like this.
Car is way to quiet to enjoy at track. Brakes are fantastic, well modulated, with cooling vents in grill. Automatic's seamless shifting, combined with no auditory clues coming through helmet mutes fun factor, but car handles exceptionally well on track. Embarrased quite a few youths in hondas and bmws. Tried to run with the Vipers, but that was like taking a knife to a gun fight.
Car is extremely trackable. Stability control kept the car in line, but brakes got quite a workout in the esses.
Overall impression is that while the car is quick on the track, it's quiet nature made it less fun than other sports cars.
The run flats squeel like little piggys.
Attached Thumbnails Driving School w/ SC430?-lexus.jpg  
Old 02-09-02, 11:36 AM
LexusFamily
Driver School Candidate

Default Auto Shifting during Track?

TOPLEXS,

Yes! That is an extremely cool photo. Thanks for the info. How did you control the auto? Did you leave it in Drive? Or did you try to get a little better control by using the 4/3/2/L selections?

Finally, did what tire pressures did you use going into the event? The low "normal" 33psi or the higher speed recommended 45psi? Just wondering if the higher tire pressures could/would help with the squealing.

Again thanks for sharing...
Old 02-09-02, 06:17 PM
antigeek
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

One thing's for sure -- you have to take off that rotten TCS!!!
It's dropped the throttle on me too many times -- not suitable for getting any predictable performance from it.
Old 02-10-02, 12:18 PM
TOPLEXS
Driver

Mostly keep in 3rd, and let car shift for itself, upshifting only on long straights. Must keep eye on tach, however rev limiter will save you. ASC is frustrating in feel, however car still hustles right along. Feeling is strange for that system to be putting on the brakes when you want to go go GO!
Since I was not racing, just getting a feel for the car at speed in a safe environment, those issues were not critical.
The car performed much better than I would have expected. The weak link was the run flat tires. Ran at about 45 lbs, and while they were quite predictible, their squeeling kept me running well below their optimum levels.
Brakes were a high point. Easy to modulate, and never faded.
While this is not a "race car" many observers noted that it outclassed several bmw 3's, and most of the "ricers". Ran evenly with mustangs and cameros.
Fat torque band alowed the car to pull strongly off the corners, while ASC did not allow the car to drift.
VSC off and ECT on power setting allowed for good throttle control.
Overall impression is this is not a "race car", but a remarkable well balanced and well handling Grand Touring car with good power and refinement. The electronics seemed more designed to save you from skidding on the street than optimizing track performance.
Old 02-14-02, 06:58 PM
LexusFamily
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up Thanks for the Info

TOPLEXS,

Thanks for the really great info. I'm still thinking about taking my SC to VIR, just to see what she can do (this is the closest thing I have to a sports car right now).

One final question... Do you mean Traction Control System (TCS) when you reference ASC? If so, I'm a little puzzled since the manual states that TCS is also disabled when VSC is off, i.e., if VSC was switched off at the track, what system prevents the car from drifting through turns?

Thanks again...
Old 02-17-02, 07:14 PM
TOPLEXS
Driver

Don't know exactly what was going on, but even when VSC was turned off something was activating individual brakes when skittering through the esses. It would be just enough to straighten out the car when it reached it's traction limits. Maybe it is some sort of "yaw" control. With throttle full open you could feel the car come back to track in a straight line. A little strange on the track, but felt like a little guardian Angel. Glad to know that it is there for any possible moments of inattention when booking it down a twisty back road.
Old 02-19-02, 07:10 AM
LexusFamily
Driver School Candidate

Very interesting... Could be the manual is wrong or the VSC/TCS software doesn't perform as advertise. Thanks again for the reply!
Old 02-19-02, 08:46 AM
LexusSC430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The VSC control is always there. It was the same on my Supra, the remedy was just pull the plug going into the throttle body. You could also just pull the fuse. Its on even when shut off, but less dramatic.

Pull the fuse and Viola, all of a sudden the Supras governer was gone too and hello supersonic speeds.