SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

2002 sc 430 navigation reads "no disk detected"

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-08, 08:55 AM
Russ G
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The extended warranty was great, unfortunately is expired 30 days before the Navigation unit did. In addition to the navigation, the unit reminds me about service intervals and most importantly my anniversary! Like I need that headache.
Old 09-24-08, 04:54 PM
george929a
Driver School Candidate

Default No Disc Detected can be fixed.

I have a DENSO Nav DVD in my 2002 RX300 that suddenly started to display the "No Disc Detected" message. Thanks to magyz's post in this thread, I called the "Audio & Video Service Stop" (www.videoservicestop.com). They quoted me $385 for the repair. Since I work 35 minutes from their location I dropped it off. I had a twenty minute conversation with Jim, the repair tech (Tom is the other tech, owner I think). Jim's a pretty nice guy. Here is what he told me.

There are not a lot of people who repair these because DENSO does not publish any specs or repair manual on their equipment. The "Audio" guys figured out how to repair them thanks to a local dealer who was desperate to sell a used Lexus that also had a "No Disc" error. According to Jim, the dealer was going to be charged ~4+k by the local Lexus dealer. This was going to blow any profit for the re-sale. So this dealer was desperate. The "Audio" store did not yet have a test rig to check out the hardware so the dealer actually loaned them the car for as long as they needed it to troubleshoot the problem. They tracked the problem down to the motor that drives the laser. It's turning out that this is what is wrong with most of the Lexus units they are seeing. This was what was wrong with mine. I dropped it off on Friday and it was ready on Tuesday. It now works as good as new. He did say that they have no long-term experience on how long the repair will stand-up. The replacement drive motor is a different model than the original but it has a higher spec. So in theory it should last longer than the original.

Here are some other gems from that conversation:

There are several Lexus dealers who are now sending him units to repair for the $385 price and then charging thousands to the customer. F'ing disgraceful if you ask me.

The "Audio" Store is a little shack of a building. You would never guess it based on their web site. 2 techs and 2 girls to answer the phone. They like to give the impression they are bigger than they are.

This Lexus Nav problem is a relatively recent but growing phenomenon. They are now getting 1-2 a day for repair. There was another one on the counter when I walked in to drop mine off.

Any moving part WILL eventually break. Every time you start your car, these built-in Nav units come on and read the disc (i.e. the moving parts move). So, if you want to stress your DVD-based NAV system less, only insert the DVD when you are going to use it and eject it after. Of course keeping the disc safe if it's not in the drive is another issue.

They were unable to repair a few units because the owner attempted to repair it themselves and ended up damaging it further.

Sorry for the long post. I hope this sheds some light on the issue. I learned a lot during that conversation. I thought I should share.

George
Old 11-16-08, 04:53 PM
azrick
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Interior fasteners

I need to pull mine and give them a call. It's in the trunk area. There are a number of interior fasteners holding the carpet down - button shaped with a couple of slots cut in them. Rotating them has no effect - suggestions? Is there a special tool involved? Upward pull? I'd rather not break them if there's a technique involved...
Old 11-16-08, 07:04 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Just use a trim tool [ you can buy it at autozone ] or I just use a slotted screw driver that is smaller in width then the slot . I insert the screwdriver through both slots and I pull up. The fastner will come out . The trim tool is like a slotted fork you use like as a prybar. I also ordered extra fasners from lexus in case I needed some . Bastards charge like $ 2.75 a fastner.

Buddy
Old 12-03-08, 08:52 AM
bmanke
Driver School Candidate

Default Thank you! DVD Drive Part Repair Question?

First of all I would like to thank those of you who posted the information on the DVD drive repair. I just upgraded to generation 3 from my broken generation 2. What a difference! Faster, more detail & more accurate. Again - Thank YOU!

Second question - I now have a broken generation 2 drive. I would to get the part to fix it - I have a friend who repairs circuit boards on Sikorsky Helicopters so I am sure he could handle it. The nice lady at the Audio Shop refused to sell me the part. Can somebody find out how to get the part or convince the people at the Audio Shop to sell me the part? I am sure somebody with a little pull or personal relationship could get it done. I can understand why he wouldn't help me - being just some guy who called up on the phone.

