SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Mid-range & Bass Speakers in Doors Replaced

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-06, 12:01 PM
rscharf
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mid-range & Bass Speakers in Doors Replaced

I did a search of this website for any posts regarding replacement of speakers that have gone bad and I didn't find any, so I'm creating this post.

For the record, I have an '02 built in December of 2000 that I picked up new in June '02. You ask how I can pick up a new SC a whole 18 months after it was built? The dealership assumed that the car was 'lost' in the port of LA that whole time. I gave all this info for the record to say the speakers have been used for almost 4 years and are actually almost 6 years old.

Within the past 6 months, I've had the 2.5 inch driver's side midrange speaker and will have had both 6 x 9 inch Kevlar composite speakers replaced in the doors.

About 6 months ago, the Nav. voice started to sound like it was through a kazoo. I was told that the voice for Nav. only comes out of that one driver's side midrange speaker, so it was replaced. Then, a couple of months later the woofer on the passenger side was sounding bad, they thought maybe it was just a door rattle, but the service writer was surprised when he told me I was right and that the tech. had replaced that speaker. Now, the driver's side woofer sounds even worse than the passenger one did, and a different service writer thought at first that it was a rattlling of the door before he put his hand on the cover. They have a speaker in stock and I'll take it in Monday. I'm pretty sure it's going to have to be replaced.

Has anyone else had this kind of experience with the speakers? I haven't had any issues with the system before this and my system is all stock. I'm just glad I'm able to get them replaced before the warranty goes out. I'd hate to see the price tag on these speakers!

I quoted the speaker descriptions from this webpage:
http://www.avrev.com/equip/lexus/index.html

Robert
Old 04-27-06, 02:52 PM
camillian
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With all the speakers sounding differently funny are you sure it is not the amp or system that is at fault?
Old 04-27-06, 03:02 PM
rscharf
Driver

Originally Posted by camillian
With all the speakers sounding differently funny are you sure it is not the amp or system that is at fault?
I assume they are just failing differently, or in the case of mid-range and woofers, I would assume they would sound differently as they fail since they're at different frequencies and constructed differently. Of the two woofers, the driver's door sounds a lot worse than the passenger one did as it failed.

Believe me, I am concerned that it could be something more than the speakers with 3 going in such a short time. I guess that's one of the reasons I wanted to post, so I could get ideas like yours.

Thanks.

Robert
Old 04-28-06, 06:42 AM
DChuka
Driver

Originally Posted by camillian
Isn't the '02 known for having problems with the amp?
Old 04-28-06, 06:49 AM
Radical350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have an 02. I had my drivers-side door woofer replaced in February and passenger-side replaced in March. Both under warranty of couse. I think I am pushing them alot harder on the volume than the previous owner, I likes it loud!!!!! Just showing thier age.
Old 05-12-06, 05:13 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Hi rscharf ...

I purchased my '02 in the summer of '01 and have had no problems with any of the speakers. However, I may not be a good example of one who "pushes" his speakers. While I do pump them up on occasion, I try not to subject everyone in a five-mile radius to my musical preferences.

You probably already know that there is an issue with some of the 2002 model year power amps, though. Mine, for example, would suddenly cause the volume to go to FULL BLAST. It was replaced early in the life of the car and the replacement has behaved properly since.

Oh yeah ... because I store my car during the winter months and I don't have to drive to work every day, there are only 13,000 miles on it, so the speakers haven't really had a workout.
Old 05-12-06, 09:42 AM
rscharf
Driver

Hey EdP-

Yes, I recognize your username from when I first jumped on this site when I got my car, and I remember that you live close to my hometown of Horseheads, NY.

I probably do give the speakers a good workout and they get a hell of a baking in the Texas summer sun, but I am beginning to believe that these speakers don't have a long life. We're talking Mark Levinson here!, I thought the speakers would be more robust. It's a stock system, I would think that they had the right speakers and would have some technology to protect them if they are being pushed too far. I've never had speakers go out on a car before. Except my VW Phaeton when it was new. I think that was a bad speaker from the factory.

Yeah, maybe you just haven't driven it enough, pushed it enough, and don't get it baked enough in those cooler temperatures, but beware, I have a feeling that if you keep the car a long time, you might need new ones at some point.

