SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

2002 sc 430 navigation reads "no disk detected"

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-07, 06:35 PM
gmorad
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 sc 430 navigation reads "no disk detected"

So out of the blue while driving, my navigation goes out into a blank grey screen. I took it in to one Lexus dealer and they thought my disk was bad. They said I should just order the new updated one.
I wasn't all that confident that the disk was the problem so I took it to another dealer (both were lexus), and they said I my compter was bad on the nav system and it would be $3000 to replace it unless they could pull it out of another vehicle, then it would be $1800. So my problem is, I would like to try the disk obviously first to see if that will solve the problem, but I don't want to shell out $300 and have it not work, and then learn it was the computer that was broke. Anyone know where I can get the updated disk for cheaper so I can at least try it. Please Help
Old 11-06-07, 07:40 PM
talwang

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

$3000?
which part? The display unit or the control module (DVD drive)?
Either one will cost you more than $3000 brand new.

I will try to unplug battery and reinstall the nav disc first.
By the way, you do use authentic OEM nav disc, correct?
The following users liked this post:
Given (04-03-19)
Old 11-07-07, 03:00 PM
gmorad
Driver School Candidate

I tried unplugging battery and letting it sit, then put the disk back in and it says it is reseting and there is Japanese writing on the screen. Then it goes to the part where you have to hit agree. Then it just says no disk detected. The screen and everything appears to work fine, it just won't read the disk. The disk I have is the original OEM disk the car came with. Do you think the disk could have just gone bad. The one dealer said it appears to be the disk and to just buy the new one. But the other dealer said the ECU was bad and needs to be replaced (ie 3k). Weird how one dealer says one thing, and another says another. Any suggestions on how I can get the new disk to test it before I go buy a whole new nav sysytem. I have contacted lexus directly and they said they were researching it and calling me back. Well that was over a week ago and I have never heard a thing.
Old 11-07-07, 05:43 PM
talwang

It sounds like a bad disc to me, but it worked fine before according to you.

If your nav disc is the oldest one (blue color 2.0), I would try to get a cheap used update disc like 3.1 on ebay to test it out.
Also, if you have tried non 2.0 disc in the nav drive before, then that 2.0 disc can no longer be accepted.
Old 11-23-07, 02:46 PM
talwang

I have the unfortunate update for your issue.

Do a google search and you should find more and more Denso gen2 nav computers start to give out because the weak dvd laser head.
I believe the nav computer in a 2002 SC430 is gen2.
part# 86841-50010

If you do nothing & your nav screen just pops up a "no disc detected" message all of a sudden, then it is most likely gone and you need a replacement.

The $1400-$1800 your dealer wanted to sell you was the refurbished one which should also tell you the existence of this issue.
Old 11-24-07, 12:13 PM
TEXAS83
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by talwang
I have the unfortunate update for your issue.

Do a google search and you should find more and more Denso gen2 nav computers start to give out because the weak dvd laser head.
I believe the nav computer in a 2002 SC430 is gen2.
part# 86841-50010

If you do nothing & your nav screen just pops up a "no disc detected" message all of a sudden, then it is most likely gone and you need a replacement.

The $1400-$1800 your dealer wanted to sell you was the refurbished one which should also tell you the existence of this issue.

what the hell?!? my sc is an '02, does that mean I can expect my nav to go out sometime soon? it has 70K miles and is covered under warranty until 100K or another 14 months....
Old 11-26-07, 08:16 PM
talwang

You are very smart to get an extended warranty for your 02.

Most 02 sc430 are also equipped with 86841-47020 which is a gen2 as well.

If your car is out of warranty, try to find an used gen3 replacement (86841-33060) that seems to have less problem or you can even go with gen4 (86841-50090).

Just don't buy an 86841-47020 or 86841-50010 again.
An used gen3/4 unit can be easiely found on ebay for less than $1,000.
Old 11-27-07, 06:10 AM
tfischer

Received 191 Likes on 144 Posts

You can check the disc by putting it into your computer's dvd drive, and looking at the files using "windows explorer" or any file system utility. If the disc is good, you will be able to see the directories and the file names (but of course they won't run on your computer).

