TPM Reset on SC430?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-08, 10:26 PM
Willdief
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPM Reset on SC430?

Hi Folks,
I'm new to the forum. I bought a 2003 SC430 for my wife and we are both enjoying it tremendously. I'm new to the hardtop convertible world and this car is awesome. It's nice to find such a well done forum for the brand.

I have a question that has probably been dealt with before but after a search of the forums I couldn't find anything specific to an SC430: how to reset the tire pressure monitor light. I found a post for a different model that said a reset button was under the steering column but couldn't find one in the SC430. So I'm sorry if this is a rehash of an old item... I couldn't find it in the owner's manual, either.

So, could I ask if someone could tell me how to reset the TPM on the SC430?

Thanks in advance!
- Will D
Kirkland, WA
Old 01-16-08, 05:24 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a little more info may help get you a response. . . . . . .such as what you mean by "reset"? Is the light constantly on? This should indicate low air pressure in at least one tire. The obvious fix for this is to add air, at least to the recommended pressure. Which is at or above 33 p.s.i. I believe. If the light doesn't go off after a quick drive, then you may have a bad sensor(s). Then you have a more difficult decision. Replace the sensors, or turn off the TPMS. I know there are posts here on how to disable the TPMS in an SC.

You are right, this is a great forum with lots of talented, helpful people with great advice. Good luck and welcome!
Old 01-16-08, 10:33 AM
Willdief
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the reply! Yes, the light remains on even though the tire pressures have been set correctly. My understanding from poking around the forums was that there is a reset switch which basically clears the warning status generated by the sensor.

One tire had a slow leak and required removal from the wheel and a plug to repair it. The light has been on consistently since then. I've tried overinflating the tires, driving approx. 15 minutes that way then reducing them to the stock pressures which did nothing. I check the pressures often (I'm a car nut and racer, etc. so it's in my DNA and keep them properly dialed in all the time.

So if the TPM is meant to automatically reset when the pressures are correct and there is not a reset (I thought I'd found something regarding a different Lexus model that would indicate that one had a reset) then it sounds like the sensor is bad. If that's the case, I'll have to decide if it's worth replacing it or if I should just follow the advice of others and disable the thing. It's not much a safety issue as I stay on top of the pressures.

Thanks,
Will
Old 01-16-08, 03:17 PM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

sensor prob went out, battery died?
Old 05-09-08, 11:30 AM
cellrbr8
Driver School Candidate

Default TPM reset

Did you find your answer. I'm having the same problem. The dealer describes the reset as being under the dash above the accelerator, but I can't find it.
Old 05-09-08, 11:48 AM
tm510
Rookie

Default Double check the TPMS button in the glove box.

Read the manual. Just to the right of the glove box is a two position switch for TPMS. I believe the idea is your car may have two sets of tires, each with their own TPMS sensors in them, so when you swap your wheels, you change the setting of this switch.

I inadvertedly pushed it and noticed my TPMS warning light was on. I checked the tires - they were fine. Then I read th manual and realized what that switch was.

Press the switch, and bang, the light goes out. I guess it was trying to read sensors which don't exist so it light the warning light. This maybe your issue.

Jerry
Old 12-07-10, 05:33 PM
codyshive
Driver School Candidate

Default Tpms

Thanks. My tires were 28PSI all around, and suddenly the TPMS light came on. I read the manual, and found on the last page what the tire pressures all around are supposed to be -- 33PSI.

I filled them to 34 PSI, got in, started the car, and the TPMS light went off. Just as it should, when all the tires are above the threshold.

Sometimes we look for problems, where there are no problems at all. Simply RTFM: on occasion, it works!
Old 02-03-11, 11:43 AM
SparxVA
Driver School Candidate

Default TPMS sensor on the spare?

Originally Posted by Willdief
Thanks for the reply! Yes, the light remains on even though the tire pressures have been set correctly. [...]

One tire had a slow leak and required removal from the wheel and a plug to repair it. The light has been on consistently since then. I've tried overinflating the tires, driving approx. 15 minutes that way then reducing them to the stock pressures which did nothing. I check the pressures often (I'm a car nut and racer, etc. so it's in my DNA and keep them properly dialed in all the time. [...]
Did you check the tire pressure on the spare? It may have a TPMS sensor too and people always forget to check the spare until they need it.

- Sparx in Va
Old 02-04-11, 02:43 PM
m3nv
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mostly like the sensor battery needs to be replaced. Considering the car is a 03, its about time for them to go bad.
Old 02-04-11, 08:50 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

or you could have bought the car after someone had aftermarket wheels and put their stocks back on that were sitting in the garage with no tire pressure sensors. Also one could have gone out, lexus can tell you which and then I think you have to change out the whole set but its better to buy some lexus sensors on ebay and then take them to the dealer to have them registered to the car.