SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Door windows rub against roof

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-08, 10:41 AM
blue43
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Door windows rub against roof

I have a 2005 SC430 that recently had the windows tinted. Now when closing the doors, the top of the windows rub against the roof. At times when the door is closed, the window actually gets caught against the roof, bowing the window out 1/4". The window tinter insists the windows were not removed or any adjustment made. I tend to believe him since the I didn't pay a premium for the tint and it took only a few hours. Has anyone heard of this happening?
Old 03-17-08, 10:45 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i didn't have that kind of issue on my sc430

can you describe more about the rubbing of the window top and the roof? what part? how? meaning you can't open and close the door?
Old 03-17-08, 10:59 AM
blue43
Driver School Candidate

It looks like the mid point on the top of the window catches the rubber seal on the underside of the roof. You can hear it rub when the door closes and opens. A small number of time the window actually become jammed under the roof when the door is closed. The doors always open without a problem. I have only had the car a few weeks and am not certain how much clearance is normal between the top of the window and underside of the roof.
Old 03-17-08, 11:22 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

OK, that's just plain weird!!!

I've had this issue on and off from Day 1 with the car and literally decided this weekend to post and see if others have...just didn't get a chance to yet.

I've taken it to the dealer and they don't see anything wrong. What I've found is that the window glass rubs/hits the roof window seal. This only seems to happen when it's cold. I don't mean "cold" as in the engine is not up to operating temperature...it does it when it's cold outside. It's like the whole car, except for the glass, shrinks 1/8" when it's below 45°.

Sometimes it just rubs a bit and sounds a little weird when you close the door. But, sometimes it's bad enough that it keeps the door from closing.

It takes very little variation to make a difference. If you hold the door handle from the bottom (not really putting any upward pressure on the door, just holding it from the bottom) the "hit" will be worse. If you hold the door handle from the top when you close the door (again, not pushing down or anything, just closing the door with your hand on the top of the door handle), it will hit less or maybe even not at all.

As soon as spring arrives, the problem disappears until September.

When I took it to the dealership, I explained the whole situation. When it happens, how to reproduce it, the whole thing. What did they do? They wheeled the car into their heated garage and took 4 hours to get around to looking at it...then marked "No Problem Found" on the repair slip.
Old 03-17-08, 11:44 AM
blue43
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Habious for the reply, sorry you have the same problem but kinda glad I'm not the only one. I live in Southern California so I'm not sure if my problem is temperature related. With that said, it's in the low 70's today and the problem is only minor (slight rubbing noise) but was worse yesterday when in was in the 60's. It's hard to believe the car was designed with so little tolerance between the glass and roof that this is "normal" behavior with slight temperature fluctuations, makes me think something is just out of alignment.
Old 03-17-08, 11:50 AM
Habious

That's what I figured. There's got to be an adjustment in the door. That's why I took it to the dealership. But, as I said above, that trip wasn't really effective.
Old 03-21-08, 07:56 AM
paul_k
Rookie

On my 05 SC I have had an intermittant problem with the Passenger side door not closing properly and about two or three times a year a loud bang (makes you jump!) coming from the top of the passenger side window when opening the roof.

I took it to the dealer and they said there is a known issue with the adjustment height of the window.

This was lowered slightly by removing the door trim and since then all has been fine.

Cheers

Paul
Old 03-21-08, 11:20 AM
Habious

Hmm...known issue? I wonder if there's a TSB out there for it.
Old 03-28-08, 01:22 PM
FALCON1
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had this same problem since my 2002 was born.

Did not realize it until one day I heard some wind noise..........when I lowered the passenger window in flight I got the BOOM you spoke about , scared the pants off me............went up fine after that.............now , I make sure the door is closed properly, sometimes being it takes 2-3 X to close it secure.

Lexus like some others has never fixed or duplicated the problem in the shop.

I am waiting for the damm window to crack or blow one day one the road.

FALCON 1
Old 04-01-08, 03:29 PM
howardde
Driver School Candidate

I have this same problem in my '02 SC430 here in Georgia. Its only on the passenger side door and it only happens occasionally. I hate when I don't realize that the window is stuck up there and the loud bang you mentions eventually happens. You can also correct it once you know it has happened by lowering the window, which also unfortunately creates the bang as well. I haven't bothered to get it fixed as I don't know how they'd go about fixing it.