SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Windshield fog

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-08, 09:12 PM
bfigard
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield fog

Granted I park outside, but let's see if any of you experts know a thing or two about window fog.

Why is my SC the only fogged window I see in the morning? It's not the only one parked outside, so maybe I have more water in my breath?

Anybody else get external windshield fog down by the vents when driving in cool weather? No, defroster was not on...

Fogging up the inside on a cool day is not an issue (stop breathing so hard!). But I don't get the fogging up in the morning and on the outside. Anybody?
Old 03-26-08, 10:03 PM
rsa supra
Pole Position

http://www.amazon.com/RainX-BCAF2111.../dp/B0009H5W66
Old 03-27-08, 06:21 AM
CenterIsl
Pit Crew

Not sure about the external fogging, but internal fogging overnight indicates moisture inside the car. Fog is, of course, condensation. It happens when air with moisture (and ALL air has moisture) is cooled sufficiently that the relative humidity goes to 100%. Fog, dew, it's basically the same phenomenon.

You'd be surprised how much moisture a damp floormat can retain, and that floormat is constantly trying to dry itself by evaporating moisture into the air. Now enclose that air in a car with the windows rolled up, and then cool any surface (in your case, the windshield) and there you have it - condensation.

Outside, well...I'll assume you have the same ambient air as your neighbors. So that means that the surface you're condensing onto (your windshield) is cooler than everyone else's windshield, particularly at the location you've identified. Near the vents? If the engine's running, I'm guessing you might be cooling (air conditioning) that part of the windshield. Overall, with the engine off? I'm guessing that the SC430 glass area somehow cools off faster - or to a lower temperature - than your neighbors' vehicles.

There are really only a couple of variables here...

Does that make sense?
Old 03-27-08, 07:29 AM
SC430Sam
Driver

My old Acura MDX did this same thing. It would be the only car in the parking lot with fog/condensation on the outside. Never on the inside. I always thought it was because I put Zaino on my windshield (because I assume most others do not). Would love to just know why this is.
Old 03-27-08, 07:36 AM
aquanuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I never use my SC430 in the rain fogs up something terrible inside.. Ive always put it down to the small cabin size.
Old 03-27-08, 02:19 PM
TXFM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aquanuke
I never use my SC430 in the rain fogs up something terrible inside.. Ive always put it down to the small cabin size.
Aquanuke - in London you don't drive when it rains?? No kidding? It's always raining when I've been there!

Seriously - I find that if I run my A/C, it does pull the moisture out of the cabin fairly quickly.
Old 03-27-08, 04:00 PM
aquanuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I do drive in the rain just not in the SC, partly also because its black and would just need constant cleaning with our rain. Its raining now but atleast its stop snowing

Its not even a summer car as it rains all through summer as well