SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

dead battery. can't shift to neutral.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-07, 10:55 AM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default dead battery. can't shift to neutral.

i was trying to align my headlights last night and forgot to switch them off. now the battery is dead and i need to shift it to neutral to roll it out of the garage and jump it. but it won't shift. the dealer said to turn it to on and step on the brake. doesn't work. i just get a buzzing sound coming from the engine compartment. is there any way to shift it? or do i just need to take the battery out and get it charged?
Old 10-31-07, 11:45 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

just do the manual switch, it's in the manual

to the left of the shift stick, you should see a plastic cover where you can stick a flat head screwdriver and pop it out. then press the button underneath and put the stick in N then roll out. careful, you have no brakes no nothing, find a way to stop the car
Old 10-31-07, 11:48 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Turn the ignition key to "on" and step on the brake, that should let you take it out of neutral.

If that doesn't work, there's a manual override for the shift-interlock. It's under the little squareish cover just forward and to the left of the gear lever. Pop the cover off and you can get to the interlock switch.

See page 270 of your owners manual.....it states...

1) Turn the ignitionn switch to "LOCK" or "ACC", Make sure the parking brake is applied. Pry up the cover with a flat-bladed screwdriver or equivalent.

2) Insert your finger, the screwdriver or equivalent into the hole to push down the shift lock overrride buton. You can shift the selector lever while pushing the button.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-31-07, 11:51 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Darn you rominl....I couldn't post fast enough! I didn't want to be wrong so, I wasted time by getting manual out fo my car so I could quote it! lol
Old 10-31-07, 01:25 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

lol, at least you have the manual to look at. i don't even have the freaking car anymore
Old 04-11-14, 06:50 PM
speedlvr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post dead battery, car stuck in garage

Hi there...I am worried that if I shift to manual and am getting pulled out backwards...how do I stop the car when it starts rolling if brakes don't work. Do I switch quickly bad to manual while it is moving? Or make sure I have enough manpower to come to full stop BEFORE switching back to automatic?
And, I have been looking online for a manual. I bought the car last summer, no manual.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 04-11-14, 07:15 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

You can use the emergency shift override and the brakes should still work regardless. Put the key in the ignition to the ON position which will allow you to turn the wheel. Then, there's a little slot on the gear shifter panel in the top left corner. Use a flat screwdriver to pop it up and then while seated in the car, use the same screwdriver down in the hole and press the shift release. Then you should be able to shift into neutral. The car should still respond to brakes and the emergency step brake, too.

As for the manual, I believe you can request a free one from Lexus at Lexus.com after registering. Not sure if that's a free hardcopy or electronic copy, though.
Old 04-11-14, 08:50 PM
mdpuff
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everyone is correct but you don't actually have to pop out the little square panel by your shifter, just take your ignition key, put it in the slot and push down the shifter lock, (the little slot is sized for your key), foot on the brake, shift to neutral then put your key in the ignition turn it on to unlock your steering, take foot off brake and you can push back. You will have brakes but not "Power" brakes so you just have to push harder on the pedal, remember you still have your emergency brake to stop you if you need it.
Hope this helps! Good luck!
Old 04-12-14, 12:08 AM
Moonstruck
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You can get an on line manual by downloading the My Lexus ap. Lots of good things on this ap, including the service history of your car. You have to register with My Lexus to get the history. Paul
Old 04-22-14, 01:29 PM
speedlvr
Driver School Candidate

Thank you all for your comments.
I am in Ontario, Canada and the weather is finally cooperating to get my baby out of the garage.
Old 01-02-19, 02:35 PM
Bansplace
Driver School Candidate

Default Thank you!

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
You can use the emergency shift override and the brakes should still work regardless. Put the key in the ignition to the ON position which will allow you to turn the wheel. Then, there's a little slot on the gear shifter panel in the top left corner. Use a flat screwdriver to pop it up and then while seated in the car, use the same screwdriver down in the hole and press the shift release. Then you should be able to shift into neutral. The car should still respond to brakes and the emergency step brake, too.

As for the manual, I believe you can request a free one from Lexus at Lexus.com after registering. Not sure if that's a free hardcopy or electronic copy, though.
thank you very much! You saved me!