Robert
Old 07-20-07, 11:02 AM
chfrenc3
Driver School Candidate

Default speaker replacement

I’ve had intermittent problems with my passenger door speaker sounding like it’s blown. My local dealer said that there is short in the speaker somewhere that is goes in and out of contact with temperature change. I still can't pin-point it to sounding blown at specific temps. Dealer said it would $500-600 to replace. Carson Toyota price (w/ Club Lexus discount) = $320. So I’ll probably just buy it from Carson and try and put it in myself, unless anyone else has suggestions.
Old 08-07-07, 03:51 AM
hksnlper
Pole Position

I am having the same problem with mine. The driver side speaker sounds like its been blown... Some times the sound is perfect and some time its very bad that I have to turn the system off. I have the 02 with only 43k miles on it. I think the warranty is already out. What can I do any suggestion.
Old 08-07-07, 10:09 AM
talwang

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

The OEM woofer will cost you MSRP $203 per side. The cheapest oem one I can find is $153. A compatible aftermarket one is really hard to find.

After owning this car for more than 4 years, I start to think an extended warranty from dealer is actually not a bad idea.

If you are interested in DIY, ZGone has a good write up.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=288367

5. Tweeter 02-07 $90.50

6. Mid range 02-07 $112.35

7. Door Back 02-07 $203.18

8. Quarter panel 02-07 $112.35

9. Subwoofer 02-07 $451.03

Old 08-07-07, 10:34 AM
Lapraka
Driver

Where can i get these speakers. U said the cheapest was $153, for a ML $203 it's not bad either. Is there a online parts store, or is this a quote from the dealer. Please let me know. I'm interested on ordering a sub-too.

Thanks
Elson
Old 08-07-07, 10:50 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Originally Posted by rscharf
Hey EdP-

Yes, I recognize your username from when I first jumped on this site when I got my car, and I remember that you live close to my hometown of Horseheads, NY.

Robert
Hi .. I recognize your moniker, too. The complexion of this forum has changed greatly since 2002, hasn't it?

My Lexus dealer is in Rochester, but I will not go there via Horseheads/Elmira because they're turning Rt17 into I86 and there's a ton of construction going on. By the time I'm on the other side of the grass, it'll be done and a great drive.

My speakers are still okay, but a few days ago the CD player refused to accept CDs. I tried five different CDs and they were all spit right back at me. I stopped trying because I thought one of them might get jammed. For some reason they're being accepted now. Go figure.

My extended warranty is two weeks past expiration and I only have 17,000 miles on this six-year-old car.
Old 08-07-07, 12:00 PM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by 1NICESC430
Hi .. I recognize your moniker, too. The complexion of this forum has changed greatly since 2002, hasn't it?

My Lexus dealer is in Rochester, but I will not go there via Horseheads/Elmira because they're turning Rt17 into I86 and there's a ton of construction going on. By the time I'm on the other side of the grass, it'll be done and a great drive.

My speakers are still okay, but a few days ago the CD player refused to accept CDs. I tried five different CDs and they were all spit right back at me. I stopped trying because I thought one of them might get jammed. For some reason they're being accepted now. Go figure.

My extended warranty is two weeks past expiration and I only have 17,000 miles on this six-year-old car.

My 2 cents for what its' worth.
I had an '02, just switched to an '03, had no problems with the '02.

The likelihood that that many speakers are going at the same time would seem to be small. I just pulled 15 yr old speakers out of my '68 volvo 1800S and they were still working but looking old but all in 1 piece.

If possible I'd suggest do a visual on the speakers. Check the surround, the cone the driver. (I had a BA home speaker that had the voice coil pull loose from the cone, just needed to be reglued. If the speakers look good try swapping the R to the L see how it sounds. Or temporarily try a known good speaker.

My fear is your amp is on the way out.
Old 08-07-07, 12:28 PM
1NICESC430
Instructor

EJC ...

You quoted the wrong guy - I don't have a problem with my speakers, but I see you have an 1800S.

Here's my Volvo P1800S that I bought new in 1964 for $3,995 (a princely sum at the time) and drove for five years. What a car!

I don't know if it was the car that attracted the gals or the fact that I was not yet 30 and my sweater still wrinkled when I sat down. Good times. Good times.
Attached Thumbnails Mid-range & Bass Speakers in Doors Replaced-p1800_1.jpg  
Old 08-07-07, 01:03 PM
talwang

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Lapraka
Where can i get these speakers. U said the cheapest was $153, for a ML $203 it's not bad either. Is there a online parts store, or is this a quote from the dealer. Please let me know. I'm interested on ordering a sub-too.

Thanks
Elson
You can pm sewell lexus or carson toyota (both CL vendors here) to see if they can match or even beat the price.
If none of them can give you a better deal, I'll tell you where to order it.
That $153 doesn't include shipping,tax and installation fees.

You might fix the woofer by simply using the speaker glue or send it to a speaker repair shop so you can save some money.

Quick Reply: Mid-range & Bass Speakers in Doors Replaced