SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

steering/handling

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-02, 08:55 PM
alain
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy steering/handling

Have ~1800 miles on my sc430, with run-flat tires. The others who have driven the car and I all feel that the handling has something wrong with it. Basically, it seems like the steering system has a mind of its own. I fell like I'm wrestling with it frequently. It tugs hard, sometimes to the right, and sometimes to the left. It seems to be most common while breaking -- but not agressive breaking; even just breaking at low speeds. Also, it seems more common on roads with small bumps in them; large bumps are not a problem. But even on smooth roads, it sometimes has the problem. So, I'm puzzled.

At first I thought it was an alignment problem, but it goes to both sides and I had it checked out at the 1000 mile service and they said it had no alignment issues. The dealership says that this is "normal behavior of a car with wide tires", which does not seem to be the case based on other cars I've driven.

Otherwise, I love the car, but this problem is sort of hindering the enjoyment. The car feels unstable and a bit out of control.

Anyone else out there experienced this? Thanks for your replies. I'm trying to figure out what to tell Lexus.
Old 01-04-02, 04:50 AM
CaptPJB
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would not say mine pulled hard but I do agree the steering seems to have a mind of its own. It really seams to wander on a ribbed surface and small bumps set it off too. I only have 300 miles on mine but I do not expect it to get better. Had a go around with the dealer before I bought the car, I did not want the run flats but apparently that is the only way they come now. I purchased the donut spare kit as I intend to replace the run flats with a conventional tire when they wear out. If I can wait that long. So I ended up paying extra for tires I did not want then I had to purchase a spare which would have been standard without the "tire upgrade". To replace the tires right off the bat with conventional tires the dealer wanted $2,200.

I have had two other cars with runflats a Prowler and a Vette and although they rode hard they did not seem to have this "wander" problem.

I intend to bring it up at my 30 day check up but from previous conversations I do not expect much of an answer from either Lexus or my dealer.

Regards
Peter
Old 01-04-02, 07:37 AM
Carnut
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just replaced my run flats with Pilot Sports, the difference is night and day. The car rides and handles much better. I also had the brake equalization checked and mine as I suspect yours is was not right. No problem now. I hve never liked run flats on any car and had mine replaced within the first month, it is a shame Lexus does not other us a choice.
Old 01-04-02, 09:28 AM
LexusSC430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know exactly what your sayin about the car drifting and what not. I believe its one of the problems of low profile tires in general and tight steering. Im sure if you had lexus loosen the steering much of the problem would go away. Here in NJ our roads are some of the most wonderfuly maintained ones (yeah right....well compared to lousiana anyway) I have 255 fronts and 295 rears on this car and where there are bumps the car goes. Im sorry that I dont really have an answer for you. I guess im pretty used to it thats all. The car rides 100 times betetr then anything ive ever had. Its at slower speeds if im not correct? As for the braking well thats just going to happen the brakes are very strong and the suspension isnt all that "firm" plus the car weighs 3800lbs. I dunno if you have ever slammed on the brakes in and SUV but it feels like its on ice. Just hope it doesnt outweigh the good of the car for you.
Old 01-04-02, 07:35 PM
antigeek
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Unnoticeable

Maybe it's just me, but I don't notice any of these symptoms. I do get an ugly thump from the rear wheels every now and then when I go over the speed bumps in my apt. complex, but it's not too annoying.

With over 1300 miles on it now (with run-flats), I've been over rough roads, grooved roads -- everything. I had a '93 SC400 with Dunlop Sport 8000s on it, which provided a tighter but rougher ride than the Goodyears or Michelins, but I liked it. Maybe I'm used to Lexus handling. To me, it's smooth, if not a bit less responsive than the SC400 (with the Dunlops). Passengers call it an incredibly smooth ride (apparently they haven't been in an LS430

I haven't experienced any pulling from the tires, either. I'll keep an eye on it over the weekend and see if I can sense anything.