SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Pebble Beach + Kelley Blue Book...

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-08, 03:45 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Pebble Beach + Kelley Blue Book...

So, I'm checking out KBB.com regarding an '05 SC430 Pebble Beach Edition (Black with Red) that I've seen.

Oddly enough, the pricing of a used SC430 with or without the Pebble Beach is the same.

Is this typical with KBB? Does this really affect the resale value of a Pebble Beach SC430, or will dealers most likely just up the price because it's a limited edition vehicle?
Old 01-03-08, 04:05 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

dealers will jack up the price of PB, and likely for the market price as well. but personally i wouldn't expect it to be that much difference anymore
Old 01-04-08, 06:43 AM
MDames2
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The KBB is a very poor source for actual valuation of a vehicle. The KBB is used by banks to determine how much they will lend on a particular vehicle. It does not provide real world car values. For that you can use Edmunds.com car appraiser. It too is not always accurate, but it's a lot better than KBB.
Old 01-04-08, 06:56 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Even with Edmunds you don't get to differentiate between the standard SC and the PB edition. So it appears they are the same value wise. And as said many times before, they are internally (engine, main components, etc.). Just cosmetically different.
Old 01-04-08, 08:58 AM
ReLexin
Lexus Champion

dealers don't use KBB. They have their own scheme of ways to screw us.
Old 01-04-08, 09:46 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by ReLexin
dealers don't use KBB. They have their own scheme of ways to screw us.
Well, the funny thing is that this particular '05 Pebble Beach SC430 is priced about $6k below BBK or Edmunds for the regular SC430. I don't know if this dealer knows that he can really screw with people because he can since it's "limited edition."

If you trade in a PB Edition SC430, I'm pretty sure you won't get more than a regular SC430. But if dealers sell it, they should price it even more. Oh well...
Old 01-04-08, 09:58 AM
charley240
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Well, the funny thing is that this particular '05 Pebble Beach SC430 is priced about $6k below BBK or Edmunds for the regular SC430. I don't know if this dealer knows that he can really screw with people because he can since it's "limited edition."

If you trade in a PB Edition SC430, I'm pretty sure you won't get more than a regular SC430. But if dealers sell it, they should price it even more. Oh well...
yeah, im sure theyd price it the same as an sc430 for trade in, but jack up to sell as a limited. strange, you may have found yourself a good deal
Charley
Old 01-04-08, 10:09 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

May have to do with that all red interior
The Diamond Black exterior paint is nice though.

I for sure won't pay more for it than for a comparable regular SC in my favorite color combination(s). . .
Old 01-04-08, 10:30 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

they can jack up the price all they way, but from what i see, PB, almost limited, isn't all that super high of a demand in the market. i wouldn't pay more than 1k for PB, even if that's my fav combo

btw, i think you are thinking too much of big brakes, phil BBK =/= KBB
Old 01-04-08, 10:36 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

You certainly must not be at a Lexus dealership. I would bet the farm that they wouldn't dare let a PB Edition off of their lot that far below the "published to public" value of a standard version. . . . .new or used! Sounds like a hell of deal. Just make sure if it is not a Lexus dealership, you have it checked thoroughly! Take it to a Lexus dealership and have them pull the maintenance records. They can usually run the VIN number and can tell you. May cost just a little to make sure it has been maintained properly. Still a savings if it is "clean".
Old 01-04-08, 11:47 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by moose66
You certainly must not be at a Lexus dealership. I would bet the farm that they wouldn't dare let a PB Edition off of their lot that far below the "published to public" value of a standard version. . . . . .
It's Keyes Lexus in Van Nuys...
Old 01-04-08, 12:10 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

6k under the edmund price, that's definitely not normal. doesn't make much sense imho. i know kbb price is always on the high side, always knock a few grands off and you are closer. edmund's price is usually pretty close.

i would look at other sc430 they have on the lot and compare the prices.
Old 01-05-08, 08:19 PM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Wow! The farm is all yours! Again, that is steal if the car is "clean"!
Old 01-06-08, 10:34 AM
Rustito
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought a 2004 PB certified from a Lexus Dealer in VA and didn't get into KBB value with them at all. In addition I insisted that the monitary value of a few year old Pebble Beach was - $0 - nada - big goose egg!! Value to me was the color combo of that years PB - but I was not about to hear rational from a dealership about jacking up the price of a 2004 because it was a PB. New the retail addition of PB is $2000, cost to dealer is $1600 of new PB.
Rustito
Old 01-08-08, 04:31 PM
KSUFlasher
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen several PB and other SCs on the used market. Can't say I've seen a dealer mark-up though. Same car just different colors - and the PB colors sometimes aren't that desired. Maybe if the PB was in black or white, and not offered in black or white for a non-PB, then possibly a premium would be added. However, I think most people have to be after that particular color scheme (e.g. black/red) to make the PB worthwhile for them.

I think limited edition cars are only 'valuable' to collectors, for the average joe who just wants to drive the car and trade it in within the next few years, limited edition doesn't mean anything.

Quick Reply: Pebble Beach + Kelley Blue Book...