SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Custom Switch for my NavTool

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-08, 06:36 PM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Custom Switch for my NavTool

Well...ok.

Time to post my first REAL mod. Quite a few people have installed the NavTool device for video input to the factory navigation screen. PearlPower's post was invaluable in helping me get it installed (it's so good, the NavTool instruction sheet now includes pictures courtesy of PearlPower!)

One thing I will add is that it's an unbelievable PITA to get the connectors that are behind the navigation system in the trunk!

So, I had everything all planned out ahead of time, due to these great instructions. One thing that he didn't cover, however, is where he mounted the switch that comes with the unit.

If you haven't seen it, it's a tiny, crappy, el-cheap-o toggle switch. I took the unit out of the box, took one look at that switch and said "There is no way I'm drilling a hole in my car and installing that hunk-o-crap. There's got to be a better way."

Here's the switch the kit came with...

Well, I don't know if what I came up with is "better" way but, I think it's a much cleaner way...and it's pretty darn cool if I do say so myself.

I wanted the system to have as factory a look as possible. I know that some folks put the switch inside the center console but, this isn't exactly convenient. I wanted the switch to be easily accessible but, invisible.

Here's an observation I noticed. Once the Navigation system screen is open, the "Open" button doesn't do anything. So, I used it.

Here's a short video showing how my video switch works. It's so clean this way!

By the way, this was REALLY tough to figure out!! While I consider myself a very competent electronics technician, I'm not an electrical engineer.

I had to isolate the switch from the existing circuitry in the climate control module. I then ran wires to a DPDT relay. One side of the relay went back into the module to continue doing the existing switch function (opening the Nav door when it's closed). The other side of the relay would control the NavTool. Problem: this is a momentary closure. If I just ran this side of the relay to the NavTool, I'd have to hold the "Open" button down the whole time I wanted to watch the secondary video input. Yeah, that wouldn't work. So, I found a company that makes a momentary-to-alternate-action circuit board. You press the open button once, the relay clicks over and STAYS. Click it again, it releases.

As a side trick, I grabbed ground for my relay-feeding-a-relay circuit from the valet switch in the glove box. So, when the valet switch is out, the top doesn't work, the trunk doesn't open, AND my nav screen door stays closed and won't switch to the other video input. Keeps people out of it!

Again, this is my first real mod so, I request that you be somewhat kind to me. I don't think this is the simplest solution for a switch. There may even be other ways to tap into the "Open" switch besides what I did. All I can say is, this works. And it works beautifully!

If anyone wants exact details, I've got circuit diagrams, parts lists, and parts sources.

If you're considering trying this, in case you haven't figured it out yet, let me be clear... THIS WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY ON THE CLIMATE CONTROL MODULE...WHICH IS A VERY EXPENSIVE PART!!!!!

-Greg

Last edited by Habious; 05-29-13 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Fixed formatting for YouTube embedded link
Old 01-22-08, 06:58 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow Great Job!

I am planning to do this also and have to find the time,

So that relay switch is only for the 2nd video input right?
Old 01-22-08, 07:09 PM
Habious

Yup. NavTool automatically switches Input #2 when you put the car in reverse (backup camera). The toggle switch is to switch between the factory signal (navigation system) and Input #1 (in my demo it's a portable DVD player...it's soon-to-be a Carputer.
Old 01-22-08, 07:41 PM
SC430Sam
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great post. I am looking to do something similar to this, but I would hate to void my warranty so early. Where else do people put the switch?
Old 01-23-08, 05:26 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

This is a great job. I wish I had just an ounce of all of the brain power and skills exhibited on this site! Oh some of the things you guys (and gals) can do to vehicles! Kudos on a great mod. Enjoyed reading and seeing the video!
Old 01-23-08, 08:43 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

One word: SWEET!!!
Old 01-23-08, 04:41 PM
rcpeters
Driver

Smile Nice Job - Parts Sources?