If that does not work, then the disc is bad, although I don't know how a disc can go from being OK to being unreadable while in the drive, which generally cannot scratch, bend or otherwise damage a disc. The most probable failure is in the dvd drive in the car, as it's the most delicate.
Old 12-09-07, 09:19 PM
sexylexysc430
Driver

Default Gen 2 VS. Gen 3

this exact problem happened to me, but luckily it was covered under the lexus extended warranty. in one foul swoop, the extended warranty paid for itself..and i was finally satisfied that I didn't waste money by buying it.

is there any way to tell which generation navigation ecu (2 vs. 3) they replaced it with?

i had a 2002 model produced in 2001, so i know i had a Gen 2 to begin with, and I noticed some subtle changes in the replacement navigation operating system (in the search area map), compared to my old navigation software.
Old 12-09-07, 09:55 PM
talwang

The truth is the laser head failure in your dvd drive will come sooner or later no matter what gen your car has.
I've heard less issue from gen3 probably because it is newer.
If you plan to keep this car for a long term, be prepared for it.

gen2 vs gen3?
Not much from what I can tell. Gen3 has french language and it is a bit faster.
Also, it reads your backup DVD smoothly unlike gen2.
Old 01-08-08, 06:28 PM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by talwang
You are very smart to get an extended warranty for your 02.

Most 02 sc430 are also equipped with 86841-47020 which is a gen2 as well.

If your car is out of warranty, try to find an used gen3 replacement (86841-33060) that seems to have less problem or you can even go with gen4 (86841-50090).

Just don't buy an 86841-47020 or 86841-50010 again.
An used gen3/4 unit can be easiely found on ebay for less than $1,000.
Very good info Talwang. I may add this also as taken from another post:
"the gen4 ecu shows a colorful layout compared to the gen2/3 ecus. also on the gen4, the gps now shows buildings. fuction wise, it's pretty similar to the previous units.. i got the info from krburell.. "
Old 07-10-08, 05:00 PM
magyz
Driver School Candidate

Default "No disk detected" possible fix

I have a 2002 LX 470 and about 6 months ago the navigation system stopped working. The screen read "NO DISK DETECTED". I live about 3 hours from the nearest lexus dealership so I went to the Toyota dealership to see if it could be fixed. The toyota service people had no idea where the system was and told me I had lost the disk from the cd changer in the console. I told the man that the system had previosly worked fine and that the disk had never been in the cd changer. He said I was wrong and ordered a new disk. I went home and found this website and within 10 minutes discovered the navigation dvd player is located under the passenger seat. After finding it and ejecting the "missing disk", I realized the problem was with the dvd/navigation player. I tried cleaning the disk and the player to no avail. I then googled navigation service and found the following place, Audio & Video Service Stop in Massachusetts. I contacted them and spoke with Gary. He said he had some successes on prior Denso units (navigation manufacturer) but told me to send him the model and serial number so he could see if mine was a possibility. Lucky for me it was. I shipped it to them UPS and in 9 days now have a working Navigation system for $400.

Audio & Video Service Stop
288 Washington St.
Weymouth, Ma. 02188
(800)838-3394
www.videoservicestop.com

Lexus and Toyota do not even try and fix the players. They put in new systems or refurbished models. So before you buy a used player on ebay or have lexus replace your whole system check with them and see if they can fix yours. I get no kickbacks from this company, I only want others to be able to avoid being scammed at their dealerships.
Old 07-10-08, 06:57 PM
tfischer

Received 191 Likes on 144 Posts

"Scammed" means you think the dealership is cheating you. No dealership I know of ever tries to repair electronic components such as radios, CD players or NAV systems. They will always replace the unit, unless the owner wants to find an independent shop that will try a repair. (Same thing with TV sets, DVD players and VCR players, if anybody still uses VCR players.)

I have always found the three Lexus dealers close to me to be fair and honest and although expensive, they have never tried to "scam" me; but it's good that you let us know of this option so that we have the opportunity to avoid paying more than we might otherwise have paid at the dealership.
Old 08-23-08, 02:09 PM
Russ G
Driver

Has anyone ever tried to open the DVD Player box and replace just the DVD drive? On my LS430 the unit is in the trunk. If I can change out the DVD drive on my Dell computer, why not in this navigation unit? Any input? It doesn't work now. Will messing with it make it not work even worse?
Old 08-23-08, 03:59 PM
FALCON1
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Another reason to have the extended warranty.

Worse comes to worse..................buy a Tom Tom for 3 bills and spend the rest on tires and gas getting to all those great destinations.

I joked with the Lexus dealer that IF the top motors went sour and I did not have the extended warranty the SC would stay a hardtop.........8 grand buys alot of fun and gas.........

FALCON 1

Quick Reply: 2002 sc 430 navigation reads "no disk detected"