SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Speaker Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-07, 02:19 PM
quadocox
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speaker Help

Just picked up my baby on Saturday and drove all the way home.
Did not notice a slight rattling in driver side mid speaker. I think it's blown. Anyone know how much i'm looking at to replace it?
Old 10-15-07, 02:26 PM
Lapraka
Driver

Sorry to hear about your speaker. The Dealer in Salt Lake City quoted $225. Two months ago i scored one on ebay for $108 (including shipping). I would try to repair it though before you throw it away.

Try this
http://www.newfoam.com/kits.asp

Good Luck!
Old 10-16-07, 05:32 PM
Cheerwino
Driver School Candidate

Bummer. The same happened upon receiving my wife's new used '02 SC 430 ride. We were expecting amazing sound only to find rattles.

If you want to stick with the factory set up, I would first try refoaming. I am expecting to get our 6x9s back from www.speakerdoctor.com any day now, so I will post a review when I get everything working. They have been fine to work with so far. Cost is $25 a piece plus shipping costs both ways.

I've used Newfoam for home speakers with good results. Considering the pain in getting to the car speakers out, my fear that the coil or cone was also damaged and the odd size, I elected to send these off instead of trying to refoam myself. If they look okay except for the foam separation, you should be able to refoam yourself. Just try to get the speakers out ASAP since continuing to play them can damage the cone and coil, I understand. Or, you can reduce the bass and mid settings to almost nothing. Just pretend you have a transistor radio in the meantime.

ZGone has done us a great service with his excellent post on removing the door panel and speakers. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=288367 I just can't thank him enough since he is saving me hundreds of dollars! Cheers ZGone!

He and others here advocate changing to an aftermarket speaker. However, to match the 8 ohm needed to work with the factory amp, you will probably have to make a 6 1/2" fit in the 6x9 hole, which ZGone explains. I just didn't feel that handy and wanted to give the factory sound a chance before I started fiddling with it. I would definitely refoam or replace with an aftermarket speaker before I paid $100 and up for an ML replacement.

Good luck!
Old 10-24-07, 06:32 PM
Cheerwino
Driver School Candidate

Okay, I got my speakers back from refoaming at www.speakerdoctor.com for $25 each (+ shipping). I did the 6x9 woofers in the doors and the subwoofer. The others seemed fine. Speaker Doctor in Charlotte, NC was pleasant to deal with and were careful to make sure they could indeed repair the speakers (they asked for photos first and called me to discuss before they proceeded). Since the coils and cone were okay, it was no problem replacing the foam surround. It appears they used a high-quality adhesive, more than just Elmer's like some DIY refoam kits and definitely more professional looking than I could have done. The speakers were well packed in the double boxes I originally shipped. I just sent the speakers and reinstalled them in the mounting brackets myself so I would be sure it was done right (or I would be the one who screwed it up, if not).

I followed the instructions for speaker removal posted by ZGone to get back in the doors and rear seat. It was much easier the second time. Raamat sound deadening material was added in the sub area, rear seat and doors before the speakers were reinstalled.

How does it sound? Quite good. Definitely the best factory sound I have heard. Now, this is the first time I have heard the factory system, as these three speakers were blown when we bought the car used a few weeks ago (2002 SC 430). So, I can't say how it might have been improved by the sound deadening. The speakers are now listenable. The wife is quite pleased (it's her car).

For those needing to replace blown ML speakers but want to stick with the factory sound, I would definitely recommend refoaming services from www.speakerdoctor.com instead of buying a replacement from the dealer or even eBay. You might consider refoaming yourself, if you are particularly handy. I have refoamed several sets of home speakers in the past. However, I think refoaming an oval might be a bit more challenging than a circle. Also, the adhesive Speaker Doctor used is better than what I have used in the past. Either way, you can save big over what the dealer charges.

ZGone replaced his factory speakers, so more experimental types who are dissatisfied with the factory sound should read his post https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=288367 and the one here https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=304470 on other speaker alternatives. Personally, the factory ML sounds good (nothing sounds good when the foam degrades, though). If I wanted better sound and had a thousand+ $s to front I would replace the amp and all speakers with new aftermarket components. For under $100 and a lot of sweat equity I was able to revitalize the factory system and am happy with the choice.
Old 10-24-07, 07:05 PM
talwang

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I fixed mine for only $8.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hlight=speaker
Old 10-27-07, 05:12 PM
Cheerwino
Driver School Candidate

Even better!
Old 10-29-07, 06:09 PM
ZGone
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

After what I saw the quality of the ML speakers I wouldn't even consider refoaming them. Just do a simple upgrade with new. I can't beleive how good the sound system is now. My Z has the Bose (Blows) system which even after I upgraded the speakes and amps dosen't sound nearly as good.

Cheers,
ZGone
Old 10-29-07, 06:22 PM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So you changed speakers? What's did you replace the OE with?
Old 03-08-08, 04:05 PM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone else use Speaker Doctor? I'm seriously considering sending mine off.
Old 04-26-09, 08:03 PM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

Just curious how the speaker refoaming job has held up after couple of years? My speakers are now blown and looking into options.
Old 04-26-09, 08:49 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZGone
After what I saw the quality of the ML speakers I wouldn't even consider refoaming them. Just do a simple upgrade with new. I can't beleive how good the sound system is now. My Z has the Bose (Blows) system which even after I upgraded the speakes and amps dosen't sound nearly as good.

Cheers,
ZGone
I agree. These ML speakers are astronomically overpriced junk.

Who the heck uses "foam" anymore on speakers?
Especially in a car environment where they could be exposed to from sub zero frost forming tempeatures to way above 120F to the point where kids and pets locked in has caused them to die.
Old 04-28-09, 02:02 PM
Lapraka
Driver

Refoaming still holds. Has been almost 1 year and the SubWoofer still sounds ok. On another speaker i used silicone... that one is holding too.
Old 04-28-09, 08:51 PM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

ML speakers suck unless you like classical music! I don't listen to hardcore rap, but I like RnB, top 40, jazz and these speakers are underpowered IMHO. My Bose KILLS these speakers in my FX, and my G, and my older FX and my 1992 Maxima!!!

I replaced five of my ML speakers already and before my warranty is all over, I intend on finding or making one more of them rattle so I can replace the sixth!

They are unbelievably expensive for the crappy sound.

I would totally recommend buying the eBay ones. I saw some for $100 as well recently.