SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC430 wheel spacer/adapter Advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-08, 09:49 PM
mmaloy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by surteco
MMALOY if possible please post your info in public. I am considering this issue and would benefit from your experience also. If possible some photos. Thanks
Just my little input:

As long as your staying with the stock wheels, 20mm front rear won't be a problem. Going with the brand "Kics" is a great idea because they have their own bolts on them and you're not limited by the length of the stock bolts on the car itself. You simply bolt them on to your existing wheel hub bolts. Three major cautions:

1. You MUST purchase the model appropriate hubcentric rings along with the spacers. Otherwise it will NOT work.

2. Any balance issues or bent wheel issues will be DRASTICALLY amplified because of the change in the geometry of the suspension. You may need to balance your wheels multiple times during the life of your tires as they wear. (which is cheap though) You will feel a shimmy similar to warped rotors if they are out of balance in the slightest.

3. Finally, once installed you will need to have the car aligned as I stated before, because of the change in the geometry of the suspension.

I used 20mm Kics front and rear on my '02 SC430 and was pleased. You should pay about $200-$250 for a set of 4 including the rings.

Hope that helps!
Old 03-07-08, 09:18 AM
farkas
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Put an order in for a pair of 25mm and 30mm H&R's. 30mm for the rear and 25mm for the front. I will post pictures of before and after shots of the car. Also of the adapters. Thanks again for all the good input. It also looks like a few people out here also benefited!
Old 03-26-08, 05:25 PM
farkas
Lead Lap

Smile

Well I finally got the spacers!!!! I originally ordered 25mm for the front and 30mm for the back. I ordered H&R's and they cancelled my order because they could not get the 30mm's. So I reordered all 25mm sets and I got them! I put them on and they are difinately an improvement!!!! Below are before and after pictures. I think I am still going to try and find 30mm spacers for the rears. You guys were right on the money with your earlier sugestions!!!!! Anyways they still look a lot better now!!!! Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails SC430 wheel spacer/adapter Advice-before1.jpg  
Old 03-26-08, 05:27 PM
farkas
Lead Lap

First and second picture is of before.
Attached Thumbnails SC430 wheel spacer/adapter Advice-before2a.jpg  
Old 03-26-08, 05:29 PM
farkas
Lead Lap

These are of after the spacers/adapters have been installed
Attached Thumbnails SC430 wheel spacer/adapter Advice-after1.jpg  
Old 03-26-08, 05:30 PM
farkas
Lead Lap

Much Better!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails SC430 wheel spacer/adapter Advice-after2a.jpg  
Old 03-28-08, 09:56 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

farkas,

It looks great!

Thank you for sharing
Old 03-28-08, 12:50 PM
aquanuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

makes a big difference Does the car feel different as well?
Old 03-29-08, 10:35 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks good. Would be interested in hearing if the the ride changes at all. Although I would suspect it wouldn't. Maybe only affect the steering. Just noticing . . . . . . . you have to hate that front license plate. Glad we don't need those here in NC!
Old 03-29-08, 12:00 PM
farkas
Lead Lap

The car feels a little bit more sure footed on the road. It did increase the wheel width by 2" Front and back. I would not say that it is a drastic change. Yes here in Ohio we have to have a front plate and it sucks. If you get caught without one, the fine is something crazy like $100.00. Just to make the SC430 have a different look, I put the plate to the side. I did not have to drill any holes in my bumper either. Just mounted it through the vent holes. We have done this with our SC300 also.
Old 03-29-08, 12:14 PM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have heard of guys, especially in CA I think, who have experienced hefty fines for not dispaying that front plate.

I was wondering why you mounted the plate on the off-centered like that. But now I know and to add that I think that is a brilliant idea to use the existing openings on the bumper and not have to drill holes. Will be beneficial if you ever decide to unload the SC the someone or someplace that doesn't have to have the front plate. I am certain that drilled holes in a bumper would do some serious damage to resale value!
Old 03-29-08, 12:55 PM
farkas
Lead Lap

Most Cars up here have the plates mounted in the center of the bumper direct from the dealer when you buy the car. Only the few fortunate ones that catch the dealer BEFORE they drill the bumper and mount that damn plate! I bought the car from florida and I had the option to save the bumper from the drill! Besides, the plate mounted to the side gives it a unique look.
Old 03-30-08, 01:35 PM
kaetamer
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by farkas
Well I finally got the spacers!!!! So I reordered all 25mm sets and I got them! I put them on and they are difinately an improvement!!!!
So, essentially you did what mmaloy suggested only with 25mm instead of 20mm? No other modifications needed?

Looks great!
Old 03-30-08, 02:51 PM
farkas
Lead Lap

Yes, with the 25mm spacers it will clear the stock studs and fit without any mods. I used 25mm all around but I have ordered 30mm for the rears as I think they need to come out just a bit more. TalWang on this site posted pictures with the 30mm on the rear and it looked perfect. The 25mm on the fronts are perfect also. By the way, the H&R's that I ordered were hubcentric both in and out of the spacers. They are VERY nice! No vibration or shimmy at all. I am very pleased with the choice. Aquanuke and Mmaloy were right on with their advice!
Old 04-10-08, 08:52 PM
dsimo
Driver

I used 25mm H&Rs for a few years with no problems. Recently bought some Enkei Tarmac wheels with 20mm offset (equivalent to a 25mm spacer) and still have no clearance problems. BTW, I believe replacing those heavy stock wheels with some lightweight wheels makes a noticeable difference in ride and handling, and if you stick with the 18x8 size, it won't set you back all that much $.

http://www.enkei.com/jpeg%20files/Wh...armacch.bg.jpg

Quick Reply: SC430 wheel spacer/adapter Advice