SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

What should a alignment cost

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-08, 03:42 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts
Question What should a alignment cost

How much should a front alignment cost on a 2005 sc430 ?

Is there such a thing as a rear alignment ?

REAR RIMS DONZ PRO GENOVESE 20 X 10 HYPER SILVER
REAR TIRES ARE TOY0 PROXIES T1-S 275/30ZR20

FRONT RIMS DONZ PRO GENOVESE 20 X 8.5 HYPER SILVER
FRONT TIRES ARE TOYO PROXIES T1-S 245/35ZR20

Agency is telling me cost for alighnment will be more and they cant guarantee the accuracy because of rims and tires not being factory oem. I did not try any alighnment shops because I dont know who I can trust.

I want to install the diazen front and rear anti sway bars myself before I get the alighnment done. I have very gentle 5277 miles on car I am the original
owner.

Any advice

Buddy
2005 sc430 pebble beach
Old 02-29-08, 05:16 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you go to an old school shop which does it by hand, they should charge you somewhere between 35-50 bucks (front 2 wheels).
4 wheel laser alignments should be 65-85 bucks.

I bought a lifetime alignment package at my local tire place and I paid 179.99 for unlimited 4 wheel laser alignments. I would sugest you finding a local shop that has the same type of deal and taking advantage of it. My girlfriend has the same type of lifetime program with firestone.

The nonsense they are giving you about aftermarket rims is just that, nonsense. A good alignment guy will get your car as close to stock spec every time and should not have a problem doing it. My guy can align rims from 15-24" and nothing you ever tell him is a problem.

I would suggest you do get your sways installed before the alignment, so that you will not need to do things twice.
Old 02-29-08, 08:39 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

sears will cost you about $65
NTB is about $75 but they have a 3 year unlimited alignment program for $139.99. its great for me because i daily drive my SC and take it to drift events. i do diff alignment settings whenever i go to the track. if you do any suspension upgrades within 3 years its still well worth it. and they do free lifetime tire rotations

most big shops dont do rear alignment unless its a performance shop. most shops just do a full one.
Old 03-01-08, 08:23 AM
norman52
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I go to an old alignment shop that does trucks and everything. They don't sell tires or anything, They know how to bend the old Ford twin I-beam axles to align them. They actually put 200 pounds of weight in the drivers side to simulate me and then they align the wheels.

I used to mark lines on the adjustment bolts to see if they were even adjusted before I went to other shops. They tell you it is all adjusted and you look and the marks on the bolts haven't even moved.
It is amazing how many places tell you that your car is aligned and they didn't do anything! It was close so they didn't touch a thing. Those are the shops that come back and try to sell you ball joints or shocks or something afterwards even when you don't need them.
Old 03-01-08, 10:13 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

My alignment on my car seems to be ok as it is now. I priviously had the 18 " run flats on and when I switched to the 20 " rims and toyo proxies the car handled better but ride just as hard since the tires are not runflats but still have a very low profile more then then 18 " runflats. I am about to put on the daizen anti sway bars . If my alignment seemed ok prior to installing the new bars will I have to have the car aligned afterI install the diezen's . In other words is there any relationship to anti sway bars effecting alignment.
Are there settings that have to be changed because of the changes of the antisway bars . \

Buddy
Old 03-01-08, 10:19 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

You should be ok in that respect. Lowering these cars will certainly affect alignment and many can no longer be aligned properly after lowering as the caster (if memory serves) does not allow for much adjustment.
Old 03-01-08, 12:09 PM
norman52
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is the link the the alignment specifications.

http://cancunrentalvilla.com/images/...0alignment.pdf

Given the choice if you can't find an alignment shop you trust, go find some SCCA racers and see who does their cars. Those guys worry about 1/4 of a degree or less so their alignments are always spot on.