SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

What's the best battery replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-08, 08:46 PM
Lightzout
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the best battery replacement?

Last drove my 2002 SC430 on April 8th, and after being out-of-town until the 22nd, discovered the battery had gone dead. I had left the alarm on during this time and wondered if this could have caused the battery to fully discharge. Since I just purchased this car in mid February, I can't be sure how old the battery is. I intend to have electrical system checked but hoping battery just needs replacing. Anyone have any recommendations on what batteries have been most reliable for this car and which ones to avoid?
Old 04-23-08, 09:48 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Conduct a search located in the upper right hand side on dead battery and a few threads will come up as a few SC430's have been plagued with this issue in case your battery is fine.

First thing is to have your battery checked out. If it is bad then of course you will have your options.

Everyone will have a difference opinion on the best battery based on their history. Most batteries in the country are made by only 3 major companies.

Name brand batteries include Diehard, Intersate, Exide, Optima,etc... I have owned both good and bad examples of them all. In fact the best none gel battery that I have had was the cheapest Walmart $28.00 battery. I have all Optimas at the moment.

More money generally gets you a better built battery with thicker plates and better plate protection to prevent internal shorts.

Odds are your battery is fine though as this car draws a bit of power all of the time and if you had the alarm on even more so. 2 weeks parked is a bit for any car to be sitting. Best to use a trickle charger or one of those solar dash top chargers.
Hope that helps and welcome aboard.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 04-24-08 at 05:36 AM.
Old 04-23-08, 11:00 PM
Hectorm
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Normally batteries last 2 to 3 years. Best battery is the one with longer warranty. Need to considerate that is you have a powerful sound system you w'l need a powerful battery.
Old 04-24-08, 05:37 AM
tfischer

Received 191 Likes on 144 Posts

About a year and a half ago I replaced the original battery in my SC, which was over 5 years old, with a new one. To be sure that everything fit correctly, I got a replacement from the dealer, which was probably not my least expensive option, (although I did buy it from the parts counter and "install" it myself) -- but when it failed for "no reason" last week, the dealer checked over the whole electrical system, found the battery defective, and replaced it for free. No charge for the battery, no charge for the service, and a loaner car for the afternoon while they did the work. So now that expensive "dealer" battery looks reasonably priced.