SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

stock runflats, any value or just toss them?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-08, 04:03 PM
Tensi
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default stock runflats, any value or just toss them?

Can I get anything for the stock runflats with only 9k on them, or do I have to toss them? Thanks.
Old 04-14-08, 04:40 PM
golfxx
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also have a stock set of Dunlop runflats (sport 5000 DDST) with only 6500 miles on them (about 7/32 nds left. Good question. I plan on listing mine on Craigs List for about 100 bucks each. They sell new for 325 each plus shipping at the Tire Rack.
Old 04-14-08, 06:58 PM
charliea42
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Tensi
Can I get anything for the stock runflats with only 9k on them, or do I have to toss them? Thanks.
You might want to check out your local options (newspapers or whatever). Look around at your local supermarket, there may be a local agency that has either flyers or a booklet of items for sale locally. You might want to post them there if there is one available. I wouldn't expect much on the internet (Ebay). The shipping charges, even for tires only, might well match the selling price of the tire. Not very likely to get many takers. Locally, you might luck out and find a RFT user that has had a puncture, and must replace his tire (can't repair a RFT, or so I'm told). You might want to insist on selling a pair at a minimum, rather than just one. I can't imagine anyone in possession of all of their faculties wanting to switch to RFTs from standard type tires, so your potential audience is going to be rather sparse I would guess.

I recently sold four snows from my previous car, but as it turned out the guy was more interested in the steel wheels than the tires mounted on them.
Old 04-14-08, 09:07 PM
Tensi
Intermediate

Haha gotcha. Thanks. I will look into it. I would just give them away, like 150 for all four.
Old 04-15-08, 12:30 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Sold mine on Ebay for around $300 for a nice set of 4 a while back so worth a try.
Old 04-15-08, 07:05 AM
norman52
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I would put an add In Craigslist for them. It is amazing what you can sell/ and buy on there.
I don't even take anything to the dump anymore. I just post an add for free stuff and people are lined up to take the junk I don't want home. And at least if they don't sell try to trade something for them. I once got a case of Crown Royal for a Chev center console!
Old 04-15-08, 09:45 AM
Tensi
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
Sold mine on Ebay for around $300 for a nice set of 4 a while back so worth a try.
Whoa! I didn't think that was possible. Will give it a shot. thanks.
Old 04-15-08, 09:45 AM
Tensi
Intermediate

Originally Posted by norman52
I would put an add In Craigslist for them. It is amazing what you can sell/ and buy on there.
I don't even take anything to the dump anymore. I just post an add for free stuff and people are lined up to take the junk I don't want home. And at least if they don't sell try to trade something for them. I once got a case of Crown Royal for a Chev center console!
LOL. Craigslist can't hurt. Thanks for the tip.
Old 04-15-08, 10:52 AM
HELLAFLUSH
Lead Lap

Toss them my way I'll give them a good home lol
Old 04-15-08, 12:41 PM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would also suggest trying to sell them. Owners of other vehicles besides ours are also mounted with runflats and owners of those vehicles may be looking for tires with the same specs as we run on our SC's. I would caution the sellers, whatever you do, don't misrepresent your product. If they have been repaired, etc. say so. I was almost burned by someone on this site selling tires that were supposed to be "new takeoffs". When they arrived at my house via UPS, they weren't even close to new. I won't even go into more details. But it wasn't a pleasant experience. Good luck!
Old 04-15-08, 07:33 PM
charliea42
Driver School Candidate

I suppose you can always use the tried and true method. Place the tires on your front lawn with a sign "4 Tires $150 - Inquire within". Within 12 hours they should no longer be a problem for you.
Old 04-15-08, 07:46 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by charliea42
I suppose you can always use the tried and true method. Place the tires on your front lawn with a sign "4 Tires $150 - Inquire within". Within 12 hours they should no longer be a problem for you.
Sort of reminds me when I kept a 2 gallon container of gas in my driveway at my last home one evening. Missing the next day. I bought another container and decided to mix the gas with antifreeze and sugar. Missing the next day as well. Not sure whatever happened to the first one, but I guarantee the next refill caused someone to have a bad day.
Old 04-15-08, 08:39 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
Sort of reminds me when I kept a 2 gallon container of gas in my driveway at my last home one evening. Missing the next day. I bought another container and decided to mix the gas with antifreeze and sugar. Missing the next day as well. Not sure whatever happened to the first one, but I guarantee the next refill caused someone to have a bad day.
reminds me of a friend in college. someone broke into his truck and stole his stereo 3 times. finally, he sautered razor blades onto the bottom edge of the stereo when he installed it. sure enough, one morning he came out to find his window broken and blood everywhere. kind of screwed up his interior, but his stereo was still there.
Old 04-15-08, 08:40 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jason702
reminds me of a friend in college. someone broke into his truck and stole his stereo 3 times. finally, he sautered razor blades onto the bottom edge of the stereo when he installed it. sure enough, one morning he came out to find his window broken and blood everywhere. kind of screwed up his interior, but his stereo was still there.
that hurts just reading it.
Old 04-15-08, 09:56 PM
arnage
Driver School Candidate

tensi, where in NJ are you?

Quick Reply: stock runflats, any value or just toss them?