Thank you for your help!
Brian
Old 02-01-09, 11:46 AM
kjenkinz
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up You can FINALLY do it yourself!! I've figured it out!

First of all I would like to say thank you two the person that presented questions to the people at the audio and video place that's charging almost 400.00 to repair these units. To repair them yourself... all you need to do is remove the ECU DVD from your vehicle, open it up, remove the 4 screws where which is holding the main laser unit down. Remove the two ribbon strips and power connecter located on the back of that section. After doing so you can remove that entire section. Remove the four housing screws in the four corners, Turn the unit over. Now you can begin removing the data board. Remove the attached ribbons perspectively. Don't be afraid to untape the black tap from the board to remove the wrap under ribbon, it will restick. Now, on the section holding the laser, laser motor, and cd motor, there are 3 screws to remove. Once removed you can now take the laser portion out. Remove the ribbon for ease of labor. The issue is in fact the motor NOT THE LASER! I've located them by doing a simple search on the web for the motor model: PPN13KA12C. I paid 2.10 plus shipping. Removed the laser motor from the end housing clip. You'll need to get a small solder gun from a craft store (ie. Radio Shack) and remove the wires from the old motor and solder them to the new one. Move the gear from the old one to the new one. Reassemble, attach all ribbons, and reinstall back in your prospective vehicle location. Start your vehicle, reinsert the Navigation DVD. You'll be a happy camper and best of all the fix is completed in less than an hour and you've spent less than 10.00. I personally purchased a few of these motors for security purposes, just in case the event should occur once again. Once again, thank you everyone! Hope this helps the rest of you!!
Old 02-01-09, 11:53 AM
bmanke
Driver School Candidate

Default Going to Give it a Try!

Thank you for the post. As luck would have it I still have my old drive kicking around. I am going to order the part - I'll let you know how I make out!

Thank You!!!!
Old 02-01-09, 02:40 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

...dang it !!! wish this was posted last week(lol)...sent my unit off,last friday....thenx for info !!! ed
Old 02-01-09, 02:56 PM
talwang

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

So it is this little sucker that causes the problem after all.
Hope to see someone post up a write-up with pics soon.
Still, I think gen3/4 computer works better than gen2 if you decide to upgrade.

Old 02-22-09, 07:40 AM
bmanke
Driver School Candidate

Default DVD Drive Succesfully Repaird

Success!
After several miss-fires in attempting to obtain that little motor, I finally got one. Installing the motor is probably not for the faint at heart. Although its not terribly hard, its extremely tedious and of course you have to be very careful. One thing that would have really helped me out is the data cables have little release tabs on each side that need to be pulled back before you try to disconnect them. If you pull the tabs back first they will slide right out.

Also, you'll need a very good little screwdriver. I broke two screwdrivers trying to get the screws out because they were so tight.

Attached is a photo of the bad motor. The left brush is completely worn off - it just plain self destructed. When I took it out you could hear it grinding around in there.

Now that I have done one - I could probably easily do the next one.

Again - thank you to all for your help in this endeavor - it is very much appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails 2002 sc 430 navigation reads "no disk detected"-100_5895.jpg  
Old 02-23-09, 07:28 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mad props to you guys the very useful information. I am sure alot of us is going to have to go through this in the future and no one wants to spend alot of $ for repair.
Old 02-24-09, 11:00 AM
NGREENE
Driver School Candidate

Hi BManke,
Congratulations on your success! Can you tell me where you got the replacement motor, and what the part number was? I've tried finding the PPN13KA12C, but no success yet.
Old 02-27-09, 08:50 PM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

I have a 01' GS and the navi just gave up on me yesterday. Not particularly a handy guy but with the recession I am going to give it a shot and do it myself~ Thanks for all the information. I will post the result soon.
Old 03-08-09, 10:14 PM
4runner
Driver School Candidate

Hello bmanke, great work. I believe I have the same issue. I have a 86841-33060 in my wifes 03 land cruiser that just died. Would you be interested in trying to fix another one for some $$?
Old 03-10-09, 09:07 PM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

i have no luck finding the motor!

Quick Reply: 2002 sc 430 navigation reads "no disk detected"