What is the manufacturer and part number of the relay and the circuit board device? Would you please post the wiring diagram that you mentioned? I guess you ran your external DVD player output to the video in jack not used in the U.S. configured SC430's.

As I am a ham radio guy, I can handle the wiring but I'm not eager to pull apart the dash and fiddle around with the open close switch and the climate control wiring on the SC430 that I have not even purchased yet. Oh, and I think you said the cabling to the Nav unit was really tough or did you say PITA?

But anyway, this mod really updates the Nav functionality in the older SC430's and I don't think the new ones in the U.S. can play DVD's either.

A really great electrical mod!!
Old 01-28-08, 09:44 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Greg,

How about a pix of the rear camera mount? Having had it a few weeks now, is it really useful when backing up or more of just a cool thing to have?
Old 01-30-08, 07:08 PM
Habious

Default Rear Camera Pix

I have a license plate frame camera. Simple to install, looks good (in my opinion), and is very easy to adjust (a couple of allen-head screws).

[LINK REMOVED]

Here's a picture of the screen with the backup camera in action (looks a lot better in person BTW)

And, without moving the car, here's what that position looks like from outside the car.

I park in a parking garage both at work and at home. The work garage is VERY tight...lots of columns and lots of other cars in close proximity. Having this is REALLY nice! At first I thought it might just be a gee-whiz kind of thing but, it's really nice to have it!

I finally have my Carputer installed and running (that was the ultimate plan for the second video input). Will be posting pics and vid of the installation soon. Was shooting the video tonight when the camera battery died!

On a side note JohnnyCake, if you'd like to see the back-up camera in action, I'd be happy to swing by your place sometime and let you see it in person. I've got a friend I visit regularly in MD so, your place is (kind of) along the way (that offer also goes out to anyone else in the NoVa/DC/MD area). Love showing my work off!

-Greg

Last edited by Habious; 02-05-12 at 08:07 PM.
Old 01-30-08, 07:26 PM
bt430
Pole Position

I'm in for checking it out let me know where and when!

BT
Old 01-31-08, 05:22 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Oh that is nice! That is all my wife keeps talking about is the lack of a backup camera in "her" car. And take my word for it, she needs it!
Old 02-03-08, 07:42 AM
Habious

Default Custom switch details

OK,

I finally have some time to put down some documentation.

Here's a circuit diagram of how it's put together.

First thing I had to do was isolate the switch from the factory circuit. I had to break the circuit board runs and then run a small jumper (since one of the connections runs THROUGH one side of the switch). You can see my jumper wire at the top of this picture.

Once I had the switch isolated, I could tap into the factory switch...like this...

I then spliced into the factory wires so that the one side of the DPDT relay could operate the original function of the switch (open the NAV door).

With all of that done, the inside of the AC control module looks like this...

Rather than getting one larger project box for everything, I decided that it would be easier to tuck the modules away inside the dash with two smaller project boxes.

The MCMConnect relay board is in one box...

And my DPDT relay is in another...

The whole thing, assembed, looks like this...

Last edited by Habious; 02-05-12 at 08:06 PM. Reason: updated picture links
Old 02-03-08, 08:58 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

That had to take some guts or a lot of confidence!

The best part of your install is that it looks so factory, even the touch pad. Amazing work.
Old 02-03-08, 01:54 PM
Habious

JohnnyCake,

That's exactly the look I was going for. I don't want the car sitting in a parking lot, have someone walk past, and go "Wow, look at all the crazy modifications he's done to this!"

Most folks don't even see the touchpad until I point it out to them.

I have to say, I LOVE having the Sirius up on the Nav screen instead of buried in the ashtray. And, having every mp3 I own accessible at the touch of a finger; just awesome!
Old 02-13-08, 05:54 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Greg,

I'm sending my Climate control down to you ASAP!!!

Quick Reply: Custom Switch for my NavTool